1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iraq=Terry Schiavo...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Apr 18, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 19 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]426228[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6092601721.html

Most Iraqis Favor Immediate U.S. Pullout, Polls Show

Leaders' Views Out of Step With Public
    By Amit R. PaleyWashington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, September 27, 2006; Page A22

BAGHDAD, Sept. 26 -- A strong majority of Iraqis want U.S.-led military forces to immediately withdraw from the country, saying their swift departure would make Iraq more secure and decrease sectarian violence, according to new polls by the State Department and independent researchers.

In Baghdad, for example, nearly three-quarters of residents polled said they would feel safer if U.S. and other foreign forces left Iraq, with 65 percent of those asked favoring an immediate pullout, according to State Department polling results obtained by The Washington Post.
    [​IMG]

You'll be sending a letter to your congress men and women to initiate pull out this afternoon then Dr. B? And before you start screaming biased poll, this was conducted by the US State Dept. I eagerly await your reply.

2. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 19 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]426244[/snapback]</div>
    OWNED!

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 19 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]426228[/snapback]</div>

Depends on whom you ask; I'm sure we could both find a suitable answer. Honestly, my gut feeling is that "we're receiving a welcome in Iraq, but it's not a friendly welcome."

As far as "spewing stupidity," tell me again how wishing for a stronger, more moderate, less wasteful and less (is it even within the realm of the imagination?) materially oriented America is such a bad thing...?

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Apr 19 2007, 04:15 PM) [snapback]426250[/snapback]</div>
    Not quite. How many of those people are:

1. Literate
    2. Know enough about the situation, like why we're there and such, and
    3. Answering questions under duress for fear of getting killed

Of course, heck with those irrelevant details right?

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 19 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]426236[/snapback]</div>
    According to the typical neocon, it's he/she who can plaster the biggest flag or "support the troops" magnet supports the troops the most. Of course if you get a bigger car, you can post a bigger emblem. End of story. Gas consumption has nothing to do with anything.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So your response, Squid, is to say "these people don't know whats best for themselves, but we do"?

Seems i've heard that somewhere before... isn't that why we fought the British for our independence? They refused to let us have representation in government because they knew what was best...

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 19 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]426254[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think one has to be literate (however that's measured) to know if one is happy or not; I also don't think that one has to have an understanding of the finest nuances of the current conflict (if one did, this would sumarily rule out just about everyone in Washington) to form an opinon about its desirability. Escpecially if one is in the middle of said conflict,

As for your third point, who can say? There are opinions enough to support all of our positions, if we search dilligently. The poll was done by a Federal agency, however...surely you're not disputing the honesty of your own government, are you?

That's not patriotic!

Thing is, this knife cuts both ways; if data such as this is indeed corrupt, it doesn't support your assertions, either.

So, until we can get an accurate, statistically relevant poll of Iraqi sentiment, we should just keep fighting...?

Sorry, Mr. Squid...but you're in the deep fryer, garnished, and served steaming hot on this one. So, whose data *would* you trust? Oh, and I'm just *fine* with tentacles.

8. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry all the literates have become refugees in neighboring countries.

You mean when their relatives are blown up by the upteeth car bomb in their own neighborhood, they don't have a clue on what's going on? Maybe they could go to the local night school to become better informed or even better, maybe they could all move here to the US to become better informed.

The poll was conducted by the US State Dept. Are you implying that they were they putting undue duress on the those being polled to answer this way? Or when they were asking the questions they were under the watchful eyes of the terrorists? If the latter was the case, shouldn't we have been able to apprehend them then?

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 19 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]426236[/snapback]</div>

boy are we a little uppity arent we - who cares how much you earn - and why is that important in this setting?

do you ever fly the flag - not that i care?

who is more supportive of our troops - not even close - your neighbor. Your "support" of our troops involves a false sense of support - you want them to retreat, you want them to be defeated - is that support? You do not support their mission - how can you possibly support them and what they want to do, feel a sense of duty to do? You indirectly support the enemies that are actively trying to kill them by calling for a date of retreat, by calling for a defunding of the war, you belittle their commander in chief at every possible opportunity...

the word support and troops should never come from your way ever - in my opinion.

tell me - with all that extra income you have - how much of it have you given to organizations that support our troops?

10. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Apr 19 2007, 04:35 PM) [snapback]426264[/snapback]</div>
    Sort of, what I'm saying is this:

A stranger goes up to an Iraqi and asks him if he wants the U.S. to stay. What do you think he/she is going to say? Only the brave ones, or the ones who believe their families won't end up beheaded in a dumpster somewhere are going to answer truthfully.

If you were in their shoes, would YOU risk your life, and that of your family, by answering "no", and praying who you are or what you said doesn't get back to some militia/gangsters/etc.?

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 19 2007, 04:18 PM) [snapback]426253[/snapback]</div>
    worry about yourself - do not pretend your ideals are nirvana for all - they are not. I do not wish to impose my beliefs on you - you should do the same for the other 300,000,000 of us.

i still wait for a proper response. see what the iraqi's themselves want and feel. your opinions as to the war on terror and the war in iraq especially do NOT count in my opinion at this point. i will listen to the Iraqi's whose lives are involved with this conflict. if the iraqi's want us out - then i support leaving.

12. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 19 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]426268[/snapback]</div>
    Were the poll results not a proper response?

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 19 2007, 04:10 PM) [snapback]426244[/snapback]</div>
    try this one - a little more recent than yours

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle1530762.ece

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 19 2007, 03:36 PM) [snapback]426265[/snapback]</div>
    Oh please, you're making so many assumptions here that it's almost funny (almost). And, you'd be well served not to repeat them to me in person..."indirectly supporting the enemy?" Coming from someone more credible than yourself, I might become offended!

The Iraq 'Mission?' Wasn't that declared accomplished by our President a few years ago?

Sorry, Doctor, I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you about how much I contribute, or to whom. Honestly, it's really none of your business.

I knew the bit about the income would get you going, though! [teehee] Don't worry, I'm sure I don't earn or contribute *nearly* what you do, sir.

-------

The flag? I flew it for weeks after 9/11, and fly it for major holidays. As a matter of fact, my flag itself is very dear to me; it was once my parents', and my Dad bought it in 1976 to commemorate the Bicentennial (the same year he painted a huge American flag on our garage door). I've had it ever since then and, even when I without a real home and was sleeping in my car (an American car, by the way) I kept this flag with me.

You asked.

15. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 19 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]426272[/snapback]</div>
    Why did 2 million people flee then? To run away from a better life. Makes sense.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 19 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]426273[/snapback]</div>
    no pissing match necessary - anything amount is greater than $0 :(
    i do not measure my success of failure based on my W2's.
    nice thing about the flag though - very nice. there is hope.

17. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 19 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]426281[/snapback]</div>
    For whom...you? Absolutely. I'm a big fan of charity cases!

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 19 2007, 05:05 PM) [snapback]426282[/snapback]</div>
    actually charity you have given to support our troops - you know the ones you support by calling for a withdrawl date, by calling for a defunding of the war to leave them without the tools they need to stay ALIVE, you know their enemies who you want to grant US Constitutional rights - and whom you want released from GITMO who have returned to the battle to try to kill them AGAIN.... those troops - the ones with the American flag on their uniform - the uniform that probably makes you sick inside, gives you waves of nausea...

I wonder how much you have given to charities or organizations that support our (and i use that word very very looooooosely) troops? I could not care less - honestly -its your money - but i guess you spent more on supporting those groups who allied against our troops than those that support them.

good night

19. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 19 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]426272[/snapback]</div>
    your own article, your own poll says:
    Seems to me thats supporting our withdrawal, huh?

20. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 19 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]426236[/snapback]</div>
    See.. you hate America. You hate that we have the choice to buy gas guzzlers. You hate that Americans fly the flag in support of our troops and our country.

You blame everything on America.. hell.. in another thread you blamed what that crazy kid did on "American violence". I was so flabbergasted by that you earned a spot on my liberal quote list.

.. and who cares how much money you make?