1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone Debut Screwed Up By AT&T

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Vincent, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jul 9 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]475739[/snapback]</div>
    I know, I'm being ridiculous. The only person who had a cordless phone was that self-indulgent private investigator on TV, 'Cannon.' (a Quinn Martin Production)...

You're right, in some ways, but I have to tell you that oftentimes my biggest bill is now from the phone company...and, despite their "best" efforts, the DSL still stops working every time it rains or the wind comes up.

Something *has* changed, and --in my opinion-- not for the better.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It did not take long. The 4 GB iPhone model has already been discontinued, barely two months after its debut, and the price of the 8 GB iPhone has been cut by $200 to $399, $100 less than the 4 GB model originally sold for.

USA Today - Apple slices $200 off iPhone, rolls out new iPods

Edited to correct typographical errors. Changed MegaBytes to GigaBytes.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Sep 5 2007, 05:41 PM) [snapback]507544[/snapback]</div>
    Look for a 16 GB iPhone next

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 7 2007, 09:38 AM) [snapback]474657[/snapback]</div>
    Hell, we're approaching the day when there will only be one company. Period. It will own everything. (But it will keep all the old brand names for a generation or two, just so that people can feel good about buying their favorite brands.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 7 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]474800[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 7 2007, 05:28 PM) [snapback]474831[/snapback]</div>
    Long-distance service costs almost nothing to provide. It costs the phone company virtually the same whether you call across town or across the country.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 8 2007, 10:05 AM) [snapback]475089[/snapback]</div>
    When I tried to buy a cell phone so I could call for help if I got stuck in my car at 30 degrees below zero, Verizon was the only company that woud sell me a phone. For decades, ever since living on my own, I've paid my utility bills on time. But since I never borrow money I had no credit history, because utility bill payments don't go on your credit history. And without that, no other company would give me cell phone service. Verizon sold me a phone, and has always given me A-1 service and customer support. They've done some shady marketing stuff, but in my book they're the best of the lot. Can you name any large corporation that is clean? Even moderately clean?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 9 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]475656[/snapback]</div>
    That's a function of how cheap phone service has become. It also tells you that Americans have become so stupid, on average, that they'll buy stuff from telemarketers.

The Do-Not-Call list helps. And while charities, political outfits, and companies you've done business with are exempt, they are forbidden from calling you if you ask them not to:

Me: "Please put me on your do-not-call list."

Caller: "Okay. But it will take two weeks."

Me: "The law says that you are forbidden from calling me after I've asked you not to. If you call me again I will report you to the FCC and the FTC."

(I don't know if that's really what the law says, but saying it seems to work.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From the Apple Store Clearance Items selections:

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can get an 8 GB refurbished iPhone for $349.00.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 5 2007, 09:31 PM) [snapback]507776[/snapback]</div>
    There are refurbished ones already? They break that fast? I'd have expected better quality from Apple.

8. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 5 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]507649[/snapback]</div>
    It shouldn't have been that hard to obtain a cellphone for emergency purposes. I thought that all cellphones, including those not affiliated with any network, would operate when 911 was entered. I don't know if this still applies to those really old, analog-only cellphones.

This is how I get rid of my old cellphones. I just give them away to relatives who choose not to have cellphone service for use in their vehicle for emergency purposes.

9. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 6 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]507912[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes: What usually happens is someone comes in with a phone with a minor complaint, and is not satisfied until they get a new one. Happens all the time in retail. So they can't sell it new, and used sounds odd, so that is why the term refurbished.

10. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To all iPhone customers:

I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset about Apple dropping the price of iPhone by $200 two months after it went on sale. After reading every one of these emails, I have some observations and conclusions.

First, I am sure that we are making the correct decision to lower the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399, and that now is the right time to do it. iPhone is a breakthrough product, and we have the chance to 'go for it' this holiday season. iPhone is so far ahead of the competition, and now it will be affordable by even more customers. It benefits both Apple and every iPhone user to get as many new customers as possible in the iPhone 'tent'. We strongly believe the $399 price will help us do just that this holiday season.

Second, being in technology for 30+ years I can attest to the fact that the technology road is bumpy. There is always change and improvement, and there is always someone who bought a product before a particular cutoff date and misses the new price or the new operating system or the new whatever. This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced.

Third, even though we are making the right decision to lower the price of iPhone, and even though the technology road is bumpy, we need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price. Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these.

Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers. We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple.

Steve Jobs
    Apple CEO

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 6 2007, 09:38 AM) [snapback]507912[/snapback]</div>
    They call any return "refurbished" whether it's a repair or not. My titanium powerbook is refurbished. It's been going strong going on 4 years. And even their refurbished items come with a warranty. The powerbook had a 1 year warranty.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Sep 6 2007, 03:26 PM) [snapback]508106[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. Really? Who else does this? Has Dell or Microsoft ever done this?

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Sep 6 2007, 08:06 AM) [snapback]507924[/snapback]</div>
    The ability to call 911 will not get you a tow truck to fix a flat. It will not inform your mother that you're okay but you're going to be late while you wait for that flat to be fixed. It will not let you phone the store you thought you could find but turns out not to be where you thought.

My basic reason for wanting a cell phone was for emergencies, but having decided that, I wanted a full-service phone, not just a 911 dialer. (And I don't know whether unconnected phones can reach 911 or not.)

My point was that Verizon looked at me, saw that I had no credit history, and decided, correctly and reasonably, that I had no bad debts and was therefore trustworthy. Every other cell phone provider in my region saw that I had no credit history, and decided that since I've never borrowed money they would refuse to sell me a phone.