1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ipod classic question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MarcSmith, Jan 25, 2014.

1. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey folks...Newb here.

I have a 30gb ipod classic with a broken screen. I used it for many years in my chevy hhr with the gm personal audio link. Basically a similar wired connection that the prius has using a usb cable into the ipod plug. with the ability to be controlled/browsed through the head unit.

I used to keep the ipod plugged in 24/7 in the chevy and it would be detected right away. Maybe once a month the system would lock me out and I'd need to turn the car off and openen the door to shut off all accy to "reboot".

So I have done the same thing on my 2010 prius iii.

sometimes when I get into the car the usb connection is detected right away, and other times it wont detect it... for 10-15 minutes.

unplugging the usb cable and plugging it back in doesn't seem to speed up the process.

I think the problem may be, since my normal drive is only 30 minutes each way and the usb port is not active(on) at all times, even when the car is turned off, the ipod is running itself down between uses. IE an hour each day isn't enough charge to fully charge the ipod and keep it from discharging the ipod batty.

So i'm thinking the delay in the ipod connecting is a result of the ipod having to reboot itself from a dead state.

is there any way to get power to the usb port even when the car is turned off. Maybe pull power from the 12v ciggy plug in the armrest? such that the ipod is going to be charged continuously.

I have also been thinking about a USB thumbdrive and have been reading up on setting up playlists and such...but exporting all that music and moving it around to setup playlist is just a daunting task...

2. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

YOLOsoBuyaPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you would want to have the 12v active all the time as it is very small and can drain easily. Could you turn the ipod off/sleep while you are at work/home instead of just leaving it on?

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yolo,

broken screen so I'd just be guessing, as to whether or not it actually shut off.

Yeah I know the prius 12v batty is a bit smaller than most but I've never had any issues with the ipod draining the HHR battery, even after being plugged in for a week while I was away on vacation. Plus the ipod once it gets fully charged it should stop charging or go into trickle charge mode.

i found this info...

USB-cables normally give 0.5 A output. The Ipod uses 5W according to it's marking on the back. The amp (A) or current is calculated from the formula: P=UxI which gives I=P/U in this case 5W/12V = 0.4167 amps. That fits the above 0.5 A from the USB. Now, a normal car battery is 75-90 Ah. Meaning that if the Ipod constantly would use 0.4167 amps (A) per hour it would get drained in 180-216 hours... (75/0.4167 or 90/0.4167).

the ipod fully charged will run about 30 hours, and needs 4 hours to fully charge and 1 hour for an 80% fast charge....

I've got the ipod on my daughters charger and will let it sit overnight... Maybe going into the car with a full charge may make a difference in the longevity of the charge, and how long it lasts between uses in the car ride before discharging fully.

I checked, the power port next to the usb plug is unfortunately not hot all the time, so pulling a hot wire from that location would not work...

Maybe the thumbdrive is the way to go for my around town jaunts, and save the ipod for the big trips... until I can get used to the thumbdrive navigation...

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Been 5 days using a 8gb thumb drive...Love it... I guess the big ipod with the broken screen is going to stay at home for a while longer.

5. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    U can get a 160GB 2.5 inch HDD and a cheap HDD enclosure to save all your music.

I am using a 40GB HDD to do that when I am going for trips.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 2 classic ipods (1 30, and 1 80 gb) and one ipod touch. I also have a 1tb usb HDD. all of my music fits on the 80gb ipod and in all all honesty, the 8gb thumbdrive holds enough 0f my "must listen" type of stuff to keep me happy.

the 30gb ipod with the busted screen was ideal for the car since you don't need the screen to function to listen to music in the car.

On a side note. today I realized i could stream pandora on my work smartphone direct to the car. way cool....

7. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm just using my iPhone with the usb port. The artist navigation is so terrible that it's not worth even plugging my classic in... not to mention the aforementioned flaky connection.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry I'm stillon android for my smart phone. Work is paying for it, so can't really complain.

artist selection is a pita, but I set up playlists to help reduce the scroll frustration....

9. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

whats bad about the artist navigation? isn't it sorted?
    Flaky connection may have many reasons. some ppl its the after market cable, others a reimage of Apple device fixes issues, of course we have HW issue of the Toyota system too.

Apple do certify all products with a authentication chip irrc.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    for those who use a usb flash drive....is there a maximum amount of folders the head unit will see?

the head unit is not seeing all my folders????

11. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I figured it out.... the songs/albums that are not displayed are all mp4, not mp3....argh....time to do some converting....

12. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    most cars only supports mp3, aac... no fancy formats like mp4, aac, no fancy formats..
    if U are a audiophile u are out of luck, need to use CDs.. LOL

13. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hardly an audiophile... I haven't touched a compact disc in nearly 5 years... I got a program to rip them from my ipod and then another program transfer the mp4 to mp3 after I copied them to my hdd and then sent them to an 8gb usb thumbdrive.

so far so good.