1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod MFD Integration Unit Group Buy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Apr 24, 2006.

1. woodcreeper

woodcreeper New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Jul 12 2006, 04:49 PM) [snapback]285170[/snapback]</div>
    There are definitely two unused plugs, since I don't have NAV to daisy-chain into the Y connector (confirmed with Denison tech support). I spoke with Denison and they were very helpful. They're sending me a replacement tomorrow with and RMA to send back my current one. We tried troubleshooting it, but it appears that the module (the box) is possibly faulty. Either way, they were fantastic to deal with- and I'm so psyched that they're sending me the new one before I send back the old one so I don't miss a day without my iPod in my Prius...it's been too long without it and it sounds SO MUCH BETTER than the FM transmitter.

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Cheers

David

2. ml194152

ml194152 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(woodcreeper @ Jul 11 2006, 09:39 PM) [snapback]284749[/snapback]</div>
    It looks like I am the second one now to have this problem. Its the same symptions as woodcreeper has. Also, when I turn the car off and back on again, the iPod is stuck on pause. No music comes out unless I use the iPod MENU button to back out to the current playlist (or a different one) and then click the SELECT button (the center one on the clickwheel) until a song in that playlist is selected. Then the music comes back on through the Prius speaker.

I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but being used to the VAIS unit on my Prius (the Dice is on my wife's Prius), when the music first came up after I tried it the first time after installing, I tested it out by pressing and holding the steering wheel "Next Track" button (the one with the up arrow). On the VAIS that will jump to the next disk. That apparently doesn't work on the Dice. :rolleyes: So I wonder if that somehow messed up the logic in the Dice?

I guess I will have to call Dice on Monday. :angry:

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ml194152 @ Jul 15 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]286813[/snapback]</div>

Which iPod's do you 2 have and what software version are they running.

4. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ml194152 @ Jul 15 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]286813[/snapback]</div>
    FWIW, pressing and holding the up arrow should advance you to the "next disc" (although I'm not sure if DICE's definition of "next disc" is the same as VAIS's).

5. ml194152

ml194152 Member

My wife (its her Prius that has the Dice, mine has the VAIS) has the 5G iPod Video 30 GB. Firmware 1.1.1.

On the VAIS the next disk is the next playlist. I was trying to jump to the next playlist but forgot it wasn't my VAIS unit. :p

6. mjohan

mjohan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Jul 4 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]281098[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, I have finally gotten a chance to fully test. A few learnings...

1. Moving through playlists and tracks within playlists is fairly easy and works well if you are patient.

2. Moving quickly through tracks will confuse the system.

3. If I turn off the car and turn it on again, the ipod will be on pause. The only way I can see to start it again without touching the ipod is to forward the track using the steering wheel controls...the next song in the list will play. If I turn off the car in the middle of the track there seems to be no way to continue where it left off.

4. Disc 3 -- moving through albums -- does not work at all! This is very discouraging. According to LurkAzusa this sounds like standard functionality so I fear my system is either defective or the functionality does not work with 3G ipods with the latest firmware. Anyone else have this problem?

5. I could have sworn I was able to fast forward tracks using the MFD and my 3G Ipod but was unable to do it today. I must have been using my wife's mini when I saw that functionality working.

6. It would be REALLY nice if it showed the playlist name.

That's it so far. Hope I don't have to ship this back to dice to fix #4 above.

--Matt

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got mine! It took 45 mins to install. The hardest part was trying to remove the bolt for the white box... which I never did. I gave up and just slipped my hand in between and plugged the plug in.

couple of questions
    a) the plug between the DICE and the car.. I can't snap it tight. It's in and it's tight but the "lock" isn't in place

B) the plug into the car is in and pulling on the wires didn't loosen the plug but I never heard a click. Is that okay?

Aside from the two things above, the AUX Input works well although for my mp3, I had the gain all the way up to 99 so that the "normal" volume on the car for CDs (vol 20) and the normal volume on the mp3 player would result in a comfortable volume when played through the car so that I don't have to constantly change either the car's volume or the mp3's volume every time I plug the player in.

8. rightonbro

rightonbro Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 19 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]289209[/snapback]</div>

I ran into the same concern with that plug. No click, no lock....I tugged on it a couple of times. The first time it came out, the second time it stuck, so I just left it there. Haven't had any problems.

9. aknee87

aknee87 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 19 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]289209[/snapback]</div>
    I had a really hard time getting the bolt off, but once finally off, everything went okay and works well.

