1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iraqies Revolt Against Al Qaeda - Ask for Help!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bigmahma, May 31, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jun 1 2007, 02:08 PM) [snapback]453364[/snapback]</div>
    Once we help them create a country that shares the same principles we do like we did in German and Japan and elsewhere - then the capability of bad people with bad concepts will have severe difficulty rising up to positions of significant pressure. Germany still has skin heads but they are unlikely to gain power. The bad guys are finding it more and more difficult to live there - Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan - are all standing up to them. The bad guys are having trouble finding financing. The bad guys have fewer and fewer places to sleep safely at night, to train, to acquire capabilities to hurt us. They have only one real base as of now - Iran.

If these reports are true and continue - my hope - is that the dems/ libs - support keeping our troops where our enemies are - anything less than that i will question them about their sincerity about being pro-Democracy/pro-American security....

I do feel at times that some people - dems and repubs and others threaten my safety and my childrens and grandchilds safety and security. my ruler on this issue centers around those that would allow iran to develop nuclear weapons - those that would not stand behind this president or the next one who decides they have to act to stop them from getting nukes.

2. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nicely written. Thank you.
    I've heard that the majority of Iranians are actually anti-ahmadajeen (or whatever the nutcases name is) and are upset that he focuses all efforts towards the military, while the populace goes further into poverty. He was shouted down by an entire college campus.

Do you think that is true or not? If it is, how can you bring about change without turning those people against us too? Simply bombing them is probably going to turn the rest of them against us. How do we get the majority into power in Iran and the nutcases out without having a second larger Iraq situation?

3. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jun 1 2007, 02:19 PM) [snapback]453425[/snapback]</div>
    I say we pull out all of our troops, apologize and focus on fixing our problems in the US, such as poverty, drugs, etc. etc. etc.

Yeah, like that would happen/work. At least I can dream:)

4. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Drugs?
    There's a useless war if I ever saw one.
    It's like catching rainwater with a net and it's heavily funded by DRUG and alcohol companies. But that's a whole other topic for another time.

5. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jun 1 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]453435[/snapback]</div>
    True, true that is. You should see the movie "Alpha Dog". It's heartbreaking.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 1 2007, 11:26 AM) [snapback]453290[/snapback]</div>
    So the neocon party line now is that this was all a plan? Go into Iraq despite the lack of imminent threats. Destabilize the tenuous relationships of the 3 major religious sects to such a point where they become vulnerable to insurgent attack and control. Then, when some of those insurgents are Al Quaida we take 'em out! Brilliant!

I know such thoughts make you sleep better at night, but they're simply fantasies. We don't want to lose anything, but we also didn't want to enter Iraq based upon lies and false information when they posed no threat and while greater threats continued unabated elsewhere....and still do. The fight should be focused at the point of most effectiveness...Iraq is not that place.

7. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 1 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]453475[/snapback]</div>
    Let's not forget the >3500 US dead , >25,000 US casualties, and an estimated 655,000 dead Iraqi's part of that plan.

8. Army5339

Army5339 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Jun 1 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]453249[/snapback]</div>
    Sure, if you want to ask me some questions, I guess I can do my best. I was over there in 2003. When were you?

9. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Jun 1 2007, 05:22 PM) [snapback]453539[/snapback]</div>
    More people are killed in Chicago and New York Every YEAR..

Nevermind over a 5 year WAR.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigmahma @ Jun 1 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]453675[/snapback]</div>
    a
    Is it fun just making crap up when you don't have facts?

New York City police investigated 586 murders from 1 January until 13 December, a staggering drop of nearly 20 per cent from the same period in 1997.
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_19981231/ai_n14197164

11. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Army5339 @ Jun 1 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]453660[/snapback]</div>
    Never stated I was. But I have a family member who has been deployed more than once.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 1 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]453677[/snapback]</div>
    It appears more pathological than a mere hobby...

12. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 1 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]453677[/snapback]</div>

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/nycrime.htm

2006 - 860 *estimate*
    2005 - 874
    2004 - 889
    2003 - 934
    2002 - 909
    2001 - 960

5426 people killed in ONE AMERICAN CITY

vs 3000 people killed in A MAJOR WAR ZONE - same perod of time

Lets look at Car accidents 40k per year.

More people are killed by Car accidents in one MONTH than in 6 years IN A FREAKING WAR.

