1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone people snobbery?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Sep 17, 2009.

1. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't have the phone, but I do have a ipod touch, many of the same apps apply. I have the fart app, how could I not with two sons? They LOVE to hook it up in the car and have "fart wars". I also have several game apps, my 7 year olds favorite is the one with the little island people, where you get to play God, I think he wants more control in his life...

I don't want an iphone because I like my verizon service so I have a dare. similar but I don't get the same amount of cool points that a genuine iphone owner does. I think I'm doing fine with the macbook and prius though so...
    I win. :p

On a serious note, I get tired of the techno snobbery and the green snobbery. In the area I live in it's rampant. I keep reminding my neighbors I am only half tree-hugger, they should keep that in mind with their expectations. I WILL use the pesticide to keep the silver dollar size spiders the hell out of my bedroom!

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    With apologies to those who have heard this story from me before, it seems apropos here.

It was an extremely hot, sunny day in northern Wisconsin when I was arrested with a friend and locked into a cop car. The cop, being a nice guy (they often are, when dealing with middle-class white guys like us) said he was leaving the motor and the air conditioning on for us. My friend told him, "You don't have to leave the engine running for us. We're radical environmentalists." I told my friend to speak for himself, as I am a moderate environmentalist. If I'm going to sit in a car with the windows closed for an hour on a sunny and sweltering day, I want the air conditioning on. I'd have settled for open windows, but that was not an option.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only half-way to treehugger status? I can help with that. :)
    Pesticides in your house will do and your children far more harm than spiders. Maybe a poison-free app of a spider-crunching cat will scare them off. ;)

4. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought the little sonar thingies to put in my plug ins. I am a tad
    arachnophobic so will go to almost any length to assure msyelf a panic free night of sleep. So far... those little plug in things seem to be working. I have had a spider-free bedroom for the last few months.
    *knock on wood, stone, glass, and anthing else that might guarantee I did not just jinx the fix*

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I definitely agree with this - try to keep your house poison-free. I've found that any of the perimeter products (like Ortho's Home Defense MAX) do a great job, without bringing any poisons into the house. Simply watch the forecast and find a few sunny days, then walk around and spray the base of your house with it. It does a great job of repelling bugs that want inside.

And you should get a dog - mine eats all the spiders he can find :)

6. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "I bought the little sonar thingies to put in my plug ins."
    they will adapt quickly to that. Those icky spiders are keeping populations of other bugs at bay that carry bad germs. The only way to controll bugs is obsessive cleaning, esp. in places like the basement and laundryroom. That and caulking.

My wife used to be scared of spiders but has learned to appreciate their usefullness. Now she's only scared of the big dark ones. And centipedes. Centipedes freak the crap out of her.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When it comes to bugs in the house, I recommend malathion. It's a good broad-spectrum insecticide that's less deadly to people than some others. Spray it on the screens to kill flies and along baseboards to kill creepy-crawlies. "Better living through chemistry." :cheer2:

Note: Like any good hypocrite I don't follow my own advice. But then, I don't have many bugs in my house, either. I suspect the association sprays the ground all around outside. I know they use weed killer on the lawns. I think the bugs all get cancer from the herbicides. :D

8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

A good vacuum cleaner is more fun, and possibly safer.

9. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yum yum. I read an article not to long ago that stated we all end up consuming between 5 and 10 spiders over a lifetime because they crawl into our mouths while we sleep. (Although not based on any scientific evidence, I suspect that snoring may actually attract them and may explain why heavy snorers tend to weight more). So the next time you wake up with a bad taste in your mouth, chew like hell first and then check for evidence of spider legs. The front legs actually make pretty good tooth picks in a pinch.:brushteeth:

I actually prefer the wolf spider. If you can get past the torso, which has a real bite to it, the right rear leg has a silky flavor with the slightest hints of garlic. Of course the left leg is always the choice part, crunchy with a slight cilantro/oregano mix that goes well with most reds. :nod:

10. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's an App for that!

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yikes, scary and close to the truth

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I found this one and laughed coffee out my nose:

[ame=http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1766423]iPhone Parody #3 - CollegeHumor video[/ame]

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hear that coffee is good for sterilizing your nasal passages. It has to taste better than that saline crap you squirt up your nostrils