1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone 5 /w/ Otterbox Defender phone mount and charging cable install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Ken Blake, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I installed the phone mount awhile back, but hadn't taken the time to fish the 10 foot Lightning cable from the center storage box to the mount location. I had some spare time today, so I did it. I no longer have to choose between optimal phone location and being able to charge the phone.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. Dan316

Dan316 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Trying to hide the charging cable I came across your post. How did you route the cable like this? Does it require a lot of technical skills and opening up the insides?

3. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The install was almost tool-less. The Lightning connector is small enough to pass through most holes, so I started in the center storage box, after removing the liner and a couple of screws in the bottom of the box, then simply worked my way up the driver's side of the center console, tucking the wire under the edge of the console as I went. I ran it up along the underside of the dash, using a couple of zip ties to secure it to existing wiring harnesses, then tucked it in the crack between the A-pillar and the dash.

Dan316 likes this.
  4. Dan316

Dan316 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great. Thanks for the info Ken. I will give it a try as well.

Ken Blake likes this.
  5. Dan316

Dan316 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender1.jpg

Got it done today! Thanks for your helpful input Ken.

For those who want to try this, here are some more details to what Ken has given…maybe most of you know this already but there may be some like me who are absolute newbies who want to it give a try. One caution: be gentle and do not pry or pull on the plastics too hard!

I first ordered the proclip from Priuschat store. Great service and works as advertised. I think it’s the best clip I have ever seen or used. I got the 10 foot long iPhone 5 charging cable from A’zon (“ZeroLemon” brand) and unscrewed the screws at the bottom of the plastic compartment in between the seats, which has the charging outlets. Then I inserted the cable through the now open hole on the driver side-the back one, and I found I had to tilt the whole assemble upwards a little, away from its moorings for the wire to pass inside the hole-note that the ‘hole’ is the space in between the plastic floor of the small compartment where you keep stuff like your iPod and the plastic underneath it, and not the hole where you screw back the nut to hold the compartment in place.

The charging cable has to be stiff and of good quality for it to slide inside. I think it follows the path of least resistance but you may have to angle it toward the driver side for it to find its way out on that side at the bottom of that compartment. I found it had come out underneath the plastic assembly just beneath where you put the seatbelt in. From here I could use my fingers to pry away the plastic casing of the space-craft like thingy which holds all the controls & then bring it out at the spot where the gas pedal is underneath the steering wheel. From there, I wondered how to get it to the phone holder (by the way the proclip holder is awesome with the phone mount-worth the cost-and I had first mounted it on the left of the driver’s side-see photo).

Anyway, I found there was a black plastic cover under the steering wheel which could be unscrewed by two screws (this also holds the dim light which lights your gas pedal area under the steering wheel in the 2013 Prius). Then I found I could run the wire on this plastic cover and re-screw it back in place. I did use one tie next to the place where it runs behind the emergency brake under the plastic panel to prevent it from falling below and obstruct the brake, and then I found the cable was short by 3 inches! The solution was to thread it some more from the initial hole and having got more length I then could thread it behind the rubber siding of the A bar which nicely hides it till I got it out close to the proclip mount. Once I out the iPhone there, it is a perfect fit to charge and I can leave it there in case I want to use the phone for navigation without losing my charge.

One problem-I forgot the get the phone out of the proclip when I went to the office! After 5 minutes of being phoneless inside the office, I realized it and then went back to the car and retrieved it! That’s just to say the phone feels at home in it’s spot now inside the proclip on being charged!

Cheers!

Ken Blake likes this.
  6. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm glad I could help. Now I'm waiting for my 6+ to arrive, and for ProClip to release a holder for a 6+ with case.

Dan316 likes this.