1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone, iPhone!!!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Alric, Jan 9, 2007.

1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Jan 11 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]374064[/snapback]</div>
    It's sad, but true... Microsoft finally gets their MP3 player out on the market, touting features that are "better" than the iPod: a bigger screen, wifi and community music sharing. The response from Apple? at the time, it was "no comment". Just a few months later, though, they say "well, we just leapfrogged you, good luck catching up now".

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    leave it to Apple to create a device that makes every other electronics manufacturer in the world look like total idiots

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 11 2007, 09:28 AM) [snapback]374061[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that kinda sucks. Even if you turned it to landscape the keyboard would probably still be too small. I'd like something I can get both my hands on since I'm a touch typist. A hate the thumbs only crap. Maybe at some point they'll be sometype of external keyboard. I wonder if a bluetooth keyboard would do it since it has bluetooth. Maybe there's a portable bluetooth travel type keyboard that would work.

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jan 11 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]374168[/snapback]</div>
    We'll see... it is still Apple. :)

One of the 'limitations' seems to be that you can't install your own software... no SDK. There will probably be limited 3rd party software in that case.

5. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jan 11 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]374261[/snapback]</div>
    There's no SDK yet... but I'm willing to bet that there will be sometime in the next 6 months. Given that the phone is based on OSX, development should be fairly straightforward and easy. Additionally, Apple has previously told developers to make their code resolution independent, which would seem to indicate that many things will work on the phone with only that modification (if they aren't already independent). Finally, If you watched Job's keynote, you'll notice that some of the widgets that he showed on the phone (such as the stock ticker) are identical to ones you see on full sized macs with OSX - it seems to me that the structure behind the widgets hasn't changed.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If it doesn't have some sort of word processing feature, it won't replace my PDA.

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 11 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]374362[/snapback]</div>
    Well, if you've ever done mobile development, you would know that the words straightforward and easy just do not apply. It's even worse if you're using native code, as opposed to J2ME code. Trust me on this, but there are headaches when you develop mobile apps you can't even begin to imagine. :)

As for an SDK, there have been no rumblings from Apple about an SDK at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they only allow widgets as 3rd party software, and otherwise control the software infrastructure entirely on their own.

8. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dang, Have been looking for a player with "over-the-air" downloads, and would probably like to make use of Cingular's 3G for video streaming. But still an awesome new device.

"But I'm somewhat surprised that Apple didn't provide "over-the-air" downloads through iTunes. You'll have to connect the device to a PC or Mac as with a current iPod. I also expected an Apple phone to take advantage of the fastest emerging third-generation wireless data networks, not just Cingular's less-robust GSM and Edge data networks. It does not."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edw...s-roundup_x.htm

9. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jan 11 2007, 04:10 PM) [snapback]374444[/snapback]</div>
    I'm also extremely interested in the phone, and from reading various articles about it, it appears that Apple is not going to release a SDK - only very limited development of widgets will be allowed, and no access to the core operating system.

I'm disappointed, but not particularly surprised.

dave

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm interested in just what the internet will be like on the iPhone. Reading the New York Times is one thing.
    But what if you logged into Priuschat on the iPhone. Would it be read only or could you also leave posts? How would you type them? I don't see the keyboard in internet mode, only textmessaging.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Godiva.... you know how Apple rolls their stuff out. next year, Jobs will introduce a fuller browsing experience along with Bluetooth accessories like keyboards, mouses etc

12. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveG @ Jan 11 2007, 08:35 PM) [snapback]374462[/snapback]</div>
    So am I... OSX running in that form factor would have been a hacker's dream, and would have given real consumers a lot of flexibility. But since they're limiting the SDK, you're pretty much going to be stuck with what APPL decides you can run + some widgets. I'm not sure how Steve Jobs can even call it a smartphone with a straight face.

I'm still looking forward to taking one apart as soon as I get my hands on one. :)

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jan 11 2007, 08:24 PM) [snapback]374479[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. That's why I said I'll wait to see what Griffin Technologies develops as accessories. I expect we'll be putting our iPhone in all of the stuff they may for iPod like external speakers and stuff.

And that the iPhone would have GPS if it doesn't already.

And that eventually it will have iChat AV and an iSight built into it.

Eventually the thing will be the smallest portable computer.

I mean, my God! My first Mac had a Black and White screen, a 512K memory and NO HARDDRIVE so naturally no operating system. It certainly couldn't surf the internet. This phone is way beyond that first Mac I owned.

I certainly won't be buying this phone in June. Or probably a year from June. But someday when I feel I finally have a real need for a cellphone and must chose one, the iPhone will be the one I choose. Even without word processing and a keyboard, it does more of what I'd need than anything else out there. A year from now it will only be better. (Plus faster, cheaper and a bigger harddrive.)

14. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    On the subject of software additions to the iPhone from Jobs himself in the NYT:

“These are devices that need to work, and you can’t do that if you load any software on them,†he said. “That doesn’t mean there’s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn’t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.â€

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/technolo...artner=homepage

15. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Like i said (and that article backs up) we don't know to what extent Apple will allow development. It's possible an SDK will be available, but before you can get it Apple will require you to sign some sort of contract allowing them to perform extensive testing for compatibility. I agree with Jobs that you can't just let anyone start dumping software out there that may impair the abilities of the product, but that doesn't mean some of the major players in the field will be restricted from porting their applications over.

There are really only a few full sized applications i would really want to see on the iPhone - word processing, spreadsheet, and similar productivity apps... Other than that, a bunch of widgets are needed (so you can quickly bring up information), and they did include what appears to be the best mobile web browser i've seen.

Let me ask you - what would you be using the iPhone for? Aside from making calls, playing music and video, and looking up stuff online (movie times, directions, the occasional definition or description), there really isn't much left. Sure, it needs to be able to open most office documents and probably display e-books, but you don't need every tom and joe out there writing their own code for it. And if you do want your own code to run, odds are you'll be able to do it in a JVM.

16. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 12 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]374617[/snapback]</div>
    Well, since Jobs has indicated that most add on software (all?) will be widgets, I think apple wants to tightly control this device. And it seems that Symbian and Microsoft have had no problems letting other people install software on their phones... the Symbian Signed program is a great example of letting 3rd parties do what they want while still having control/security over the platform.

As for what I would do.. music, movies, and I'd want to use it as a nav system (much like my current phone can). Same thing with office documents (I use quickoffice). And I'd really want the standard unix utilities and ssh, as I think it'd make a great machine to do dev work/troubleshooting on the go. I'd also like some sort of serial connection, but I think I'm probably asking for too much with that. :)

17. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HBO6 @ Jan 11 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]374450[/snapback]</div>
    Another Dang...nonreplaceable battery.

"The non-replaceable battery is going to keep users tied to a power supply."

"I bet that battery life is also behind the fact that you can't sync the phone over a WiFi or Bluetooth connection - the battery dying mid-transfer could spell trouble. Apple doesn't do replaceable batteries but if they want to succeed in the cellphone market I think that this is something that will have to change. A sexy phone with a dead battery is just a pretty paperweight."

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=212

18. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cam @ Jan 9 2007, 08:47 PM) [snapback]373462[/snapback]</div>
    Of course, we Prius owners are already used to the 'revolutionary' touch screen interface.

19. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Jan 11 2007, 06:46 AM) [snapback]374064[/snapback]</div>
    Apple has done a brilliant job with it's new cool interface to media and converging it to a cell phone, but I wouldn't count out Microsoft or other companies yet. I was initially blown away by the new interface but the inability to use the Wifi to download content from Itunes without synching or to use VOIP, and the nonreplaceable battery were a bit of a downer. Would probably like to see 3G for streaming while we're at it. Apple also has a little too much control over their units for my taste.