THEN...DOH! :eek: I had a really hard time getting the bolt back and it fell out in the process, I think behind the stereo. Can't see or feel it. Does anybody know exactly what kind of bolt it is? I know it's 10mm, but don't know the thread, etc. Any help is *greatly* appreciated.

10. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aknee87 @ Jul 20 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]289523[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure your local Toyota dealer can get you one for about a buck fitty. When I was installing my new tweeters, I lost one of the little metal clips that hold on the cover. I was pleasantly suprised that it cost a buck. Toyota could gouge is on those little things, but it's good they don't.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rightonbro @ Jul 19 2006, 10:34 PM) [snapback]289220[/snapback]</div>
    Alright thanks.

hmm, couple of things. When I turn off the car and turn the car back on, the radio won't play the mp3 player. I'll have to go to AUDIO then select DISC 5 and then change tracks twice (back to 1 then back to 2) before I get music. Is there a better solution to this?

Edit: I should add I do turn off the mp3 player when I turn off the car then turn it back on when I get back in.

12. aknee87

aknee87 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dgstan @ Jul 20 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]289648[/snapback]</div>
    I thought of that, but was a little paranoid :unsure: that Toyota would then know I tore apart the dash. However, you've encouraged me to go ahead and give it a try. I might get two...or more...since I'm such a klutz, and getting that bolt back in there is definitely not easy for me.

Thanks!

13. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aknee87 @ Jul 20 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]289655[/snapback]</div>
    It's not like the knucklehead at the parts counter is going to record what items you purchase. All he's thinkin' about is how to get the cashier to go out with him.

As long as you don't have to divulge your VIN, I think you're safe.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 20 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]289654[/snapback]</div>
    Your MP3 player is attached to your AUX, right? I have my portable XM attached to that (don't have the iPod yet).

With me when I hit the power button of the radio, and the last thing I did was use the AUX input, it goes directly to that. If the portable XM is off, I hear a buzz until I power that up, then I get sound. If I turn the portable XM on first, then I get sound immediately. I can cycle between a regular CD and the AUX input by tapping the CD/TAPE button. If the radio isn't on, and I used the AUX last, it comes up immediately by pressing the CD/TAPE button.

That's very odd, it should be doing the same with you. Or am I not understanding the problem?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aknee87 @ Jul 20 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]289655[/snapback]</div>
    The Magnuson-Moss Act should give you protection with that.

You can try putting something a little sticky in the 10mm socket (or the screwdriver) to hold ithe screw while you're putting it in. In my computer kit I have a small gripper. It's like those long ones that have a button on one end and 3 wires that come out and grab on to something.

15. linlsw

linlsw New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 20 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]289209[/snapback]</div>
    Got the same question in the first place :huh: . After pluging and unpluging it several times, finally heard a "click" that I have been waiting for a long time. You have to push it very hard though. :rolleyes: Anyway, it should be ok as long as if it won't fall I guess..

16. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjohan @ Jul 17 2006, 10:41 PM) [snapback]288002[/snapback]</div>

Is this how it is supposed to work? If so I will not be able to use the DICE even if they do make it work in a 2006. I usually listen to audiobooks in the car and I can't have it losing my place in a 4-8 hour track every time I turn the car off! If that's how it works, I'll stick to the Aux input.

17. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 2005 with Nav/BT and the DICE Unit. When you connect the ipod, it initializes and then begins playing the first song in the last playlist you "manually" listened to. If you later disconnect the iPod, it will again do the same after reconnecting.

If you do not disconnect the iPod, it will return and begin playing where you last left off when you turned off the car. This is great. The only problem I have is I live in So Cal where the temps are well over 90 most of the year and I can't leave my iPod connected in such a hot environment long term, so I always have to disconnect. I've learned to manually select a song in the playlist I plan to listen to most, so it will be in that playlist when I connect it.

18. priussafta

priussafta New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Jul 5 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]281593[/snapback]</div>

Danny -
    Though I'm signed up for the group buy, summer is my busy work time, and I just haven't been able to deal with ordering. Will you still have units at the end of August when I'll be ready?

Also, are they continuing to modify the units based on comments or do they consider it a finished product?

Hope you're enjoying your new car.

19. ver523

ver523 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Jul 21 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]290026[/snapback]</div>
    Good information and to add to the above -- in order to keep your place in an audiobook when you have to disconnect the ipod, manually pause the audiobook and then start playing from another playlist before disconnecting the device. Otherwise your audiobook will be reset to the beginning when you later reconnect. A real PIA but necessary unless you consciously remember to check your lapsed time when you removed the ipod.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hmm... the issues I mentioned above seemed to have solved itself.