1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iran Starts Gas Rationing with Just Two Hours Notice - Riots

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hb06, Jun 29, 2007.

1. wbuttler

wbuttler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Neicy @ Jun 30 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]470775[/snapback]</div>
    oh yes--i'd totally forgotten that---you never saw a locking
    gas cap until that situtation happened---excellent

I also remember a massive upswing in the number of
    bolt on---pour in---- traveling medicine show mileage items that
    would suddenly allow a porthole buick to get 50 mpg Ha!

thank you
    Froley

2. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Jun 30 2007, 08:23 PM) [snapback]470790[/snapback]</div>
    Ignorance is bliss.

Iran has been operating under partial embargo. How well do you think the US economy and government would operate under partial embargo, or say Iraqi style occupation ?

3. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Iranian leaders defend fuel rationing-7/01/07

"Iran is one of the world's biggest oil producers, but it doesn't have enough refineries, so it must import more than 50 percent of the gasoline its people use."

"The rationing is part of a government attempt to reduce the billions of dollars it spends each year to import fuel that is then sold to Iranian drivers at far less than cost, to keep prices low."

"Hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Saturday that reduced reliance on imported gasoline would make the country less vulnerable to international pressure, at a time when Iran is at odds with the West over its nuclear program."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070701/ap_on_...8.pklXdYGoE1vAI

4. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So you are saying that Iran has good government and good economics? Why are they not building facilities to make more gasoline from the oil they have instead of nuclear ambitions? I don't think the west would embargo that.. Yes ignorance is bliss !<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jul 1 2007, 09:12 AM) [snapback]471028[/snapback]</div>
    :mellow:

5. Spoid

Spoid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Jul 1 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]471144[/snapback]</div>

If they were smart, they'd work on a plan B, like the UAE have with Dubai. Oil will not generate revenue forever. The UAE has created quite an economy based on things other than oil. Countries who fail to do so will be destined to become poor once again.

6. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jun 29 2007, 09:08 AM) [snapback]470066[/snapback]</div>
    Massive budget deficits = Liberal Democrats? Hmm, seems like I've heard that argument before, but never seen any research... Time for a little good old fact checking. Let's see, where to get data? How about straight from the source?
    The white house's historical budget information.
    The Senate statistics on party control.
    The House of Reps statistics on party control.

So, the congress has the "power of the purse", let's start with them. The house is more unpredictable than the relatively conservative senate. They must me the culprits. Let's see what the debt looks like, charted against the House:
    [attachmentid=9384]

Wow, that's not really satisfying. I'm not sure exactly how that cooresponds - it looks like both parties have presided over distinctive decreases and increases. Hmm, maybe the Senate? Let's see:
    [attachmentid=9385]

Looks pretty similar - both parties up and down. That leaves the executive - not what I expect to matter since Congress passes the budget, but let's see:
    [attachmentid=9387]

Well, now that's interesting. At long last, a correlation. Proof, indeed that it's those damn liberal democrats in the white house who run up the debt.

Attached Files:

7. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Jul 1 2007, 04:25 PM) [snapback]471144[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe Iran is preparing for a post-oil economy and investing in nuclear energy. Have you ever even considered that the members of OPEC might know something about oil supply and production that is not public knowledge? After all, Saudi Arabia's production just peaked last year, a sure sign that "times are a changin".