1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod MFD Integration Unit Group Buy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what about shipping costs?

2. sariantekara

sariantekara New Member

so what of us classic owners 01-03 are we just screwed yet again it seems i cant find any info on my car anymore i would like to know of all the featers that would be available from this unit if it is indeed compatible with my 01

3. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sariantekara @ May 11 2006, 05:10 AM) [snapback]253361[/snapback]</div>
    Your radio should be able to understand a CD and MD changer. You only need to get the correct cable to use a any of these devices. It is my understanding it is very expensive for these companies to order any small runs of cables so it isn't cost effect for them to offer the option for the Classic Prius.

This is the link for the cable:
    http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pietoyfmm.html

Have you seen this:
    http://www.cesium.com/Prius/mdchanger/

If you have a changer, you will need something that emulates an MD changer.

4. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

Has anybody received these yet?? how difficult is the install? Doesn't look like DICE has the install instructions up yet for the Prius.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San Diego Steve @ May 11 2006, 10:16 AM) [snapback]253571[/snapback]</div>
    If it's like the instructions Craig did for the VIAS install (which I can't find at the moment), it should take about 30 minutes.

6. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San Diego Steve @ May 11 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]253571[/snapback]</div>
    Have the units shipped to the beta testers yet? They were supposed to go out last Friday. I haven't heard any updates on the status.

DGStan

7. silly

silly Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dgstan @ May 11 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]253681[/snapback]</div>
    I'm one of the Beta testers. The units haven't shipped yet. On May 9th Danny's post stated "I'm still waiting to hear about the shipping status of our first 5 orders (beta testers), but hopefully finalizing of this group buy is less than a week or so away.".

8. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silly @ May 11 2006, 04:56 PM) [snapback]253745[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I'm one of the beta testers too. I'm hoping to get some concrete information. It sounded initially like the units were ready to go.

9. sariantekara

sariantekara New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ May 11 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]253555[/snapback]</div>

hey thank you bobr i do have the cd changer y harness i used it to to make a sudo ipod hook up my expirments with getting the remote functions to work is where i failed but the getto dock interface i made left a gaping hole
    in my hart the sound was great but absolutley no control still havent gotten video to the onboard screen but i have to 8 inch's for my video goodness i could post pictures of my installs of all my toys for the other readers that my still have a clssic haha i feel so obsolete

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello folks. I've been lurking in this thread for a while now and I thought I would give you a update on what's going on. I'm pressed for time on this so I'll keep it short and post details later.

Basicly, they're not done yet. They're still in the development stage, so there are no beta units to be shipped. Why this was promised I don't know; as the engineers are not releasing anything yet.

How do I know this? They're using my car to develop it. I brought pics!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No images of an actual iPod hooked up yet. The car is plugged right into the computer.

Here's the good news. They're working really really hard on this. Over the past 2 months I'd say I've actually had the chance to drive my car for about 2 weeks off and on. It's spends it's time at their place, being nit-picked. The Prius is very complicated - there's a number of ways to get the computer to do the exact same thing. And they're allmost done. I've promised my car to them for as long as they need it to make sure everything is perfect.

.....and I need a favor. Would any owners of an 06 be willing to take their car to Long Beach, CA for a day in the near future to verify that it works correctly? I would be in your debt, and I think the best thing I can offer is a fat discount on your cell bill if you have Sprint or if you plan on switching. Otherwise I think I can offer the kind person is some tears of joy.

Questions? I'll pass em on.

Ok, I just recieved word that whoever is willing to lend an 06 they'll give them a completed unit and (of course) leave it installed.

11. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dang it, my car is exactly like yours, except for the tires and rims. I've emailed a friend who just got a 2006 and lives near Long Beach to see if she would be willing to help.

When they are ready for the beta testing, can I just stop by and pick it up rather than wait for shipping? I'm only about 30 miles away.

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ May 13 2006, 06:53 PM) [snapback]254966[/snapback]</div>

They have done that in the past, but with their new location I'm not sure if they want to continue with that. I'll check on it.

And thank you so much for trying. Hopefully your friend has an iPod. :p

13. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    She's an audiophile, like myself, so if she doesn't have one yet, she can always borrow mine until she does.

14. falcinator

falcinator New Member

Vagabond.....

I realize the crew is just trying to get this ready, working and out the door but is there any possibility that they could program in the option for usb 2.0 compliant MP3 players to interface with the Prius MFD as well as the Ipod interface....?

Also, I have an 04' with the 6 disc changer, JBL sound and NAV. Will there be any conflicts with this setup?

Many thanks and good luck!

15. samkusnetz

samkusnetz New Member

thanks for the update, vagabond. to tell the truth, i'm a little miffed that we were given a ship date that was evidently fabircated. reminds me of getting the car itself :)

but glad to hear that development is going well.

keep us posted!

16. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(falcinator @ May 13 2006, 09:20 PM) [snapback]255045[/snapback]</div>

I don't believe such a thing would be possible. One, the mp3 player would have to support music playing though the data port (not just data transfer, but an actual audio stream) Two, and much more difficult is that if the player was designed to allow music to be played through the port it would use a set of instructions to tell it when to play, stop, fast forward, skip, etc.... and a command to tell a Creative player to play would be different than what would be for a Rio player. You would have to map each and every device. That's exactly what a set of drivers for your computer is for example. You use a different driver for each different device you use, even if they proform the exact same function.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samkusnetz @ May 13 2006, 11:37 PM) [snapback]255081[/snapback]</div>

No worries. I think it was more of my fault; I needed my car for a week for a long drive to San Diego and things got post-poned.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ May 13 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]254971[/snapback]</div>

I have a older 1st gen Mini iPod I'd be willing to give her if she likes.

17. JeffSchlichter

JeffSchlichter New Member

I live in Huntington Beach (10 minutes south) and I am willing to loan my car for the test....please let me know!

Jeffrey Schlichter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ May 13 2006, 05:03 PM) [snapback]254931[/snapback]</div>

18. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've PM'd you her info. She is interested in testing.

I'm also available for more 2005 testing. Anything to speed the development progress.

19. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ May 13 2006, 08:03 PM) [snapback]254931[/snapback]</div>
    I knew something was going to delay my audio upgrade again. :angry: ;)

As for questions, what made them go back to the drawing board? I thought the older product was supposed to be working, just not as nicely as some would want...

20. falcinator

falcinator New Member

Yeah I was kind of wondering what the planned updates will be, when they're expected to have them ready and if the sell price will still be the same. Also, will the dock they'll be selling be specific to this device or add any features exclusive to this unit?