1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone and the Prius - Yes, I got one...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GeekEV, Jun 30, 2007.

1. tedb

tedb Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know which aspects of Outlook are used by the iPhone when syncing? I gather that it will sync calendar and contact list. How about tasks?

Ted

2. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Jul 2 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]471583[/snapback]</div>
    The data plan is only $20 more.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Jul 2 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]471604[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know what comments you personally made. I saw at least one person postings that weren't based in fact so I rebutted those. As long as they are true comments, negative or not, that is a different story.

3. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Jul 2 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]471604[/snapback]</div>
    You bought a 2G Prius? What a loser! The 3G is going to be MUCH better!! :rolleyes:

There will always be better technology coming down the road, but the 1G Prius and the iPhone are both exceptional pieces of technology and way ahead of anything else available at the time. Sooner or later you have to make the plunge or else you lose out completely. Some prefer sooner, some later.

4. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tedb @ Jul 2 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]471704[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, there is no tasks/todo on the iphone (yet) so that gets left out of the synching. I'll will miss it, but I'm hoping that it's in a future software upgrade. I'm sure if they open it up to third party programmers it will turn up quickly.

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    nice video, but I"m sticking with my Motorola Q, its good to go with the Prius, address book and all... :lol: :lol:

6. pmppk

pmppk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's got to be some way to transfer the contact list that we just haven't found yet.... from Apple's owner manual for the iPhone:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhone_User_Guide.pdf

7. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pmppk @ Jul 3 2007, 02:00 PM) [snapback]472414[/snapback]</div>
    I really hate to bring this up but virtually the same thing occurred after the release of the Motorola V710 years ago. With that phone, "in some cases" meant a few BMW models and a couple of after market car kits.

With respect to the Prius, the V710 issue never was resolved and a class action suit followed (as a result of Verizon's advertising, which claimed that the phone had *full* BT capabilities). In fact what was missing, and necessary for contact transfer from the phone to the Prius, was the Object Push Profile.

Based *solely* upon what I have read thus far, the iPhone does not currently have that profile. AFAIK, it has the HandsFree and Headset profiles but that's about it at the current time. Having said that, I admit to having no idea as to whether OPP can be added via a flash (or other method) nor whether Apple will decide to ever include that profile in the iPhone. Regardless, some model cars and kits, have to ability to "suck", for the lack of a better term, contacts out of the phone; they don't require OPP as does the Prius.

It has occurred to me, as well as others, that including (or restoring) *full* BT capabilities would allow one iPhone user to "push" files to another BT-enabled device with similar BT profiles. I suspect Apple/AT&T does not want iPhone owners to have the ability to freely transfer files (particularly purchased music, ringtones, tv shows, etc.), to another device. So, they'll have to figure out some sort of workaround.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag @ Jul 3 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]472457[/snapback]</div>
    Just FYI -- most AT&T phones have no restrictions on bluetooth at all. I'd say this is apple wanting to protect iTunes files from being zapped around.

9. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag @ Jul 3 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]472457[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect they could limit what can be OPP'd and what can't. More likely, IMHO, is they just ran out of time to implement this (likely, by their clientele anyway) infrequently used feature. We may yet see it...

10. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jul 3 2007, 03:11 PM) [snapback]472460[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I am aware that AT&T (as well as T-Mobile and certainly other carriers) have no BT restrictions. I know you're a long-time member and am sure you recall the discussion we had, many moons ago, about this issue WRT Verizon and its BT-crippled phones. ;)

So, I agree, the "culprit" here is most likely Apple, not AT&T.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag @ Jul 3 2007, 03:11 PM) [snapback]472544[/snapback]</div>
    not sure what u mean by crippled bt functionality for verizon. i have the eNV and it does bt just fine. my Prius doesnt have it so cant say how it works for that but i transfer pics from my phone to my laptop via bt all the time. cheaper that way i have unlimited text, pics, flix msging but pics still charge airtime for the transfer so if i am transfering more than a handful i transfer them by bt.

12. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jul 3 2007, 05:27 PM) [snapback]472549[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, this goes *way* back, Dave. Verizon has changed since the early days of the V710. Now, if your Prius had BT, you could transfer contacts from your enV to your car since that model has object push (at least for vCard).

13. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Jul 3 2007, 06:00 PM) [snapback]472537[/snapback]</div>
    That's my guess too. After all, what's the point of Bluetooth 2.0 EDR if you're gonna limit it to plain 'ol headset and handsfree profiles?

14. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pmppk @ Jul 3 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]472414[/snapback]</div>
    For the time being, my workaround will be to use my old phone as a transfer device if I decide I need to update the car's contact list. It still comes on and presumably the BT features will still work even if the phone itself doesn't connect to the cell network.

OTOH, as I said before, there seems to be a significant downside to updating the car's directory, since I would lose all the voice dialing recordings and have to reprogram them.

In any case, I hope this is an omission that Apple will correct.

15. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

RE: Syncing contact list with Prius. Toyota needs to fix this. It works on BMW's. Arg Toyota. Arrrrg.

Taken from http://mailbox.allthingsd.com/20070705/que...-apples-iphone/

This week, I was swamped with questions about Apple’s hot new iPhone, so this is a special all-iPhone edition of Mossberg’s Mailbox.

Q: Can I use the iPhone via a Bluetooth wireless connection in my car? Can I use Bluetooth to transfer files or other information between the iPhone and a computer?

A: In my two-week test of the iPhone, I succeeded in connecting it without much trouble to the built-in audio system and microphone on a friend’s BMW. Almost instantly, the over 700 contacts I had on my test iPhone were displayed on the car’s dashboard screen and calls could be made and received through the iPhone.
    However, this first iPhone can use Bluetooth to connect only with cars and with wireless phone headsets. It cannot use Bluetooth to transfer any data to or from a computer, to play music through stereo wireless headsets, or for any other purpose. As with many other missing features, Apple has the ability to add these to the iPhone through software updates delivered by synchronizing with your computer.

16. pmppk

pmppk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OlsonBW @ Jul 5 2007, 12:06 PM) [snapback]473483[/snapback]</div>
    I saw this as well. Why should BMW's be able to "pull" contacts while the Prius cannot? Messed up if you ask me.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Jul 3 2007, 07:18 AM) [snapback]472147[/snapback]</div>
    Same blanket statement, made in tons of threads. The functionality of the Q, or the iphone, or which ever phone, turns on the carrier. As stated time & time again, if it's Verizon. Their vile Vcast software crap disables the natural ease with which one can easily push their data, without going through rediculous gymnastic workarounds. Iphones are not even sold here in MT. However, there's already a workaround for that. Gotta give an attaboy to the hackers. It may not be easy, but they always seem to find a way.

18. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Jul 3 2007, 07:18 AM) [snapback]472147[/snapback]</div>
    oops - double post

20. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I got an iPhone, synched it up to my Prius. My old phone never synched the address book (Samsung A900) so I already inputed phone numbers in the Prius itself. For what I use it for, works good enough. Now the iPhone itself, is freaking awesome. Yes its got some flaws, but name anything out there that doesn't. Anyway, sometimes people focus so much on the flaws that they don't see the overall picture.