1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod MFD Integration Unit Group Buy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Apr 24, 2006.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 23 2006, 01:48 AM) [snapback]259588[/snapback]</div>
    It's not like I thought they were affordable. The only reason I have an iPod mini is because I won it off TechTV 18 months ago.

Once I loaded it, I set it aside waiting for a cheap but wheel-controlled way to use it in the car. Maybe soon...

Oooooh, I guess I need to read how to reorganize the files for DICE use...

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ May 23 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]259882[/snapback]</div>

You don't really. I didn't do a thing to my pod and it worked out well.

3. falcinator

falcinator New Member

I thought the testing that was being done on your car was replacing the beta testers. How much longer is this going to take? i've had my dash apart for almost a month now......

4. priussafta

priussafta New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ May 22 2006, 07:00 AM) [snapback]259149[/snapback]</div>

Can't offer you that fancy red motocycle, but am happy to add my thanks for all your time and effort in testing out the DICE. Perhaps the reward is in enjoying the process and knowing you're helping yourself and others. (applause here)

If I would like to store the unit in the compartment between the front seats, and would like to fish the cable under the carpet to keep it out of sight and bring it up into the compartment through a drilled hole, is the cable long enough? The DICE brochure says it is 3', which sounds tight.

Danny:

Has the deadline for signing up for the group-buy been extended? What is the current deadline?

5. phillyj8

phillyj8 New Member

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I just looked back through this thread and didn't find any mention of it.

I just received my 2006 Package #8 a few days ago. How will this unit integrate with my car since I already have the Aux jack? Will that jack no longer be used? Or will I be able to plug into that to use this unit? Ideally, I'd just like to keep my iPod in that center console and continue using that jack, but with the added control that the DICE gives me.

Are there others out there that are adding this DICE unit to the same model as me? Or is it not meant for cars that already have the Aux jack?

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've gone ahead and extended the RSVP system for awhile longer, so anyone should be able to continue signing up for it.

Philip - basically the DICE unit will give you 2 AUX inputs plus the iPod controls. You won't be able to just plug it in to the current AUX Input built into the 06 and have it control the iPod, but you can route the cables however you want (I'm not sure it will reach into the center arm rest or not).

7. Rickster

Rickster Junior Member

I'm guessing that since there's all this talk of only beta units going out this week here, the unit listed on the DICE online store (link) doesn't have an actual ship date? I think I'd prefer to wait until there's "real" availability before I make my contribution to Vanguard's red bike. :)

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(falcinator @ May 23 2006, 06:25 PM) [snapback]260042[/snapback]</div>

The way I see it is as this: They test it on mine, make sure it works, right. Then they send it to folks to make absolutely sure, and to see if anyone can point out an error that I may have missed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(saftaleah @ May 23 2006, 07:42 PM) [snapback]260075[/snapback]</div>

The cable sitting in my compartment is long, but I'll ask what the final length will be.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rickster @ May 23 2006, 09:18 PM) [snapback]260143[/snapback]</div>

I believe that's the one for Toyota radio's that do not share the Prius's computer system or navi in general. Namely, the 400h, some Lexus' have the same system. The 4runner I'm using while I don't have my car has a unit in it for instance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Philip @ May 23 2006, 08:00 PM) [snapback]260078[/snapback]</div>

It won't affect your ability to use the aux jack. You will be able to use the one built into the DICE unit as well. I'm told there's a way of adjusting the bass/treble going to the stereo when you're using the jack as well.

And I was only kidding about the motorcycle. I'm afraid of italian bikes :eek:

9. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sign me up. When will this buy take place and has a price been nailed down yet?

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good news everyone! Beta units were shipped out today!

I'll have final pricing and dates on purchasing soon!

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, here we go. Latest pictures. Not my photos, but they were just taken. To put it simply, they have a working product, and everything looks great. Really great actually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the interface is done. Wee!

[​IMG]

So yea, that's about it..... hope you all enjoy it!

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, one more thing apparently. A quick, video demo.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/id3ivc

If anyone misses out, let me know and I'll rehost it.

And if I didn't mention it earlier I have a in-dash Sirius unit in my car and it works just fine alongside the DICE unit.

