1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ipod 4 won't charge in the car!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Fore, May 5, 2012.

1. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone have a solution to charging their Ipod 4g in the car through the aux / 12 volt power plug? I do not have a usb connection in my base 2010 Prius. I've tried the usb convertor in the 12 volt power supply and it does'nt work. I also bought the Scosche passPORT and it didn't work either. Anyone have any cheap suggestions to get this old Ipod 4g to charge.

2. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12 volt to USB adapters are quite common. You can pick one up at TJ Maxx for $5. Then run a USB to 30pin cable to the iPod. You said you tried it though......

Better yet, there are 30pin to USB + 3.5 stereo jack cables available on eBay for $5. That way you only run one cord from the iPod to the car that carries audio and power.

3. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Steve Jobs must not like Prii, or Flash.

4. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a cigarette lighter to iPod charger that I bought at 5 Below for 5 bucks. I connect via Bluetooth. Works great. I was worried that it might discharge faster when the car is off than it charges when the car is on but that appears to not be the case. I did have one instance when the iPod was totally discharged when I started the car but it charged in about 5 minutes and started playing music by itself.

5. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You might want to double check that the is working - it would be terrible to try all sorts of chargers only to find out that a fuse was blown.

I have found that Apple products can be picky about chargers- if the voltage is not within a tight range it will not charge. My Android phone will charge on just about anything, but I need to make a point of plugging in my iPad to the charger it came with.

I'd recommend going to a place like Target where returns are easy that way you can try it before being stuck with it.

6. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    On major thing is the amp rating on the car device, make sure it is at least 1 amp, some are under rated for iPods, are you using the cord from the device, some cords do dont fit right and thus wont charge

7. NiHaoMike

NiHaoMike Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some Apple devices need the data pins to be connected to resistor networks in order to charge, unlike other devices that only need the data lines jumpered or just charging whenever a valid power source is connected.

8. pacohaas

pacohaas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have heard some people have issues with non-apple cables. Are you using the cable that came with your device?

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You aren't going to get the right answer because there have been at least three completely different 4g iPod models:
    iPod Classic 4g
    iPod Touch 4g
    iPod Nano 4g
    iPhone 4g

So until we know what you're talking about, you aren't going to get the right answer. But, if I had a guess, it's this: iPods used to support FireWire and USB. These two used different charging voltages -- 12v and 5v. Today, they only support 5v. Your iPod might not work with the 12v to 5v power adapter in your car. But unless we know exactly which iPod you have, it's all guessing.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yep. See Identifying iPod models.

Yep, I had a black and white 20 gig iPod 4th gen aka click wheel iPod. It supported 12 volt Firewire charging and came w/a Firewire AC adapter and Firewire cable. And, yes, Apple's moved to 5 volt USB charging only over time, and in all the current models.

11. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a couple 12v-to-USB adapters in my car, and find only one works with my iPhone 4.