1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod MFD Integration Unit Group Buy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Apr 24, 2006.

1. sariantekara

sariantekara New Member

ok ive gotta ask screw why its being postponed i would like to know what hardware their hooking up and the software teir using to read out the code, sorry its like a fetish theirs nothing like tearing apart a good peice of hardware and reading its function so if you can let me know i still drive my obsolete 01 so i wanna play with its innards its warranty is all but mangled,chewed and spit put anyway. so any info would be great give my wife someting else to get mad at me for to

2. dgstan

dgstan Member

Since we're not really getting a whole lot of information on these units and the picture is still a little hazy as to what's going on, I went ahead and called Dension and was able to speak with nice woman there by the name of Jessie.

She said they are hoping to be able to ship the units out to the beta-testers this coming Monday (5/22). She didn't make any promises, but said they are "really close" to having it done. As Vagabond said, they've been working feverishly on getting it working on an '06 and still need to get a car in there to test on.

Jessie also said she was planning on sending all the beta-testers an email with status.

And Vagabond - those are some sweet rims. What size and make are they?

DGStan

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(falcinator @ May 16 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]256500[/snapback]</div>

That's something I can't answer til the release.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sariantekara @ May 17 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]257081[/snapback]</div>

It's not postponed - since there is no release date yet. I don't know what programs they are using.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dgstan @ May 17 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]257206[/snapback]</div>

17" Katana's. Slightly too heavy. May get the stockers powercoated gun-metal and slap them back on for better gas milage.

There are no beta units yet. None, zip, zilch. Sorry.

I had a guy in my driveway trying out a build of the software just this morning.
    And I believe I have a person with an 06 who is willing to help them out, thank you all for the PM's and your time.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did all of the beta testers receive the email from Dension yesterday regarding their order?

Basically it said that due to various issues, the current ship date is Monday the 22nd. Hopefully that means that (barring any beta bugs), we'll be able to finalize this group buy by next weekend sometime. I'll let everyone know when the DICE ends up shipping to the beta testers.

5. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ May 18 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]257525[/snapback]</div>
    No, I didn't get an email. I even searched through my spam folders and couldn't find anything.

The good news is I found out I qualify for a really low-interest mortgage and there's a bunch of hot singles in my area that want to "hook up" with me. Imagine that!

6. silly

silly Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ May 18 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]257525[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I received an email from Jessie Wise Denison USA yesterday 5/17 7:28 PM EST. According to Jessie the beta units should be ready to ship on Monday 5/22.

7. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got the email. I was really hoping to be able to test it this weekend.

dgstan...too funny!

8. Hi-Bred

Hi-Bred New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Apr 24 2006, 06:10 AM) [snapback]244221[/snapback]</div>

I have a question - do you know if the DICE product displays the "Now Playing" information from the iPod if you're not listening to a preset playlist? I have the VAIS AIS-100i and it's a great (if expensive) product. You're limited to 12 playlists, which for me is fine even for long trips. When playing songs from a playlist, the Artist, Album and Track information is displayed on the video screen - cool B) . But lately I've discovered the joy of Shuffle - I have about 3,000 songs on my iPod and it's great to mix it up and hear songs I've forgotten I even had... The AIS-100i has a "Simple Mode" than you can select which allows controlling the iPod using the normal iPod controls, e.g. Shuffle. However, when doing this, no song information is shown on the video display (OK, I can look on the iPod - but then I have to find it, grab it, hold it so I can see the screen, all while trying to drive. Bad.). It would be really great to see the currently playing song info on the video screen.​

9. samkusnetz

samkusnetz New Member

i got an email yesterday as well, said the same thing as danny's. sadly, i leave for my cross country trip on monday so i'm going to be stuck using "only" the aux jack... how funny is that? that i'm settling for the aux jack? in my old car, i twas a cassette tape adaptor which sounded, well, like a crappy old cassette...

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hi-Bred @ May 18 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]257777[/snapback]</div>
    The DICE unit will display all song information on the MFD screen including title, artist and other information. Even if that song is not a part of a playlist. Plus, unlimited playlists with the DICE unit!

11. Hi-Bred

Hi-Bred New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ May 19 2006, 04:48 AM) [snapback]257961[/snapback]</div>
    I took a look at the DICE installation instructions from their web site. Based on that, it looks like I will have to select "Shuffle" using the iPod controls, since my '05 Prius does not have the CD changer installed (and therefore, no "random" button on the head unit). Correct?

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hi-Bred @ May 19 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]258295[/snapback]</div>

No, the DICE will make the Prius' radio think that it's a CD changer and you'll get the CD player display on screen.

13. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :D They installed a final working unit in my car today! I'm back at work, so I'll post pics and details late tonight. What danny said is correct, it will allow for unlimited playlists, total control from the headunit or from the ipod, and you see title, artist, etc on screen. I'm going to be testing it over the weekend and attempting to make it crash and if all goes well, they'll move with it on monday. Anyway, there's not much to see of the unit itself, it's just a black box that's sitting in my glove box, but I'll get lots of pics of the screen and document it's operation.

PS. It has an audio input as well, so if you have some other audio source (dvd player, your phone's music player, etc) you can plug that in and hear it over the car's system. keeeeeeen.

Also it's been verified today to work in a GS300, and the 400h.

PPS. I'm glad to have my car back. :)

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow! but what about video input ;) hehe

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, NOW I'm getting pics. I forgot my camera last night >.<

16. Hi-Bred

Hi-Bred New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ May 19 2006, 06:36 PM) [snapback]258393[/snapback]</div>
    COOOOOL!!! B)
    Me Want! :p

17. ChubbCo

ChubbCo New Member

It doesn't take much but I'm confused by the multiple references in multiple threads. What is VAIS and how does it differ from DICE?

Which is the group buy choice? DICE, right?

Which is the better choice for an 05 Prius with #6 package (I think it's #6: NAV system, in-dash 6-CD changer etc.)?

I signed up quite a while ago and check in occcasionally. How can I know when the buy is activated? What do I have to do to make the purchase real?

Thank you for your patience and for the volunteerism that makes this forum work so well.

Cotty

18. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChubbCo @ May 21 2006, 03:28 PM) [snapback]258941[/snapback]</div>
    From what I can see the VAIS does the same thing (and it looks like there's an adapter for a video input like a DVD player) as the DICE. The DICE, which is this group buy is for, is cheaper. Several owners have the VAIS and are happy with it, but there is no group buy at the moment.

I have the same model as you and I hope the DICE will work.

19. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 21 2006, 06:11 PM) [snapback]259002[/snapback]</div>

Considering that I have the same package as you and a test unit works...... I can tell you that it works.

20. Hi-Bred

Hi-Bred New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ May 21 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]259009[/snapback]</div>
    I have the VAIS unit and I'm happy with it, but I will switch to the DICE if it will do one thing: Shuffle (all songs on iPod) and display what is playing - without being limited to one playlist at a time.