13. SparkyJ

SparkyJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Watching this video makes it look like you can't control the ipod from the Prius' touchscreen. Is that true?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ May 24 2006, 11:30 PM) [snapback]260798[/snapback]</div>

14. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SparkyJ @ May 24 2006, 11:47 PM) [snapback]260803[/snapback]</div>

You can. You have the use the steering wheel controls as well since the only buttons on the touchscreen are forward and reverse, not track selection. The video is demostrating that you can see what's playing on the screen.

In fact, you could leave the iPod in the glove compartment/wherever you want to put it and never take it out again.

15. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ May 25 2006, 01:59 AM) [snapback]260805[/snapback]</div>
    Are you saying that I can fast-forward and rewind using the touchscreen? I don't mean skip tracks, I mean if I want to rewind a few minutes back in a podcast, I'll be able to do this via the touchscreen?

This would be freakin' awesome.

As far as I know, Vais is not able to do this.

16. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dgstan @ May 25 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]260927[/snapback]</div>

Yes you can. ;)

17. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ May 24 2006, 11:50 PM) [snapback]260759[/snapback]</div>
    FYI - This email went out to the beta-testers this afternoon. If I get the unit tomorrow, I'll install it this weekend and beat on it. Hopefully, there'll be no issues.

Hello Beta Tester

The Toyota kits have finally shipped! Your kit should arrive to you by tomorrow (Friday) just in time for the weekend. I hope everyone is as excited about this as I am. J As soon as you have finished with the installs, please email me with your feedback. I will need to know the year of your Prius and what radio system you are currently using. Please let me know if you have ANY problems or questions about the functionality of the kit. I can’t wait to hear from you!

Best Regards

18. Hi-Bred

Hi-Bred New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dgstan @ May 25 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]260927[/snapback]</div>
    I have the Vais AIC-100i SoundLinQ, and it is able to do this. The rightmost buttons on the MFD are forward and reverse (the top one forwards and the bottom one reverses, a few seconds with each push). As far as I can tell, the Vais SoundLinQ and the DICE unit have nearly identical functionality, except that the DICE supposedly does not rely on playlists to operate. That's not a big deal for me, as I consider having playlists to be very helpful. But recently I've been using the "shuffle" feature almost exclusively - it's like having a radio station that only plays songs you like! (on the Vais, you do this by selecting a playlist that has all songs [or a subset] on the ipod, then select it and hit the RAND button)

If I were to buy a unit now, I would probably buy the DICE, since it's cheaper. The VAIS unit is $299, about twice the cost of the DICE for essentially the same functionality.

Another think I noticed from the pictures posted of the DICE - it appears to list the artist + album on the "Disc" display, and the song on the "Track" display. I like this better than the Vais - the Vais displays the name of the current playlist on the "Disc" display, and the "Track" display shows either the song, artitst or album (it toggles between these when you press the "DISC SCAN" button on the MFD). So there is no way to display the album, track and song all at once on the Vais. I know there are bigger problems in life, but with 3500 songs on my iPod, sometimes I need to be reminded what I'm listening to!

19. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(saftaleah @ May 23 2006, 07:42 PM) [snapback]260075[/snapback]</div>

So I just picked up my car and I pulled on the cable and I think it will make it to the center compartment ok. As for me it's still sticking out the glove compartment and sitting on my seat but once all is said and done I'll keep it in the spot under the radio. Maybe I'll finally move my Sirius receiever from it's ghetto rigged spot too.

Nah.

20. dgstan

dgstan Member

Regarding fast-forward and rewind:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hi-Bred @ May 25 2006, 07:40 PM) [snapback]261109[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry if I was mistaken. I don't have the VAIS unit, but I specifically asked Eugene about fast-forwarding and was told VAIS doesn't support it, only skipping.

However, we should probably note one difference that the new VAIS unit will have over DICE: The automatic pushing of the "I Agree" button.

That makes me think of another question for the sleep-deprived Vagabond. Presently, in my 2005 (with JBL/NAV), to see the title/artist info I have to push the "TITLE" button every time I start the car. It doesn't remember that the previous mode was the title/artist display. It defaults back to the disc display.

Will the DICE unit still have the same limitation?