1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod connection for 2008 base model

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by isucompositeur, Feb 27, 2012.

1. isucompositeur

isucompositeur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey folks,

I have a base model 2008 Prius, that has no auxiliary audio connector at all.

I would like to add an iPod connector. Ideally, the connector would integrate with the head unit and let me browse all of my playlists.

I've done some research, but a lot of the connectors I've found seem to be limited to 6 playlists selected via the CD-changer option.

Does anybody know of an iPod connector that will give full access to iPod (iPhone 4S, to be exact) playlists in the head unit of a base-model 2008 Prius? (No nav, no JBL).

Thanks!

2. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am not aware of any adapter that 'takes control' of the MFD and lets you browse playlists. These adapters generally fool the head unit into thinking there is a CD changer - so the adapter can only display what a CD changer would normally display. When the vehicle is moving there may be further restrictions on what can be displayed. All that said, most adapters have a straight in mode where the iPod maintains control (i.e you browse on the iPod). You dont really need an iPod adapter for this, any old AUX will do. If you really want full browse control on a display you may have to go with an after market head unit. Just some thoughts based on my experience. Thanks.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    isn't there an 'auxin' in the bottom of the center console?

4. Wimble

Wimble Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no aux input on this model, just a power point in the centre console.

Two workarounds I can think of that get you halfway.

One is to purchase a decent fm transmitter and a good dock and place it where you can access it easily - ie driver side air vent, which whilst not ideal is workable.

Second is to purchase an expander for the adaptor you have in the centre console. You can get them to include expansions for USB, mini USB, aux etc - you can get these from generic car stores and on the net, as they are not Prius specific. However, opt for one with a power button so that you can control it and be mindful of battery drain. My reason for mentioning this specifically is that it gives you hard wired input.

In terms of controlling the MFD, I cannot advise.

5. isucompositeur

isucompositeur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oneaxepony - Yeah, I know about the ones that emulate the CD changer... I know there are also ones that emulate satellite radio and/or MD, but I can't discern whether or not that will work with my stereo.

Bisco - nope, unfortunately the base trim in 2008 did not have any kind of aux in.

Wimble - FM transmitter is out of the question--I drive between two larger metro areas and just about any useable frequency is occupied in one of the two. Also a mini-jack aux is not preferred, due to the ground loop issue--I need something that will send audio either through USB or dock connector.

One other option I've been looking at in the absence of a well-integrated solution is a bluetooth receiver that would work for both voice and audio playback. USA Spec's BT35-TOY looks like it might work for this.

6. Wimble

Wimble Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cannot think of anything other than an aftermarket hardware install of a separate audio unit that plays through the in built car speakers - and which has iPod docking compatibility.

But that would be relatively costly and a potential headache of a d.I.y job. Not to mention you might not want to be doing such a thing - but it would provide some measure of iPod features.

Perhaps Bluetooth is the way after all?

7. JasonQG

JasonQG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius