1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IPod Touch + '05 Prius = Possible?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by allmyfriends77, Aug 4, 2008.

1. allmyfriends77

allmyfriends77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All this DICE and VAIS is a foreign language to me. I am a newbie at this stuff and it's hard to figure out what I need. So if someone can simplify instructions on how to install an IPod Touch using aux. cables to a factory Prius radio....I will seriously love you forever.

Ok, right now I have a radio tuner thing going with the IPod Touch, works pretty good but I am sick of trying to find a station that comes in clear. I'm just sick of the whole radio tuner thing period.

So, is it even possible to run an aux. cord from the IPod Touch to somewhere in the back of the factory installed stereo on a 2005 Prius? Anything to make this easy and not destroy my car in the process of doing this?

If this isn't going to be easy then I don't want to mess with my car. I wish they would of made these stereo's with aux. plugs in the front. Would make this whole process sooooo much easier. I liked the new Dodge Calibur that I had for a rental car the other day. You just plug it into the front of the stereo. If it were only that simple.

Thanks!!

2. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I put the dice silverline in mine. I have the 05 and the touch. works great for me.
    Steve

3. CCC712

CCC712 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You basically have 2 options, you can install an aux input converter or install an ipod interface. Both of these are devices that plug into an empty 12-pin CD changer port on the back of your prius touch screen (assuming you don't have a 6 disc CD Changer installed). The AUX converter turns the CD changer port into an Aux port just like the dodge caliber had. The music goes straight to your stereo without an FM transmitter, but you must control everything (change songs, playlists, etc) with your ipod touch. Here's some examples:
    P.I.E. TOY03-AUX 2003-2008 Non Satellite-ReadyToyota Auxiliary Input Converter
    Soundgate AUXTOY1V3 1998-2008 Toyota/Scion/ Acura /Honda /Isuzu Auxiliary Input Converter

The other option is an ipod interface, which also plugs into the CD changer port but instead of providing an aux port you get an ipod dock cable that plugs into the bottom of your ipod touch. This lets you charge your touch while music plays and control song/playlist from your prius touch screen or steering wheel controls (if you have them). They also display song/artist info on the touch screen. The downside is it locks out the ipod portion of your touch so you can't change song/playlist with your touch, instead you have to use the touch screen/steering wheel. DICE and VAIS are both ipod interfaces.

Unfortunatley both of these options require access to the back of your touch screen/radio. You can do it yourself (there are detailed picture instructions in another thread and there's a video on youtube) by taking out the glove box, poping off the passenger air vent, unscrewing a box of wires, and moving things around. You can also have it professionally installed by circuit city, best buy, or any local car audio store that has worked on priuses before. Having it installed professionally can run you anywhere from $75 to $300 depending on where you want the plug or aux port to be.

Hope that helps some.