1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone and the Prius - Yes, I got one...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GeekEV, Jun 30, 2007.

1. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, so who was wondering if the iPhone will work with the Prius bluetooth? Now that I have one, here's the answer: yes and no. It pickups the handsfree perfectly, show the battery charge, signal strength, etc., on the Prius. My old phone didn't do that. It also sounds great, whereas my old phone (in the car) sounded like I was in a cave (or so I was told). :)

The bad news is the iPhone doesn't (yet?) seem to support pushing contacts via bluetooth, so there's no way to upload my phonebook. :(

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Cutting edge! And only a few cuts...

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Give it time. I'll bet a geek with an iPhone and a Prius develops a hack.

Unless it's an at&t problem.

4. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too think it will come in time. At least it seems to fully support the handsfree protocol, unlike so many phone I've read about here (including my last one). I get the distinct impression Apple was pressed for time and in order to make their scheduled release date they had to "defer" the more esoteric features. How many people are really going to do that anyway? We do know that they can push software updates with feature enhancements, and I've heard they plan on doing just that (not sure with what) possibly in as little as 30 days... All in all, though, very cool!

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Jun 30 2007, 01:10 AM) [snapback]470528[/snapback]</div>
    Be sure to download/upgrade to iTunes 7.3 for all your iPhone happiness.

6. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jun 30 2007, 01:23 AM) [snapback]470530[/snapback]</div>
    Oh yes. You can't even activate the darn thing without that...

P.S. This was read and replied to on the iPhone itself! How cool is that?

7. TurkeyButt

TurkeyButt New Member

So does it work as quickly as it does in the commercials? I heard that the commercials did not represent it in the way it actually works. Just wondering if that is true or not...

Enjoy your new toy!

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, that's pretty cool.

How long did you stand in line?

9. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TurkeyButt @ Jun 30 2007, 05:31 AM) [snapback]470555[/snapback]</div>
    If you are in a wifi hotspot it works as fast your the wifi pipe. It is capable of 56mb where my home wireless network is something like 3mb.

Now if you are using the AT&T wireless data that is like 156kb which is like only 2 to 3 times faster than dial up and in this day and age that seems like forever. AT&T is "the weakest link".

No I don't have one. But then since doesn't sync address books with the Prius I'm going to wait until my sucky Verizon contract runs out about a year from now.

I just found the following here:

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/30/iphone-seco...-and-answering/

It's surprisingly fast. The best speed test I've found so far for Safari on the iPhone is dlsreports.com/mspeed, offering a really scaled down page with a few download size options and no-nonsense results. I'm getting, on average, about 150 kbit/sec downloads on my phone. In light of the drawbacks of EDGE's (traditional) speed, the only reason that makes sense as to why Apple and AT&T didn't make some massive announcement of a network upgrade is that they're getting hammered this weekend with iPhone activations and people tinkering around with surfing via EDGE.

Google Maps usually impresses me with its speed when viewing satellite images over EDGE. Simply viewing the standard map and searching for a location is almost always snappy over EDGE (sometimes there seems to be a delay, but not often), and even downloading satellite imagery is usable.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Jun 30 2007, 12:01 AM) [snapback]470517[/snapback]</div>
    Think Planet of the Apes. "Damn them. Damn them all the hell!"

10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  11. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

A question for iPhone owners: is it possible to use it as a PDA, web viewer, email reader, etc. without activating it with AT&T? I mean, using its WI-FI capabilities without using it as a phone? I ask because where I live the iPhone is set to arrive several months from now. A friend could buy one for me in the US and I could use it for a while as a phoneless iPhone.

12. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OlsonBW @ Jun 30 2007, 07:44 AM) [snapback]470590[/snapback]</div>
    the biggest reason why i am so disappointed. verizon and sprints internet speeds pk at 2 Mbits with nominal speeds advertised at 400-800 kbs. (i average 1.2 Mbs most of the time) sure its cheaper, but i MUCH rather pay extra and spend less time waiting

14. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TurkeyButt @ Jun 30 2007, 05:31 AM) [snapback]470555[/snapback]</div>
    The gui is very slick and very responsive. Typing works quite well, though I'm no two thumbs blackberry typist... On wifi the data speeds are very good, although the EDGE speeds are slower I find them reasonably acceptable. 95Kbps on the speed test I just ran.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 30 2007, 06:00 AM) [snapback]470559[/snapback]</div>
    About an hour and a half - not bad at all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jun 30 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]470649[/snapback]</div>
    According to an interview I read with Jobs, there are two reasons why no 3G yet. The chips are too big, they wanted them smaller. Also, he said the battery life wasn' t good with the 3G chips. They'll add it when the semiconductor makers get that under control.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So the 3G technology hasn't caught up with the demand. Sorta like the Volt still waiting for battery technology.

Well, it will come. 2nd or 3rd gen iPhone.

Did you get a T-shirt while you waited in line?

(I love your mouse. Is his name Mr. Zorg too?)

16. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Jun 30 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]470636[/snapback]</div>
    No. None of the iPhone's capabilities will work unless and until it has been activated.

17. ATOM_SF

ATOM_SF Junior Member

I'm lovin' the iPhone right now as well. One question for the other iPhoners ... Does it work with either the DICE or VAIS iPod connectors for music?

I just got my Prius and have held off buying either a DICE or VAIS until I know if they work or not. Thanks!

18. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Too cutting edge for me. I'll wait until they are under 50 bucks. :rolleyes:

19. sassypamela

sassypamela New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ATOM_SF @ Jun 30 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]470712[/snapback]</div>

We have the EXACT same car!! My car twin! And I just gave up my convertible, too :) (it was a Saab 9-3 Aero, close though!)

20. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusincc @ Jun 30 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]470717[/snapback]</div>
    I think I'll be able to get through the rest of my life without one.