1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod MFD Integration Unit Group Buy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Apr 24, 2006.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ May 2 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]248658[/snapback]</div>
    Actually they just contacted me. I'm going to be beta testing a new unit for them. This is going to be the first actual test in a 2006 for the new VAIS unit. I'll be getting the necessary stuff so I can update the unit myself as bugs are found. Apparently the 2006 changes are more significant than previously thought. I will post the results in my original 2006 and AIC thread.

I'm going to skip this group buy for now.

2. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The DICE instruction manual is available on their support site.

DICE IPOD Integration Manual

This may help answer any questions regarding how the playlists work, etc.

3. forumreader

forumreader New Member

Does anyone know if the DICE allows me to control the iPod manually to select songs (without playlists) if I so choose? I really hate the idea of having to separate stuff into playlists, but if I could live with it if I could still control the ipod manually through my regular library if need be.

I'm just about ready to sign up, though I'm curious about this. I'm assuming the answer is yes, but will this work on a 2005 standard Prius with just the standard cd player, no changer or nav?

4. snoeber

snoeber New Member

What are the differences of this product compared to the VAIS iPod Integration except for the lower price?

Is it also possible to get this product shipped to Europe?

Thank you for the answers!

Tobias

5. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snoeber @ May 5 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]250193[/snapback]</div>
    VAIS Tech has a new SLI/iPod Interface that works with the 2006 Prius.
    The new SLI will work with all 2006/07 Toyotas and has the same functionality as the current 2004/05 version but now supports up to 9999 songs in the playlist, with information about album, artist and song title on the single screen!
    The new unit will also include an automatic "I agree" button activation.
    As far as I know, Vais will ship to anyplace that UPS will deliver to.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ May 4 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]250102[/snapback]</div>
    It does help, thank you for posting this.

7. thejq

thejq Junior Member

Wow the UI is significantly simplified from the ICE>Link UI. Personally I like the old ICE>Link UI, because, for one, I can directly chose one of the first 5 playlist by one touch.

Also it says "Car Configuration Switch. The features of this switch are currently inactive." So with the current FW, iPod control is disabled.

The video cradle looks interesting!

8. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why do you say iPod control is disabled? The Car Configuration Switch is inactive, but the IPod Configuration is active. This allows DICE Mode which states "DICE Mode is best selected when controls from both the iPod and the radio are both desired." Sounds to me that you can use both the radio and iPod controls without switching modes.

9. thejq

thejq Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ May 5 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]250446[/snapback]</div>
    Ooops, my bad. I mis-read :huh: . I thought in the DICE mode, only the radio control is enabled (like the old ICE>Link).

10. Black2006

Black2006 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ May 4 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]250102[/snapback]</div>
    So, if I am reading this correctly, no track info? :-(

11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think you might be getting confused by the two sets of switches. there is one set labeled "car config switch" (which is listed as currently inactive), and another set listed as "iPod config switch". this last set of switches can be set to two positions: one, "iPod mode", which enables radio control and iPod control of the iPod, and DICE Mode, which enables both of those, plus radio text display, Track time info, and "initialization", which from what i understand means it takes up to 10 seconds at the beginning before anything will play.

So you can have track info, you just have to wait those few seconds for the iPod to initialize when you first start the car.

12. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    eagle, that's how I understand it, too. Seems like it covers everything I would want. Radio and iPod controls can be used and CD-Text for the Artist and Song Title. I'll be beta testing as soon as it arrives and will confirm it. I've got over 99 playlists and a playlist with more than 999 songs to test that there aren't any maximum limits like the 99/999 VAIS limits.

13. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ May 6 2006, 01:54 AM) [snapback]250674[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have a CD changer? What year is your Prius? From what I was able to read in their manual, it appears they still only emulate a CD Changer. This is actually fine if you have a 2006 Prius (the radio will understand 2 CD changers) or no changer at all. If you have a 2004/05 Prius this will conflict with the built-in changer. Vais can emulate a MD Changer that the 04/05 Prius will understand but not the 06 Prius.

Vais has a new SLI has the same functionality as the current 2004/05 version but now supports up to 9999 songs in a playlist, and for the 06 Prius radios that can play MP3 Discs, there is a new mode that displays information about album, artist and song title on the single screen!

And if you have Navigation there is an automatic "I agree" button activation.

14. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 2005 #6 which has the CD Changer. DICE is stating it is compatible and therefore why I chose to beta test and join this group buy. While I appreciate your interest in the VAIS unit, is it necessary to post the same post in multiple threads and particularly in this one dedicated to a specific manufacturer's group buy? If necessary, probably a feature comparison chart would be more appropriate for more information?

15. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My interest in DICE is that it's cheaper. There's a limit to how much more I'd pay, even if I never had to push the "I Agree" button again.

If the Vais people feel like making a similar-if-not-as-cheap offer, say $180 plus shipping, I'd take into account both beta-tests mentioned here before buying. Hopefully what works better for a 2006 won't hurt a 2004.

If someone would pass that on, I'd appreciate it...

16. falcinator

falcinator New Member

I read somehwere that you'll to have to use a playlist in order for functionality. Does this mean that you won't be able to just play single albums or songs via the MFD or the Ipod itself.....?

Also, since there wil be an aux in line, will there be any connectivity to the MFD via this second device? I assume not.

17. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(falcinator @ May 8 2006, 02:29 PM) [snapback]251722[/snapback]</div>
    I doubt it, but I've lived with that for the past year using my portable XM radio and MP3 player. That's not a problem to me. :)

18. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The DICE Manual states:

To take full advantage of our quick music browsing system, you must have your music organized in playlists on your iPod before using your DICE iPod Integration Kit.

At the very least you should be able to play any song you want at any time using the iPod controls using the AUX setting. It sounds like you can use the next track buttons, too, but I'll test that when I get it. You could always setup one smart playlist for all your songs. Would be pretty slow to navigate, though, I would imagine.

19. falcinator

falcinator New Member

Will it be possible to use another kind of mp3 player as the main input or perhaps use some sort of dock connector wire to mini usb plug to use another mp3 player for the interface?

What's the progress of this unit......?

20. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, the software is custom written to control the iPod interface. You could use the AUX port for that, but you would not have any interface control through the MFD or steering wheel controls.

I'm still waiting to hear about the shipping status of our first 5 orders (beta testers), but hopefully finalizing of this group buy is less than a week or so away.