1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ipod2Car works with Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by lagavulin, Aug 30, 2004.

1. KaniS

KaniS New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rydot\";p=\"43574)</div>
    I haven't gotten a good answer on that question. I was talking to someone about it on page 4 of this thread: http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t...t=1561&start=45

In summary, according to Toyota's description of the original 9 option packages, the cd changer in each option has the same description, so I don't think there are different changer versions. Neo will only work if you unplug the factory changer first. Other devices (like XM radio) may be able to plug into a port on the back of the factory changer, but that's speculation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rydot\";p=\"43574)</div>
    I think I remember someone said it would stop the ipod when you turned the car off, and so presumably also when you switched modes off of changer. Search through other threads to confirm that.

The ipod (at least my original 5gb model) CAN be turned off. You have to hold the play button for about 5 seconds and it turns off. Turning it off that way loses where you were in your song and resets your random order, so I always let it go into standby mode instead. I don't know about it turning off after 48 hours, since I've resumed play from the middle of a song after not touching it for over 48 hours.

2. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I'm already using the spare connector on the back of the head unit for the Toyota XM Radio kit. I assume then, that the XM and IPod connections are mutually exclusive and I can't have both? Any workarounds?

3. rydot

rydot New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KaniS\";p=\"43811)</div>
    According to what I've been able to gather here, there ARE two different changer models. One that is an external changer (that you can buy and add-on separately), and one that is PART OF the Prius radio head-unit, as is sold in the Option #9(2004)/Option #6(2005) package.

BUT. Just to be sure, I called the iPod2Car folks. I explained that I had an Option #6(2005) Prius, and that it had a radio with a built-in 6-disc changer (not an outboard changer).

The gentleman I spoke with said I was the first person to specifically ask him about this, and put me on hold while he consulted with his engineer. When he got back on the phone, he told me "You are the lucky one, it will work!"

He said that they do have a large number of Prius owners who've bought their product, and they have the radio with integrated 6-disc changer sitting in their lab. And it works!

So, with that resounding endorsement, I'm going to place my order and see what happens!

I'll let you know! *crosses fingers*

4. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Great to hear that it works with the in-dash 6-CD changer. Now how much is it and when is it available?

BTW, will this unit be transferable to other cars, or is it a custom box for every make of car?

[​IMG]

5. mboileau

mboileau New Member

It's available now. The cost is just around $200. It consists of 3 parts - the "black box", the iPod cable from the box ending in an iPod crade, and a vehicle-specific head unit cable to the black box. When you order the kit, you specify what type of vehicle it is, and they'll either add in the cable required, or tell you what part number you need from the manufacturer. in our case, they had the Toyotal cable already.

Just a few more days, and I'll be able to check this out for everyone....

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good, because the iPod mini arrived today, and now that I have it I want to get it in the car as fast and affordably as I can...

7. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    How are you guys going to mount the unit?

8. mboileau

mboileau New Member

The kit's cable ends with the iPod cradle which connects and simultaneously charges the unit. I haven't done a test fit yet, but I was considering routing the cable through the back or side of the compartment below the stereo with the translucent door. If the wheel controls work as claimed, I won't have to have constant access to the iPod's direct controls.

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My setup would be the same, but since my 'first' iPod is the mini, I need to be sure whatever I get will accept and hold a different iPod later. I can't tell for sure that there's a cradle provided that does what I need...

10. rydot

rydot New Member

From the pictures on their site, it appears that the iPod2Car just comes with a docking-connector cable (which is compatible with Gen3/4/miniPods) but no "cradle" per-se. Which is fine for me-- I, too, am planning to locate my iPod in the little tray-with-translucent-door below the head-unit.

Actually, that's where my iPod presently resides; I leave the door open any time I've got it connected. (via Cassette adapter. I am *so* looking forward to retiring THAT system!)

11. mboileau

mboileau New Member

You're correct. It's simply the iPod mating connector, not truly what they refer to as the cradle.

12. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yeah, but where will you put the big black box? And even if you mount the box in a hidden area, it will still look ugly having a cable from the box going to the iPod, unless you can somehow hide the cable too, with it terminating in the dash compartment or the globebox (with the iPod hidden away there).

