1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod video player and 5 inch screen install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by RaZa, Mar 28, 2013.

1. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Warning this thread contains words and images that will make your car explode. Do not read or look at these images unless you want to achieve certain death. Thank you.

Just thought I'd share an install for a 5 inch screen for movies. I'd like to note that no I do not advocate any kind of video player that is in view of the driver in any vehicle (it's not even legal as far as I know). My car however is a 5 with ATP and I will only use the screen when on a highway with DRCC and LKA enabled. I know this is still not safe, but it's really more for listening to the movies than "watching"

Screen installed on top of steering wheel column:
    [​IMG]

iPod dock:
    [​IMG]

Genre list on the iPod:
    [​IMG]

Movie list:
    [​IMG]

Car is kept in aux mode to hear the audio:
    [​IMG]

To get this to work I had to use an apple video cable which is connected to the dock below my shifter. The video out ultimately goes to the screen and the audio out goes to the aux-in jack in the center arm rest console.

The reason for the external dock is unfortunately I cannot use the cars ipod usb connector in the arm rest. The audio and video are way out of sync when playing a video this way. So I had to use the aux-in line instead. So this also means I cannot use the nav screen to browse or play the movies. It has to be done on the ipod itself, so the dock is in a nice place that is easy to see and get to.

For music I do use the normal usb connector in the car. Although the browse feature in the nav is horrible, but the sound quality is much better so I put up with it. Plus when the car controls the player it can deal with pausing the music and picking up where it left off when you turn the car off.

2. typesomethingwitty

typesomethingwitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very neat. But boy, that would distract me! (I'm easily distracted.)

3. Armyguy03

Armyguy03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    WOW, is that legal?

4. AllanM

AllanM New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi RaZa,

Which mount are you using for the iPod?

Thanks,
    Allan

5. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's a modified DICE mount. The dice cradle is really nice, though wasn't cheap. It's being held in place by a modified garmin nuvi mount. It's pretty simple to use a garmin ball/socket mount, especially if you want something mounted on your dash.

Just take the socket part that would normally latch onto a garmin nuvi and cut off the part that wraps around to hold onto the garmin. you can now stick this onto any case or cradle you have for your device using 3m double sided mounting tape. For the "ball" part I highly recommend the "sandbag" style base which is perfect for the dash. For this particular application I used a suction-cup style ball connector, took off the suction cup, and stuck it to the center console using the same 3m tape.