1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iphone no longer works with USB after IOS update

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by pauline lam, Aug 7, 2015.

1. pauline lam

pauline lam New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Recently updated the Iphone in late July 2015 to whaever the latest IOS is 8.something. I noticed that the Iphone 5 no longer works via the USB port. It charges, but you can't see it working as it is greyed out on the Prius screen. Blue tooth works fine but not the USB. Problem is there is lot of functionality that doesn't work with only Bluetooth. Dealership can't figure out why. Anyone else have this issue?

2. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What version of Entune is running? 3.2 is the latest, I think. It's always been buggy, but mine is working reasonably fine.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Did you try deleting the phone then pairing it again?

4. pauline lam

pauline lam New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's what I've tried:

1) Took 2014 Prius Plug -In to dealership. They updated the software on the car. They said it worked, but didn't use my phone. I plugged in my phone and it didn't work. They didn't know why and I had already spent several hours there so I had to leave. Going again later.

2) I tried re-pairing the Iphone but it wasn't really necessary since the bluetooth works fine.

3) the phone charges fine while plugged into the usb port

4) Backed up the Iphone and restored the phone to original settings but I think it reloaded the same version of the IOS that was just on it. This was recommended from Apple.

USB still doesn't work. The problem is if the phone is not plugged in, you can't control what's playing on the phone from the screen in the prius.

Very frustrating.

any other ideas?

5. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm running 8.4 on my iPhone 5S and the PiP has no trouble controlling the phone via the USB Port. The first thing I would check would be the cable. Check for dirt in the 30-pin connector on the cable end as well as the phone end. If using a lightning cable, reverse it and see if it that fixes things. Also reseat the cable in the USB port.

You do have limited control of the phone via Bluetooth in that you can do track forward/reverse, and select/deselect random play if you already haven a playlist playing. Some head units in other cars have full control via Bluetooth. I rented the RAV4-EV a while ago and it allowed full control of the phone via Bluetooth. Browse artists, playlists, albums, etc. Really wish the PiP had that ability.

6. pauline lam

pauline lam New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This was a real problem with Iphone 5. It didn't work and still doesn't. Called Apple and the rep said they would replace my Iphone, but now their customer service has fallen through because the rep said she would call me back and despite numerous phone calls and emails and another rep trying to tell her to call me back, there has been no commication from Apple. They really dropped the ball here.

It's not a USB problem because we used a brand new Apple cable and the dealership's Iphone 6 works fine on it. It's just the Iphone 5

7. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is your iPhone 5 still under warranty or AppleCare?

8. pauline lam

pauline lam New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No my Iphone 5 was not under warranty or AppleCare but Apple did replace the phone because the phone didn't work in the car while other phones from the dealer did work.

Problem now is with the brand new Iphone 5 it still does NOT work. The Bluetooth does work and has always worked, but as you know the phone needs to plugged into the car via USB to access a lot of features. That part still does not work. I don't know if it is the Phone or the car. I wish I knew what setting or what I could do to make it start working again.

The old Iphone5 used to work fine and then one day it stopped working. Now, I have a new Iphone 5 and it still doesn't work. At this point, I don't know if it is an Apple problem or Toyota problem. The dealership has an Iphone 5s and Iphone 6 with the same operating system (9.0) and their phones work, but my phone doesn't work in my car or any of the other Priuses on their lot.

When I plug in my Iphone5, everything related to the phone is greyed out, although the car does see that it is connected and it does charge my phone. It is not the cable as I have tested several brand new USB cables.

9. pauline lam

pauline lam New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It sounds like a problem with the settings on the iPhone. Since you keep restoring the phone from a backup, that same potential corruption keeps getting restored from your backup. You could try going to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings and reset your settings and see if that doesn't make things behave... You probably don't want to do "Erase All Content and Settings" except as a last resort to test things.

11. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The latest iOS as of now is iOS 9.0.2. Some of the later updates to 8 were to improve connectivity with cars. Please verify what version you have and post it here...