It's nice to hear it charges the iPod, but I'm wondering if it's going to be worth $200...

13. knowledgeseeker

knowledgeseeker New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eug\";p=\"44912)</div>
    The black box can be anchored behind the dash; not sure of the best place, but that's solvable. Following the excellent instructions posted at
    http://www.chrisdragon.com/prius/
    one can remove the plastic box under the radio. It'd be easy to drill or nibble a hole in the box large enough for the connector (whichever end is smaller) to pass through. Then the last foot or so of the cable, the connector, and the iPod can all live in that box. It might be wise to cut some black paper and line the door with it, so that the contents of that bin can't be seen.

I'd be tempted to try to design some sort of removable holster for the iPod that held it in front of the open door of the bin, to the right of the shifter. Then it'd be easy to read what is playing. The holder and ipod could tuck back inside with the door closed when one parks.

14. mboileau

mboileau New Member

The kit arrived today. First, the black box is only a little larger than a pack of cigarettes, so securing it somewhere behind the dash isn't a problem. Secondly, the cable with the iPod connector has to be about 6 or 8 feet long, much longer than I thought it would be. With the ugly part of the vehicle harness nicely tucked away, I could run the iPod cable anywhere in the car. Now I'm thinking about running it around and up into the center armreset console. That would be a decent place to store the iPod when parked and I could prop it up in a drink cup holder if I needed access to it while driving. We'll see. It might not be until Saturday before I can work on this...

15. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Please post pix when you do it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mboileau\";p=\"45042)</div>

16. jjs357

jjs357 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I still have one basic apprehension about this ipod2car product and the package 9 (2004) 6 CD changer. It appears from this discussion that there is a port at the back of the head unit to plug the adaptor into. But if you do plug-in to this port, is the CD changer then not available? As far as I recall, there is no AUX function on the head unit. You can operate the radio (AM and FM), the CD changer, and the cassette tape player from the dash controls. If your ipod is not plugged into the adaptor, is there a circuit that detects this and allows CDs in the changer to be playable? If an ipod is plugged in, does the changer cease to be operational. Or is it permanently disabled -- until the black box is removed from the head unit port.

I guess we need testimony from someone who has done the installation. Seems like we are getting close.

17. rydot

rydot New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jjs357\";p=\"45261)</div>
    My kit arrived today, and I intend on installing it into my 2005 Package 6 (formerly "2004 Package 9") Prius. But I'm going out of town this weekend, so I won't be able to attack it until NEXT weekend. (sorry! but this is gonna drive ME crazy, too!)

Once I get around to tearing apart my dashboard, I'll post definitive information (though it's certainly possible that someone might beat me to it, in the meantime).

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The BC package comes with an in-dash 6 disc changer. This changer is totally seperate from the optional 6 disc changer that Toyota offers - this is the changer that would use that port in the back. If you have the in-dash 6 disc changer, you are not using that port in the back.

The ipod will work as well as the BC cd changer.

19. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Looks like I'm on the hook for the test run. I have the kit already and I'm planning on installing it tomorrow.

I think I put the concerns aside about the physical wiring itself. The stereo head unit has a free Aux input connector that is only used (already) if you have an "EXTERNAL" CD changer. The in-dash CD changer does NOT use this connector. If you have the XM module, this is connected to this spare Aux connector. Note that the connector itself is basically a power and communications port to a multi-drop bus. You can add Y-cables and daisy chain multiple modules up to the current capacity of the circuit. Each connected module, when powered on, uses the communications interface to tell the head unit that it is connected and what type of device it is. Each connected device will do this. As a result of this "discovery process", the software will add each identified device to the list of available devices that you can select using the Mode button. That's why when you connect the XM module, you instantly get selections for SAT1, SAT2, and SAT3. It's my understanding that adding the iPod will simply create yet another Mode selection.

As I explained before, the kit consists of the interface box (a little larger than a pack of cigarettes), a short (~6") cable that mates to another short (~6") Toyota proprietary Y-cable, which in turn connects to the head unit. The other side of the interface box has a long (~6') grey cable that terminates in an iPod connector. The added length allows you to route and mount the iPod virtually anywhere in the car.

I'll let you know the results over the weekend as soon as I confirm operation.

Mark

20. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looking forward to your report, Mark.