1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone and the Prius - Yes, I got one...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GeekEV, Jun 30, 2007.

1. suzieyoga

suzieyoga Junior Member

can someone please give me the step by step to sync my iphone with my prius. Please?

2. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(suzieyoga @ Jul 5 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]473612[/snapback]</div>
    If by sync, you mean get all of your contacts to the Prius, then it's not that straightforward, you will need another phone or a laptop with bluetooth.

If you just mean pairing it so that you can make and answer calls through your Prius, then I could probably write out step by step instructions tomorrow when I have time. It took me less than a minute to do, but I've done a lot of bluetooth pairing with many different types of devices, so I don't remember the Prius steps offhand.

Of course by tomorrow, another kind soul might beat me to it.

It would help if you specified the year, because I understand that the default bluetooth code has changed between years.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OlsonBW @ Jul 5 2007, 09:06 AM) [snapback]473483[/snapback]</div>

BMW's Bluetooth setup is very unique and very powerful. But they suffer from the same phone limitations that Prius's do, such as certain models of phone don't work very well with the car.

4. osXcode

osXcode New Member

iLove it iLove it iLove it!!

iPhone works excellent with the Prius! Right out of the box!

Way to go Apple

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(osXcode @ Jul 5 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]473736[/snapback]</div>
    People are critical about iPhone because Apple make "tons of money" per unit.
    According to iSppli who analyzed the cost of iPhone. Apple make 55% gross margin per unit.
    i.e. Your iPhone should cost you no more than $300. I will wait.

6. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Jul 5 2007, 08:09 PM) [snapback]473741[/snapback]</div>
    and retards actually buy them on ebay with an additional $200 markup.
    Bottomline it is overpriced (a ps3 is the same price), but I imagine that within a year it will either have at least 20 gb of memory or at least $100 cheaper and they will add 4 colors as another gimmick. I dont think I would even consider it until my current iPod quits working, but if they make a pink one my wife would be standing in line for a product she says is outrageously overpriced.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Jul 5 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]473741[/snapback]</div>
    What? You mean a business can't make all of the profit it can sucker people into handing over? What about all this free market, unlimited profit line all of the NeoCons feed us? If you limit the markup on iPhones what's next?

Prescription drugs?

8. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Jul 5 2007, 05:09 PM) [snapback]473741[/snapback]</div>
    Most retail products sell for at least a 200% - 300% markup. How's this any different?

9. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Jul 5 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]473741[/snapback]</div>
    So you're saying that companies should only sell product at their material cost? I bet the materials cost of the Prius isn't more than $10K. Since that study of the iPhone only uses component pricing, which excludes, R&D, Labor, marketing, stock, etc. etc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jul 5 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]473747[/snapback]</div>
    And when that happens, there will be a 40gb that is $50 cheaper in a couple of months. It never ends. You keep waiting, I'll keep enjoying my iPhone.

10. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Texas911 @ Jul 6 2007, 12:21 AM) [snapback]473828[/snapback]</div>
    And I'll keep enjoying my video iPod with over 6000 songs on it, and my (free Cell phone) oh and the $600 that is still in my pocket.
    And next time I see you use it in public, I'll just rob you and take yours.

11. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like the last item in The Onion's infographic listing the features of Apple's new iPhone:</span>
    • <span style="font-family:Georgia">Comes with an iPhone hat, so people know you own an iPhone during the brief periods you're not using it.

12. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Jul 5 2007, 05:09 PM) [snapback]473741[/snapback]</div>
    Then they should be REALLY p**sed off at Microsoft for how much they make on Windows and Office. It's a lot higher percentage than Apple is making on anything Apple makes.

13. pmppk

pmppk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anyone who thinks that just because a single iPhone costs Apple $220 in parts that they should be able to sell it under $300 is fooling themselves about Apple's true cost per phone.
    Factory labor, shipping to the US, and distribution nationwide are not reflected in that figure. Neither are Apple's extensive research, development, licensing and marketing expenses.
    Apple does not make $380 profit on each $600 phone.

14. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jul 6 2007, 08:09 AM) [snapback]473926[/snapback]</div>

I guess you've lost the debate when you had to resort to using that last statement.

15. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Texas911 @ Jul 6 2007, 04:28 PM) [snapback]474213[/snapback]</div>
    Well if I remember correctly it became a big thing a few years ago, especially in places like NYC, Chicago, and other major Metro areas with public transportation that people spotted people with the white iPod earbuds and they were immediately robbed. What makes you think that a bad guy who knows you are using a $600 phone isn't going to do the same. Afterall it is unique looking.

16. iDonna

iDonna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jul 7 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]474793[/snapback]</div>

It's to the point, that you're unique looking if you don't have a set of white earbuds in your ears. Of course, your argument falls down if we use a discreet BT earphone.

Regardless, people get ripped off for everything and anything. This is no reason to not buy and enjoy a product because you're afraid someone's going to steal it. What's needed is exercising a little common sense, no matter what city you're in.

17. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But, morpheusx, the point wasn't that you said it would be likely to be stolen. It was that you said you'd steal it. How neanderthal...

18. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Jul 7 2007, 08:37 PM) [snapback]474862[/snapback]</div>
    Besides, if you steal it AT&T will inactivate it completely. Including all iPod and internet functions. The iPhone is the least desirable iPod to steal.

19. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Jul 7 2007, 09:46 PM) [snapback]474867[/snapback]</div>
    First off I would be the least of anyones worries to steal anything, but that isn't going to stop would be thieves from eyeing it up. As far ATT inactivating it, theoretically this is true, but there are ways to circumvent everything. Afterall you theoretically can't burn a playstation2 disc and if you can figure it out then it supposedly is not playable in your system, and if you figure that out you supposedly cant play it online, but guess what you can still do that too if you exert just a little effort.
    And by the way you misunderstand me, I haven't even seen the device in person, and I think it is the coolest phone ever. Another thing I would wait for is increased capacity being that even the $600 unit cant hold as many songs as an 8gb nano and is nowhere close to my regular ipod (I keep a minimum of 5000 songs on mine) + I already hate paying my $65 phone bill for the 2 phones we already have. How much extra is that data plan and is it required or can you get one without the dataplan and still use it with wifi only.

20. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jul 7 2007, 07:16 PM) [snapback]474878[/snapback]</div>
    So shall we accept your back-pedalling, and move on then? :)

To answer your question, the base plan (rounding up) is $40 for the voice + $20 for the unlimited data. As far as I know, they will not let you activate it without the data plan -- at least not through iTunes. Adding additional phones (as I did) is $10 + $20 data... As for being the coolest phone ever, both my wife and I agree... :lol: