1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod MFD Integration Unit Group Buy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ May 30 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]262840[/snapback]</div>

Considering that the unit we are all testing isn't available for purchase yet, he must have purchased the standard Toyota one.

2. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I took the time this morning to finish off my installation. No holes, no extra cables (except for the aux line). Leaves enough cord for the iPod to reach the MFD screen or fit in the cup holders easily. The cords and iPod are stored in the drawer under the console.

1. I removed the center console by lifting the cup holder assembly to remove it.

2. Unscrewed the two screws near the floor that had been hidden under the cup holder assembly. I loosened the screw that joins the side panel to the console, just above that screw on the driver's side.

3. Unbolted the 10mm bolts under the felt liner in the arm console. You can now move the whole console up and back.

4. Removed the center hump under-dash panel.

5. Fished the 8-pin mini-DIN and aux cable through the carpet from the console side to the under-dash side. The iPod connector end is very difficult to fish, so I found it very easy to do it this way.

6. Connected cords to the DICE Box and pulled the slack thru the carpet. Replaced the center dash panel.

7. Led the wires around the outside of the driver side screw connector and tucked them under the carpet.

8. Replaced the console and tucked the wires between the side panel and console, where I had loosed the screw, to a point level with the top of the drawer. Tightened the two screws on the driver side to hold the wires, then tightened the screw on the passenger side. Replaced the bolts in the console and put cup holder assembly back on.

3. jbeebe1

jbeebe1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ May 30 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]263144[/snapback]</div>
    To make sure I understand, the unit that is being tested integrates both sound and ipod controls into the factory stereo via a cable that goes to the small dice box and the dice video dock is a seperate unit. Correct? So does anyone know if the dice video dock requires the unit that is being tested here for the audio side?

Also, has anyone seen or checked into this? Click Here
    It seems to be a cable that charges the ipod and converts the a/v signal to RCA style jacks. I'm curious to see what you all think about this. I was thinking about maybe using this to connect to something like Coastal's ViewTech to gain both audio and video??
    Thanks again everyone.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mmmmmmmike @ Jun 2 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]265054[/snapback]</div>

ok, found out. That's the old model you have. I've been told it's not available anymore - so I don't get how you have it. But, call up your salesperson and they'll work it out.

5. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All you really need to play your video iPod thru anything with A/V ports is a iPod AV cable and a car charger. I got my AV cable for .01 + $6 shipping. See examples here: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?c...+rca&category0=

Or if you have an AV cable that comes with a camcorder, you can use that. The only thing is Apple switched the video and audio cord. So you use either the white or red (can't remember now which one) for the video and the other two for the audio.

6. sawyer

sawyer New Member

I've signed up for the group buy.

Do we have any information on ship dates for the DICE? Final cost? I had hoped that this would be the Father's Day gift.

Thanks.

7. mbrunstedt

mbrunstedt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Jun 3 2006, 11:14 AM) [snapback]265211[/snapback]</div>

Here are the pics:

If this is, in fact, the old version I will call them tomorrow and see about replacing with the new unit! Thanks for your time everyone!

Mike

8. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Beta unit looks just like that, but has a big BETA C: 2:14 sticker on it. I'd say return it for the proper one.

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey folks!

Can those of you who were nice enough to make notes please forward them to me? I'm going to give them to the techs directly. B)

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Jun 3 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]265173[/snapback]</div>
    Does it rattle any?

I guess the Plan For Now is to go for a hole into the cubby under the radio, since all I have there now can be stored in the armrest. However, since I don't use the lower drawer at all, it might be better.

Once we can order and I get the parts, I'll size up how they fit in the car and finalize the plan...

11. dgstan

dgstan Member

After a week of listening to playlists, I decided this morning that I wanted to listen to albums. I could not get this to work. What state does the Ipod need to be in before you can change to album mode (disc 3)?

First, I backed all the way out of my playlist and it wouldn't play the albums - it still wanted to be in playlist mode.

Then I manually started playing an album, but DICE only let me switch between the first three albums (out of hundreds on the Ipod).

What am I doing wrong??? I have a 4th Gen 40GB and an '05 with NAV.

Thanks,

DGStan

12. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "Does it rattle any?"

Not if you put a piece of that rubber drawer liner in there.

I made a little clip that slips into the cassette opening. I slip the belt clip of my iSee ipod case over the clip and have myself a nice dock for when I don't have it in the drawer.
    http://www.contourcase.com/isee/iseevideo/

DGStan,

Does the Playlist that you are in have 3 albums in it? The album selection will play and select only the albums in a specified playlist. You could create a smart playlist with all files. That way when you choose albums from that playlist, you will get the behavior you are looking for.

PLAYLIST 1>ALBUMS in PLAYLIST 1>TRACKS in PLAYLIST 1. Think of it this way...It is ALWAYS in Playlist mode. Shuffle will shuffle songs in a Playlist, Albums will select albums in a Playlist, Tracks are numbered and selected by Playlist.

13. bbgun

bbgun New Member

Got a call from DICE- I had ask them to call me when units were ready for the 06 with Nav system. They assured me it was all working on the 06 with Nav. Got the unit it works (plays music) but no text display of song info and no navigation display of playlists. Sure wish they would get this all working

14. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bbgun,

Are you sure it is set to DICE mode and not iPod mode? You won't get the text in iPod mode.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so does anybody have any idea when this group buy might actually commence?

16. bbgun

bbgun New Member

Yes I have tried all the various dip switches & talked with there tech support - No txt display other than track numbers & time on 06 with Nav

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bbgun @ Jun 5 2006, 08:24 PM) [snapback]266363[/snapback]</div>

17. JanZtax

JanZtax New Member

Most of the posts about the DICE unit/iPod integration refer to various CD #s being pushed for various functions. I just have a single CD player in my 2004 Prius. Does that mean I'll be limited in what I can see/do if I install the unit?

18. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you have audio controls on the steering wheel, you shouldn't have any problem. You push MODE to change between Playlist, Album, etc. and < or > for previous, next.

19. mabrown

mabrown New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Jun 6 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]266594[/snapback]</div>
    So does that mean this unit lets you browse artists on the mfd or are you limited to playlists only?

20. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Technically, you can't really "browse". You select a Playlist and then the functions work within it. To browse by artist, you would use the iPod's controls to browse and select.

If you create a "Smart" Playlist in iTunes for Albums does not contain (blank), you will have a Playlist that includes all your albums. You can use this Playlist if you want to skip by album or track. There is no artist search in the system itself. It does show the Artist/Album/Track name in the Track information (D1) when the song is playing.