1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iphone 6 Bluetooth issues!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Vintage Pep, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Vintage Pep

Vintage Pep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I'm having another issue with my 2016 prius.

Bluetooth!! I'm using an iPhone 6plus and the issues Im having is that when I'm streaming music and a call comes in I answer it via the bluetooth connection and the music continues to play while the call is answered. So I have to hang up and call back to clear the issue. It happens with my iTunes music, soundcloud app, and the spotify app.

When I visited the dealer on an unrelated issue the tech stated there is no update as of yet for the base prius two radio system.

Anyone else having issues with their bluetooth connectivity with a newer smart phone??

Thanks,

2. SpiniSpipi

SpiniSpipi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don't have the issue mentioned but a different one. I use an iPhone 6s, whenever it's connected to the bluetooth music starts to play in a fast forward fashion. So I have to turn off and on so it can play normally.

3. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have the 6plus. I have taken calls with music playing and the music pauses while the call is on. I don't know why it would do that.

4. nategold

nategold Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Works fine for me and my wife. Here is what I suggest:

1. Delete the Entune app unless you absolutely need Pandora. It is evil.

2. Make sure you are running iOS 9.3.1.

3. From settings Bluetooth forget the car device.

4. Delete the phone from the car.

5. Do a hard reboot of the phone - hold down the home and lock button until the apple appears.

6. Set up the car and phone Bluetooth stuff again.

5. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have an iPhone 6 and have a similar problem. Whenever I get in the car with my iPhone, the music stored on the phone starts playing. I have to stop it from the car's screen. The Music app is not running on the iPhone so I don't know how the car's Bluetooth gets in there and ferrets it out. I have tried "forgetting" the iPhone on the car's bluetooth and then reinstalling it choosing Phone only, not for Audio. Soon thereafter, when I check the bluetooth connection on the car's screen it has changed itself to Phone PLUS Audio.

I'm also unclear what "Audio" includes. How about:
    - the voice portion of Apple Maps which I use as a Nav system?
    - music that I stream via Safari?
    - Siri?

6. SpiniSpipi

SpiniSpipi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Same here I have that problem too. It seems as if whatever triggers the music to play doesn't care about any other music apps but the music stored in my phone. I feel it kind of annoying.

Update: took car to dealer, they claimed they updated the software of the nav unit, fast forward issue is gone.

7. nategold

nategold Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So it doesn't start playing even though Bluetooth streaming is on? Mine always starts playing, just like some other Bluetooth devices. A speaker I have at home does the same thing when you connect to it from the iPhone.

8. SpiniSpipi

SpiniSpipi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The music does play whenever my phone is automatically connected to the car's audio system, but it does it in a fast forward fashion.

9. Vintage Pep

Vintage Pep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Thanks I'll try that! And yeah I agree with everyone as well. When the phone automatically connects via bluetooth it starts playing my iTunes music automatically and it sometimes on fast forward! I wonder if there is a setting in the iPhone itself that prevents this.

10. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Vintage Pep, @SpiniSpipi, et.al.:
    I phoned the Toyota Customer Service Center (800)331-4331 and after selecting various options reached an Entune tech who was extremely helpful, said Toyota is familiar with the problem, and gave me a temporary workaround involving changing iPhone settings:

1. Select the “Settings” feature from the app screen.

2. Then access the Cellular option from the Settings screen.

3. Inside of the Cellular settings, swipe down the screen until “Music” can be seen.

4. Swipe this application slider to the left side, this would turn the Music connection off which will stop auto-play.

5. If you wish to listen to your Music through this system, one would simply need to swipe the slider to the “On” or green position.

I am on a trip so can't test it until I get home next week.

