1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod MFD Integration Unit Group Buy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Konagal @ Jun 6 2006, 01:51 AM) [snapback]266556[/snapback]</div>

No. The car will think you added a 6-disc player. You're fine.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so no ETA yet?

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Since I don't see too many "It doesn't work at all" posts, and I'm going to run it in "Play one of these 3,000 songs at random" mode most of the time I use it instead of nitpicking which album it plays, can we get going on an order?...

4. mjohan

mjohan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Jun 6 2006, 11:31 AM) [snapback]266697[/snapback]</div>
    Hi folks, I've been watching this thread closely.

Hmm. This is a bit discouraging. I was under the impression that the Dice system would offer all the ipod controls through menus on the touch-screen. I had been watching Coastal eTech's progress on their system. They show this image of their software in action which suggests you will be able to browse by artist, song, genre, etc.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately their product seems to be vaporware (has been listed as "coming soon" for about a year I think). And they don't return email inquiries.

Anyhow, I just want to confirm that what you see in that image above does not represnt what the Dice system will do.

Thanks,

--Matt

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Am I too late to sign up for this?

6. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, that doesn't represent what the DICE system will do. However, it is very difficult to drive and make so many selections. Those selections are available thru the iPod controls when necessary. For the price, it does fine. The real way to get to efficiency is in the setting up of your playlists. Unlimited is nice, but really, does anyone really plan on scrolling thru 999 playlists?

I decided to slim it down to about 24 playlists. Using ITunes Smart Playlists, I started the naming convention at 02- because the T2 playlist is the first on the system.
    02-Favorite Artists
    03-All Other Artists
    04-Pop/Rock
    05-Country
    06-Opera
    07-New Age
    08-Christmas
    09-Comedy
    10-Male Artists
    11-Female Artists
    12-Boy Bands
    13-Girl Bands
    14-Tour Audio
    15-Interviews
    and so on. Since it is easy to skip albums within a playlist, this works out most efficiently for me.

7. mjohan

mjohan New Member

Too bad. I really have little time and less inclination to manage playlists (this includes smart playlists). Essentially what I am looking for is a system that will allow me to browse my 30GB of music from the touch-screen interface. Browsing with the touch-screen has got to be easier and safer than twiddling with the click-wheel of an ipod while driving (or stopped at a light)

Unfortunately, it sounds like Dice will not do this for me.

Beyond the vaporware Coastal Etech product, does anyone know of another product that proports to offer this functionality.

I think I'd just hook the ipod up through an AUX connector rather than shelling out for the Dice or similar system. I'm just having trouble seeing the benefit.

--Matt

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjohan @ Jun 7 2006, 08:50 AM) [snapback]267251[/snapback]</div>
    As I don't have an AUX connecter, I see a benefit. :) And as I don't have an iPod yet, I can set it up the way the DICE would want it.

You might want to look at the VAIS system. It costs more, but it may do what you want.

9. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjohan @ Jun 7 2006, 10:50 AM) [snapback]267251[/snapback]</div>
    Doesn't Harmon Kardon Drive and Play come close? Click HERE

10. mabrown

mabrown New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggood @ Jun 7 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]267326[/snapback]</div>
    It would be close if it used the MFD and not a seperate screen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jun 7 2006, 11:07 AM) [snapback]267268[/snapback]</div>
    It still uses playlists, it supports 99 playlists with up to 99 songs per list. Looks like I'm going to have to settle for that. :( How many playlists and songs per list does the dice unit support?

11. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How many playlists and songs per list does the dice unit support?

Unlimited for DICE

12. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I need to correct what I said earlier about everything working off the Playlist.

I just tried using the iPod controls to select ALBUMS, ALL, ALL and the wheel controls work with selecting the next album and track within the album. Same thing with Artist and Genre. So you really can navigate easily. The advantage of doing it this way over just the AUX mode, is that you can read the artist/album/title information on the MFD for the song that is playing

If you select a specific album or artist or genre, the navigation works within that selection.

13. mabrown

mabrown New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Jun 7 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]267353[/snapback]</div>
    Ok so when can we order? :D

14. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As far as I can see, there are really only two things that should get fixed.
    1. Album count becoming playlist count when going from D3 to D2.
    2. Odd characters | _U or | bU or | on long file names.

Nice things to have would be:
    1. PLAYLIST * Playlist Name, ALBUM*Album Name
    2. Automatically go to AUDIO screen with TITLES ON
    3. Shuffle and Repeat to work with MFD RAND and RPT

15. bbgun

bbgun New Member

And the fact that none of the title text or playlists work on the 06 with NAV models yet

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Jun 7 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]267457[/snapback]</div>

16. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I feel for you 2006 owners, but if the firmware could be updated later by "playing a song" firmware file, it would be nice to finish up non-high resolution display issues and allow those users 2004-2005 to buy it now and update it later, if they ever buy a later model Prius.
    Is it only the 2006 with Nav that has the high-resolution screen or all packages?

17. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Jun 7 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]267457[/snapback]</div>
    I would add this as something "nice to be fixed":

When in "track" mode (disc 1), pushing the previous track button (down arrow on steering wheel) takes you to the previous track. On a standalone Ipod or our CD changer, pushing that button takes you to the beginning of the current track (two pushes takes you to the previous track). Not saying one method is better than the other, but one certainly is more prevalent.

-----

I would also say shuffle and repeat using the MFD buttons needs to be implemented. It's not a "wish list" item. The button are right there on the MFD - make them work!!!

Also, have you guys noticed how the "rewind" function works? You push and release the "rewind" button and it continues to rewind until you press the fast-forward button. You don't have to hold it. However, the FF button doesn't work this way. You have to hold it to continue FF'ing. Weird.

Finally, I got the album mode set up the way I like it. As suggested, I created a Playlist with every single song on it. I set the Ipod to "Shuffle Albums" and start playing the "All" playlist. Now it acts like a 400 disc CD changer. That's what I'm talkin' about!

DGStan

18. JanZtax

JanZtax New Member

Could someone, in non-technical terms, please tell me how to choose between the Vais SL1 and the DICE ipod integration unit. I have a 2004 Prius without navigation system and with a single CD changer. Thank you.

19. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ............................VAIS............................DICE
    List Price:.............$299............................$159-179
    Nbr Playlists..........99 or 999.....................Unlimited
    Songs in PL...........99 or 999.....................Unlimited
    Aux.......................RCA............................1/8" and Gain/Bass/Mid/Treble control
    Use iPod w/Unit......No - must chg mode......Yes - can use both controls
    Artist/Album/Title...single screen 2006 MP3 only...Track Screen. Title on Playlist, album, chapter screens

20. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You're right! The Rewind will go until the beginning of the track and then start playing it. In a way this is what you were looking for with the previous button behavior.