1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone Wireless Possible?? School Zone Warning NAV Possible?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Susan4ET, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My gosh why isn't wireless iPhone connectivity possible? Any pros or cons to make me feel better about this technology snafu?

After over 50 years of driving I finally missed a "20 mph school days between 7 AM to 5 PM" zone was ticketed by a lonely police officer (no kids or traffic anywhere). I'm dreaming of a smart GPS Nav that would see (among other interesting things perhaps) school zones and do something to alert me of them?

Related to the Prime Navigation system... Has Toyota gotten real about updating these things or do we still have to take the car into the shop, buy the update, and pay a technician to install the damn things? That's what I'm stuck with on my current 2015 Prius. Dreaming of the Prime mid 2018 next year that might update automagically as needed!

Thank you.

2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Some would consider Bluetooth to be wireless. What kind of wireless connectivity are your referring to?

My Garmin 2797 does give school zone warnings and I LOVE it. 3rd part NAV's have always been more feature rich than in dash NAV's. In dash car NAV's have sucked from day one and have not improved much since then. Not to be obvious, but school zones are your job to catch and relying on tech to find them is dangerous.

For the Prime NAV, and every other Toyota with NAV prior to 2018, you must get the map updates via MicroSD card or USB update depending on the vehicle. The 2018 Camry ONLY has Entune 3.0 which can update the maps over the air on certain trim levels. Toyota is changing, slowly, but changing.

I'd suggest waiting another ~5 years on a new vehicle to suit your needs or just get a Garmin and be satisfied today.

3. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The prime will alert you to changes in speed limit. Granted it's map based and so can be stale, but I've found it to consistently alert me to drops in the speed limit whenever I'm going through a school zone. I have it set so it displays the speed during a change in my HUD. Only issue is it doesn't know if school is in session or not so it always makes the most pessimistic projection and says that the lower speed is always in effect.

In NJ we have two types of shool speed limits... "when flashing" and "when children present". You would not have gotten ticketed in the later (or at least you would have had a fighting chance).

4. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone aware of _any_ cars that have robust auto-updating nav systems including school zone/speed limits built-in (not 3rd party)?

Yes, one might think Bluetooth would be the logical solution but apparently Entune and Apple don't like each other and I am stuck having to hook up my iPhone 7+ with a USB cable if I want Traffic. Leaving the iPhone hooked up and out of reach in the center compartment might not be a bad idea though to reduce anyone using and distraction.

Writing my thoughts out here gives me new ideas!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doesn't seem right, my wife's i phone 5 works fine with the 2013 hycam. maybe i phone 7 is a problem?

6. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One of my bright ideas was maybe I could turn on a POI for schools but no such luck. School POIs seem to be the only thing left out!

Regarding the Prime... 1) How does the NAV system update work for that car and... 2) Is there a POI for schools?

Thank you.

7. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My iPhone 7 connects just fine over bluetooth, but the included entune apps like slacker or iheart radio are not really loud enough. (not that I'd really use them anyway.)

8. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't know if it's the same case with your phone, but on my Galaxy S7 Edge the reason Pandora does not play very loud is because there's a setting in volume adjustments for media on the phone which always defaults to below halfway, so when I turn on Pandora on my car I go to the phone a turn the media volume to maximum it then comes in very loud on the car.

9. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nah, I already tried that, it doesn't make a difference to change the volume on the phone. Iv'e seen something like this dicussed about the iPhone a lot, not just for our Primes, it seems to be a weakness. If you get everything right, it's supposed to work, but the same settings don't seem to work for everyone. No clue why. If it's streaming music from the iphone itself (itunes based stuff), it is loud enough...

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  10. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, you are right... For hands-free voice my iPhone 7 plus bluetooth pairs and works fine. I did not explain this well at all.

The specific problem that Entune support confirmed is that if you would like to use the Entune Traffic app in NAV it will not work wirelessly. It even tells you it cannot connect. BUT, if you hook up a USB cable between the phone and car USB port in console it works fine.