Various other things the tech told me:
    - There is two-way Bluetooth communication between the phone and the car, so that the car is controlling the iPhone in some respects, which is not the iPhone's usual situation. Ten years ago I had a car with an Alpine head unit that I plugged my iPod into and it controlled the iPod, this is probably similar.
    - The iPhone is basically an iPod with LOTS of features added. So it has a built-in "auto-play" feature and this is what the car's Entune activates via Bluetooth to give us these problems. Which may explain why the "Music" app on the iPhone does not show up as loaded when I am having this problem.
    - It's a struggle to make Entune/Bluetooth work across a wide range of cell phones with different characteristics.
    - When pairing the iPhone to the car, the choice "Phone Only" or "Phone Plus Audio" is irrelevant. It is aimed at older cell phones which used "dual lane" Bluetooth (one lane for phone, the other for audio). Newer phones like the iPhone 6 use a single lane for everything. Choose "Phone Only".
    - Toyota will probably release a rev of Entune to deal with this. I don't know how we will know when this has happened.

I can't vouch for any of this but it sounds sensible.

P.S. Someone on this forum suggested that Toyota make a dedicated spot for people to place their cell phones (the Qi charging in upper Prius models is a start?). The tech said that liability and legality are issues. The whole distracted driving/cell-phone-use-in-cars thing is in a state of flux at the moment. Texting or emailing with the fingers is not allowed, but how about dictating them to Siri and having her read incoming ones aloud? And the increasingly common use of GPS apps on smartphones: how is that more distracting than standalone GPS map displays (which personally I thought were distracting)? So a great idea whose time has not arrived yet.

I suggested a magnet attachment method (like the ones Koomus uses for their aftermarket mounts) but am not sure if this might interfere with wireless phone charging?? Attaching the phone to the car magnetically might accommodate phones of different sizes better than clips could.

#10 JohnF, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    vitiligo and SpiniSpipi like this.
  11. SpiniSpipi

SpiniSpipi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thank you so much.

Now that you mentioned I've noticed my settings were actually adjusted by the dealer so that it doesn't auto play anymore. Instead I need to touch the audio part of the screen to activate the music but by doing so, music plays normally now.

12. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounded sensible but the workaround did not work for me and much of the above seems to be wrong. Sorry!!!

To keep the music in my iPhone from playing all the time in the car, I had to either hit the two-vertical-bar "atop" icon whenever I turned on the ignition, or turn off the audio system entirely (which meant I couldn't get verbal direction from the Apple Maps lady or stream music via Safari). The only bright spot was that phone calls still played over the audio system even if it was turned off.

After discussions today with a Toyota Entune Support Supervisor and an Apple Tech Support guy, I think we know what is going on. To keep the phone charged in the car, I plugged it into the USB port in the center island between the two front seats. MISTAKE. As explained on p 425 of the Owner's Manual (if I had read it), that is a data port for iPod, Portable audio player, or USB memory device. So when the iPhone was connected there, Entune considered it to be an iPod and activated Auto Play in it to play my music. From that point on, even when there was no cable connection and my iPhone was connected via Bluetooth instead, Entune remembered it as an iPod and insisted on streaming its iTunes library.

The fix:
    (1) Reset the iPhone's Network Settings. First be aware that doing this will erase the stored passwords for any password-protected wifi networks you use. As you come into range of each wifi network, you will have to re-enter the password for it. If you are OK with this, go to "Settings", "General", and scroll down to "Reset" at the bottom, and then hit "Reset Network Settings".
    (2) Then you will have to re-establish the Bluetooth pairing between the iPhone and the car's Entune system, which you can do from the touchscreen in the car.
    (3) To avoid having this problem happen again, either:
    (a) Get a 'dumb" USB-to-iPhone cord that carries only power, no data connections, and leave it in that USB port
    or (b) Buy a USB adapter for the 12v power socket just to the left of the USB port in the center island and plug the cable that came with your iPhone into this adapter (and snap the little cap over the other, USB, port so you aren't tempted to use it)

This worked for me, so far at least. I am able to stream music from Safari and get directions from Apple Maps, and the music on my iPhone doesn't start playing whenever I turn on the ignition when the audio system is set to "on".

#12 JohnF, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Vintage Pep likes this.