1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone, iPhone!!!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Alric, Jan 9, 2007.

1. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The iPhone has no Exchange "Direct Push", which basically means I can't receive my work emails when I'm out and about.

The iPhone looks like a great albeit expensive consumer product, and Apple always creates the best interfaces, but they also always seem to come up short on business value. I wouldn't buy one of these until I could easily send/receive email, synch contacts, accept meeting requests, voice dial, install extra programs, etc. and I think the iPhone comes up empty in a lot of those areas (maybe not all).

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    never thought for a minute that the iphone would be the choice of business pros....hard to beat palm and blackberry...albeit both have shortcomings

apple has always been a consumer company and i dont see that changing now.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "Apple® today announced that its revolutionary iPhone™ will run applications created with Web 2.0 Internet standards when it begins shipping on June 29. Developers can create Web 2.0 applications which look and behave just like the applications built into iPhone, and which can seamlessly access iPhone’s services, including making a phone call, sending an email and displaying a location in Google Maps. Third-party applications created using Web 2.0 standards can extend iPhone’s capabilities without compromising its reliability or security."

iphone to support third party web 2.0 apps.

And the plastic screen is now going to be optical quality glass.

And the exclusive carrier will now be AT&T....I guess they bought out Cingular?

And here's a chart comparing battery life.

[​IMG]

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 21 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]465873[/snapback]</div>
    Cingular bought out AT&T actually... but enough of that. :)

And saying the iPhone supports third party web 2.0 apps is like saying I can install a web app on firefox because it can access GMail. Without *real* third party applications, the iPhone is an overpriced toy.

5. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 21 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]465893[/snapback]</div>
    Really? I did not know that was the way the sale went. Huh.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 21 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]465893[/snapback]</div>
    Well, until they're out and the geeks start hacking them, we'll never know.

tech specs

more info

Looks like it will sync addressbooks with entourage and mac addressbook and even Yahoo.

Will sync calendars with iCal and Outlook calendars.

"iPhone works with the most popular email systems — including Yahoo! Mail, Gmail, AOL, and .Mac Mail."

"iPhone uses iTunes to sync your photos from iPhoto on a Mac or Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Photoshop Album, or any picture folder on a PC."

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 21 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]465937[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but using iSync means you're tied to a PC... and working with popular email systems means web access or POP3/IMAP, which really, is nothing special and nothing that every other phone hasn't done for the last 5 years.

I do not know, I mean it's a great feature/dumbphone... but it's definitely not going to replace or threaten true smartphones.

Further edit:

Those tech specs aren't really much more than marketing fluff either. But the lack of removable media and a non-replaceable battery is a killer. With my phone I can swap 2GB cards on the go, and sync with anything that supports USB mass storage. With the iPhone, you're stuck with iTunes/iSync. Which in other terms is just another way for Apple to lock you in.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 21 2007, 02:51 PM) [snapback]465958[/snapback]</div>
    First gen.

I'm waiting to see what the second gen will do. I'm betting it allow cards. Not so sure they'll swap out the battery. Probably bigger storage and cheaper price to boot. And not locked in to AT&T either. I'll be waiting out the two years or however long it will take until it's not locked to AT&T.

9. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 21 2007, 04:02 PM) [snapback]465967[/snapback]</div>
    Bad news there, they have a 5 year exclusive deal with AT&T. And I think that's bad for AT&T, as I think the iPhone is not going to sell all that well once the early adopters flock to it.

Second, removable storage is anathema to apple's portable strategy. It's just not a proper fit. They'd much rather you upgrade when storage limits manifest themselves, rather than just buying a bigger card. They've done that with the iPod, and will continue to do that with the iPhone.

10. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 21 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]465975[/snapback]</div>

good.... then maybe they can drop the price so we can get them! i cannot justify 5 or 6 hundred bucks for a phone (times 2)

11. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
  12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    exclusive for 2 years only

13. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    bummer. wont matter. others will clone it. will they do as good a job. probably not. will it be almost as good... probably. will it be half the price??? most definitely

15. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jun 21 2007, 07:22 PM) [snapback]466080[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, others will clone it and it will be better. Any S60 phone out there now kicks the iPhone up and down the block.

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't think AT&T or Cingular provides service in Europe...do they?

Apple is going to be marketing the iPhone in Europe in the 4th quarter. It will be interesting to see how it is set up over there. If there is a workaround to AT&T...look for european iPhones being sold on eBay.

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    they do provide access to service in europe. its a small fee to enable european service. like $5.99 a month, but you are still looking at roaming charges

18. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 21 2007, 07:51 PM) [snapback]466096[/snapback]</div>
    I beg to differ. Between the multi-touchscreen, (near) widescreen aspect ratio and iTunes sync it beats any other similar device. If you understood how iTunes currently interacts with iPods and the Apple TV you would understand the anticipation iTunes users feel for the iPhone.

19. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 21 2007, 08:39 PM) [snapback]466123[/snapback]</div>
    You can use Cingular in Europe, but Cingular won't be selling the phone in Europe. And while you're welcome to buy a European iPhone (or Canadian thru Rogers), you'll find it's locked to the carrier that sells it. So no, that won't work either. :)

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jun 21 2007, 07:55 PM) [snapback]466129[/snapback]</div>
    You're telling me the iPhones purchased in Europe by those that live there will have to buy American AT&T service and pay permanent roaming charges for all calls?