1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod/iPhone music cuts out

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by PinkFrankenstein, Mar 22, 2012.

1. PinkFrankenstein

PinkFrankenstein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm a new Prius V owner and I have a problem with playing music from either my classic iPod or iPhone via USB cable. The music will cut out from time to time.

Here's a description:

A song will be playing and then it will stop. After about 1 or 2 seconds it comes back on playing where it left off. Nothing happens on the screen on the Prius. Just stops and starts.

It's much worse on the iPod and happens less frequently on the iPhone. I can rewind the track and playback will play fine at the same sections where it previously cut out.

I thought at first that maybe the older iPod was the problem, and while it does happen on almost every song on the iPod it also does it every other or third song on the iPhone. After first experiencing this problem I restored the iPod and resynced the music. Didn't fix or change issue.

Every now and then it seems to happen if I brake suddenly or during acceleration, but this does not seem to be the case at all. The speakers don't pop or anything, music just stops, like it's stuck, then continues.

Anyone else experiencing(ed) this problem ?

2. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Are you using the OEM cable or aftermarket? W

3. PinkFrankenstein

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am using an original Apple USB to iPhone/iPod cable. Brand new, came with the phone.

4. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hmm that was my first thought. Some v seem to have issues with aftermarket cables. Might you have an alternate to try or borrow to try just to rule that out? I'm just guessing. I don't care how the radio immediately plays music on connection to Bluetooth but his is different entirely.
    W

5. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Wanderer has the right idea, process of elimination. Could be an issue with the cable connection so definitely try a different one. Does it happen when you use your Iphone via bluetooth? If it does then it may be a system issue and not a cable issue.

6. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I noticed I had something similar happen with my android phone with Bluetooth. Yes, I know, not the same thing, but hear me out.

I finally figured out what it was, during the 'blank out' times, my phone vibrated, which is usually when I had a reminder or an e-mail coming in on my phone. Now I do not know how iPhones handle reminders while you are listening to the audio player, but a good way to test this theory...

1) Setup a reminder in about 17 minutes from when you hook up your phone.
    2) Play music from your phone, keep the screen visible so you can see it.
    3) When the reminder's default time (usually 15 minutes, hence setting it at 17) reminder comes up, pay attention to see if music sort of 'stops' as your reminder sound goes off.

If it does... It could be that. I don't know why the car system does NOT play the notification sounds, but it was probably one of those, "We didn't think of that." And the phone developers never really consider the audio player being hooked up another system and you not hearing the notification (Which I tend to have a hard time when it is by my hip in a holster and music playing.)

7. PinkFrankenstein

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I went to the Apple store and got a brand new iPod (and new cable) to test. Just to help with process of elimination.

I tried the Bluetooth audio connection and that didn't work so great. Kept going out. I also notice that I drop every phone call. Now this could be an issue with the phone, and I have an idea that the audio is dropping out possibly because there is some sort of connection thing going on, which could account for it's randomness, maybe it picks up on bluetooth connections outside the vehicle.

Anyway, Keiichi has a good idea with that test.

I'll report back.

8. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Bluetooth outside of the car should not interfere with your car. Remember, for bluetooth to work, you have to actively pair devices. So if anything, if your car is new, you should only have the devices that you have added. Any other devices, you can clear, but the coincidental factor of being near said devices that were set in there a while ago is like 1 in 4000.

9. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You are also able to customize the Bluetooth pairing Pin if you so desire on the display radio. I'd be surprised if the upgraded JBL radio didn't allow it. That may rule out randomness sine 95% of BT devices uses 0000 as their default code. W

10. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Its sounding like a unique system problem. I am assuming your new cable did not resolve the issue? You mentioned BT didnt work out well. Did you get the same exact problem using BT? I can confirm that sound will cut out for about a second if a notification signal comes from the iPhone but I dont think thats the problem you are describing.

I use a cable to connect my iPod via the USB port and have my iPhone connected via BT and have not had any issues that you describe.

11. PinkFrankenstein

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I went and bought a new iPod and hooked that up using the new cable that came with it. Problem persists. It is not as frequent as with the older iPod, but it still happens.

I put the same songs via a playlist on each device. Today when I drive home from work I am going to use the old iPod new cable.

I did notice that twice today the pause happened while braking, which could be related to the charging that happens when one brakes in a Prius. It's just something I noticed and can't confirm.

Either way I believe I have enough info to go back to the dealer.

12. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yea, seems strange for the regenerative brakes to cause a feedback like that. Sounds like a possible bad head unit or got miswired.

13. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had exact same problem with Escape Hybrid's Synch system (as did many other owners). The issue resolved with one of the iPhone IOS updates. I believe it was the phone checking for Wifi which would blank out the Bluetooth connection. Make sure you iPhone has latest operating system update and turn off your Wifi and see if that fixes it.

Check on the Ford Synch owners forum for the exact resolution.

Few people see this problem with the Prius/Toyota so it seems unique to your iPhone which suggests an update issue.

14. PinkFrankenstein

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Went to the dealer twice and they couldn't get it to fail. I was driving by and the bluetooth audio was failing, skipping through songs. I live near the dealer and stopped by and told them to get a mechanic to look at it. I also spoke to Toyota customer care and got a case number. I'll know Monday when the get back to me on what the next step will be. I'm going to push to replace the unit.

15. Priuskat

Priuskat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I used a my previous car stereo cable that worked great in my 2007 Prius to connect Iphone to car so I could listen to podcasts. Now have a PIP, same car - a lot of static . . . . . . bought new cable - still static . . . bought a 3rd expensive cable - still static . . . went into my husband's Camry (Iphone worked fine with his cable) - on my car - Statis - ugh! this is frustrating - does anyone have a solution or reason??

16. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A long, long time ago, my first Saab had a wiring issue. The interior lights would only go off if I stepped on the brake. I used it as a nice parlor trick to impress my friends until I could get it to the dealer to be fixed. Since then nothing much has surprised me. :D

17. Arizonaguy

Arizonaguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yup, i do agree with you.

18. Rocky77

Rocky77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exact same thing is happening with my new Prius and my iPod. Will be interested to hear if there is a fix.

19. PinkFrankenstein

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Update:

Toyota replace the "stereo" unit on the car. They said they replaced the unit that you see on the dashboard with the volume control and display screen. That whole thing.

Issues still persists. When I playback music on an iPod classic from time to time it pauses. I created a YouTube video of the issue:

Go to youtube

(I may disable that link in the future, particularly if it gets abused)

I also have an issue with an iPhone continually dropping the connection to the car.

I tested both issues with two separate devices (my girlfriends iPod and a work iPhone)

Issues persisted.

I loaned my iPod to a co-worker who has a Prius V 3 (mine is a 5). The iPod did not fail for him.

I've got a message into Toyota and await to hear back from them.

20. Vamc555

Vamc555 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Until recently i was playing music on my car with BT from my iPhone 4 and it was working fine. Since two days, i started playing music from my 160 GB iPod classic connected through USB cable and the music cuts out very often at least once for a duration of two songs. I have contacted Toyota and waiting for their reply. I don't get this when i connect my 16 GB iPhone 4 and listen music from it. The 160 GB IPOD has almost 25 GB of music on it and i am thinking the size of the music library also plays a part here. Can you please post your music library size and what type of IPOD are you using?