1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IPM/Inverter Needs Replacing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MelonPrius, Apr 28, 2024.

1. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, it finally happened to me. At around 30 mph, my Prius went into limp mode with "check hybrid system" or something like that on the dash. I figured my time came up with the dreaded IPM issue that I read so much about. (As per Dr Prius and my 48-50 mpg, I figured it wasn't my actual traction battery that was the cause of this)

I had the Prius towed to the local dealership and the diagnosis was failed a failed Inverter/IPM, which is fortunately covered by the extended warranty. I had the software updated years ago when I received the letter in the mail, at the same time when everyone else did.

I have a light foot, drive the speed limit, and will only accelerate briskly when merging into traffic on a freeway ramp. I don't think the EGR is related to the inverter, but regardless, I had mine cleaned at 90k miles- currently at 118k miles.

I did a search and didn't see a recent thread on this, so I'd like to ask:

1. Is the feeling here that aggressive acceleration is still the cause of this? Or was it simply my time? Does Toyota have advice on how to prevent this from happening again?

2. With a new part, will I be in good shape for a while, or will I still be prone to go into limp mode at any time? In other words, was my breakdown related to the age of the original part (10 years)?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They seemed to believe there could originally be too-rapid cooling of some soldered spots on the IPM, after bursts of high current getting it hot. The rapid cooling would freeze the solder in a crystalline form like refrozen ice cream.

The recall presumably changed the firmware managing the IPM to control that a bit better, and it's possible they also revised the hardware along the way.

It's possible that an inverter, like lots of other things that experience high loads in a car, is just difficult to design to last forever and guarantee it will never wear out. Maybe the replacement takes you to 2034 and 236,000 miles or beyond....

Mendel Leisk and MelonPrius like this.
  3. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for responding. So there's a chance the new part installed will be better than the original? I would take that as a win.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Luddite

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was wondering about that. So definitely not a cure-all. :(

(We got the updates too)

5. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just curious, has anyone on this board reported getting a new IPM/inverter part (not the software update) and had it failed?

Edit: I talked to the service manager at the dealership, and he said that the new part is new and improved. And no Prius has come back with a burned out new part under his watch. So, that's good news to me.

#5 MelonPrius, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’m glad the IPN/Inverter was covered under an extended warranty. The total cost would have been around $3,500.

The service manager told me that I needed to change a lightbulb near my rear license plate. I gave the green light because I expected it to be cheap. Nope, it was $148.

But $148 for a lightbulb and new IPM/inverter? I’ll take it.

receipt prius.jpg

#6 MelonPrius, May 1, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
    renatomn74 likes this.