1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ipod2Car works with Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by lagavulin, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Driftwood05BC

Driftwood05BC New Member

Yeah, the problem with the FM-based transmitters is that if you are in an area with a saturated FM band (i.e. Silicon Valley, LA, etc.) the sound can go from decent to horrible in a very short time. The hard-wire with control from the steering wheel is definitely the way to go if we can make it work...

I don't have an XM radio, and I'm unlikely to *ever* have an XM radio, so I've ordered the iPod2Car and will give it a spin myself and will report back here!

Peter+

2. ifogel

ifogel New Member

I have a new 2004 Prius with a Package #1 (the original Toyota headunit). For me an Ipod connection was very important.

I have had the Ipod2Car installed by a professional shop this past week and everything works just as it should - steering wheel controls and CD Player. I also doubt I will be getting XM radio but on my level the product seems to work well.

By the way the shop took about 3 hours to install the Ipod2Car (they only charged me for 2 hours, they had never seen a Prius before).

Ira

3. Driftwood05BC

Driftwood05BC New Member

ifogel -- where are you located? I was thinking about trying to find a shop to do the install for me...

Peter+

4. ifogel

ifogel New Member

Peter,

I'm in New York - Manhattan. If you live in the area - I used Audio Designs on 10th Ave and 25th St.

Ira

5. Rickster

Rickster Junior Member

Questions:

- How does the iPod show up in the audio system display -- is it a "CD Changer" separate from the built-in "CD"?

- Does pressing the disc-change screen buttons or holding the ^/v buttons on the wheel do anything?

- Where do you prefer to put (or mount) the iPod?

6. ifogel

ifogel New Member

The Ipod shows in the touch screen as an additional CD changer. The steering wheel up/down button changes to next and previous as it would with a CD changer - same with the touch screen controls.

I mounted the Ipod on a "sticky pad" right in front of me on the dash - that way I did not have to put any obvious holes in the dash.

For the Ipod wire I asked for a hole into back of the plastic covered box below the headunit. When I am in the car I just open the black plastic door on the box, take out as much wire as I need and plug it into the Ipod. When I leave the car I just push the wire back into the box, close the door and the wire is hidden.

Ira

7. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Could you take & post some photos of how it looks mounted?

And also how the controls show up on the screen?

This sounds great! Thanks for sharing!

8. ifogel

ifogel New Member

I'll be away for the weekend but I'll try to remember to take thepictures and post them next week.

I just came in from a ride in the car and the Ipod sounded great in the car and was really easy to use with the steerting wheel controls.

Ira

9. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Somebody please tell it's working with the in-dash CD changer...

10. Driftwood05BC

Driftwood05BC New Member

I'm going to experiment with it (hopefully) this weekend, I have the factory in-dash CD changer, we'll see how it goes...

Mike -- I wonder if perhaps you accidentally flipped a DIP switch on the unit and that's causing your problems? They look very easy to accidentally flip during install.

Peter+

11. pdoyle

pdoyle New Member

Well here is some more case history with the iPod2Car. I have a 2004 Pkg #9 Prius. Like, I assume all pkg 9s, the 6-disc CD changer is in the head unit.

After disassembling the dash using the posted instructions (which are, in a word, AMAZING) I attached the Toyota Y-Cable (08695-00370) to the available port on the head unit and then the iPod2Car cable to the Y-Cable. I turned on the car and the iPod played! The volume (or course) and the up/down track controls on the steering wheel controlled the iPod. Cool! - I thought. The display panel was sitting on CD. There was no SAT in the available options. Then I tried switching back to CD to try planning a disc. All I could do was play the iPod. This was true if I cycled through the inputs using the Mode button or if I pressed the input selection buttons on the head unit. I then disconnected the iPod, turned the radio on/off and, although the FM/AM play the CD player will not play at all! Finally after many trials I realized that if I selected CD, disconnected the iPod, then cycled power TO THE CAR I can get the CD player working again. But, if I switch to radio then bacjk to CD - nada. :-(

My iPod2Car is firmware 2.6.14-M64 which seems to be the latest version. I will try to reach the iPod2Car "techie" mentioned earlier in this thread tomorrow to see what they have to say. Oh, BTW I checked the dip switch settings and they are all correct for a Toyota.

I'll let you all know what they say tomorrow. Wish me luck!
    Pat

12. timmyd

timmyd New Member

I just got through hooking up the IPodCar2 in my '05 Pkg #6 Prius w/ the in-dash CD changer and my results are almost the same as pdoyle. I say "almost," because he states that the only way for the CD changer to work again is to disconnect the iPod. I have been able to get the CD changer to work by powering the iPod off and then power the Prius off. Upon powering the Prius back up, the CD changer worked. So it is not great news, but at least the CD changer is not rendered completely useless. The good thing, I suppose, is that I have all my CD collection on my iPod and I rarely use my CD player. I would greatly prefer for it to be correct, so perhaps there will be a fix for this sometime soon. I do not think I am doing anything wrong, but I guess it is possible.

timmyd

:?

13. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I certainly hope the answer we get isn't "Well, why do you need a CD changer anymore?"

Thanks for going first, guys...

14. pdoyle

pdoyle New Member

Well, I spoke with someone from MTE (makers of iPod2Car) and the bottom line is - that's the way it goes folks! :-(
    He said that the problem is with the head-unit - not their device and that this is the case with most head-units. If you hook up something to the AUX port then the CD changer will no longer work.
    So now I am considering installing a switch to, in effect, remove the device. They told me that pin 1 on their Toyota cable is power. I am hoping that disconnecting power will be enough. If not, there are about 10 other wires that would surely do the trick. They did not know as they have never tried that.

I'll post later today with the outcome.

Pat

15. timmyd

timmyd New Member

pdoyle,

So does your changer work only if the iPod is disconnected AND the Prius is powered off? Because I am able to use the changer when I power the Prius on and off (which can be a royal pain), but at least I do not have to disconnect anything. Just curious if ours are working differently.

timmyd :|

16. pdoyle

pdoyle New Member

Timmy,
    No, our units are working the same. If the iPod is turned off and power is cycled on the car, the CD player will work. Of course, the CD player had to be selected before the power was cycled as trying to switch to CD from radio does not work. I am hoping though that if there is no power to the iPod2car then all will be normal.

Pat

17. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That doesn't make any sense since (I believe) the XM unit goes into the AUX port. No CD Changer problems there.

Sounds like a problem with their protocol.

18. pdoyle

pdoyle New Member

Danny, I agree with you completely. I was just relaying what they said.

Pat

19. timmyd

timmyd New Member

pdoyle,

I see. That makes sense. I'm pulling for you to find a workaround. But I agree with Danny, I think the problem lies within their unit.

Good Luck,

timmyd

20. rwithop

rwithop New Member

If you guys are convinced that the iPod2Car is a viable solution, can one of your, (Danny, pdoyle, others) post a little blurb to the Sticky Topic: "List of Hardware that Definitely works with the Prius"?

Just tell us what it is and where to get it and if possible a link to this discussion.

Thank you,

Ryan