Lets ban cars.

The auto industry is MAKING MONEY OFF OUR BLOOD!!!!!!

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigmahma @ Jun 1 2007, 08:24 PM) [snapback]453690[/snapback]</div>
    Your quote was:
    Also, if you wish to go on a "per x people"....
    There are what, 150k soldiers in Iraq? So around what 800 deaths/year or roughly 500 deaths/year/100k

In NYC in 2005 there were 4.5/100k population
    http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/nycrime.htm

You're continuously distorting data to try to make a case....I think you're going to have a hard time with that tactic.

14. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 1 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]453385[/snapback]</div>
    This is a ridiculous statement.The Sunni insurgents are being financed and are coming from Saudi Arabia.
    You really cant control your zeal to engage Iran.With similar lies that your neocon heros used to bring us to war in Iraq.
    You want to preemptively bomb Iran to protect Israel.
    I think its best to be honest about motives.Its certainly more honorable.

15. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Jun 1 2007, 08:25 AM) [snapback]453235[/snapback]</div>
    The polling showed that the Iraqis in certain areas wanted us there, but as time has gone on, they are tiring of war. Now some want us there to protect them, but as soon as they feel protected, they will want us to leave. it is their country, and we would feel the same way if our country was war torn.

It would be nice to stabilize the country and see if the three federal areas can agree on how to split the oil revenue, and some type of self-determination and self rule for the three main factions can be hammered out. The real time to do that was in the first months of the occupation, but we bungled the war from the point just after we captured Baghdad on to just recently. Now that we have publicly told the world that September is our "make or break" month, we have in effect scheduled our defeat to backward thinking thugs who belong in the 13th century. History will not look kindly on either the Administration, or the war's critics, who negotiated themselves into a virtual declaration of surrender.

16. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 1 2007, 10:02 PM) [snapback]453709[/snapback]</div>
    Yah - I also forgot the 3000 people MURDERED in september.

Shove that statistic somewhere.

WE ARE AT WAR - GET OVER IT

17. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigmahma @ Jun 2 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]453844[/snapback]</div>
    Au contraire, that's not a statistic - that's a meaningless number pulled out of some orifice. But I agree with you, it should be shoved somewhere - perhaps back where it came from?

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigmahma @ Jun 2 2007, 07:37 AM) [snapback]453844[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, naked hostility completely unrelated to the point.
    Yes we are at war. No, I won't "get over it" and passively accept a roll in supporting something that is, IMO, very wrong. You can be a sheep if you like and accept carte blanc what drivel you're being fed...your choice.

19. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 2 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]453862[/snapback]</div>

I've analyzed the consequences.

I'd rather fight and blow up their country - than fight here and blow up ours.

There are two teams - visitor and home - if we aren't playing in one stadium - we are playing in another.

Iraqi Life < American Life

Iraqi Children < American Children

You agree with me on this concept - i'm sure - you'd rather see some 3rd world Iraqi with no education living in a hovel with a life expectancy of 30 years die before your wife (or gay partner) die.

What you refuse to believe is that there are casualties to any war..

AND WE ARE AT WAR - because guess what - THEY ARE AT WAR WITH US...

Luv

BigMahma

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigmahma @ Jun 2 2007, 09:13 AM) [snapback]453863[/snapback]</div>
    I wish the formula were so simple...I truely do. If it were I'd be in full support. I'm not "anti-war" for the sake of being anti-war...if it's justified, has clear objectives and the war will achive those objectives then my country has my full support in that endeavor. Unfortunately that's sometimes necessary.

Unfortunately the current war doesn't satisfy any of those points.
    It's not justified b/c there was no imminent threat of terrorism or direct attack from Iraq...they were a much lesser threat than several other countries in the world. Also the reasons we went in were not, IMO, adequate justification for the scope and scale of our invasion.

There were not and still are not clear objectives. Yea we wanted Saddaam out of power... bad man, killed many, yes, he's a bad guy. But the consequence has been destablization of the region that he had managed to keep stable. Thus permitting Al Quaida in, the insurgency in (from many countries, not just Iran Dr. Berman--Syria is clearly a key player, but since we don't know how to stop them we obviously don't know where they're coming from).

The glaring error in your "logic" is that Al Quaida and similar terrorist movements are not a country. They're not isolated to a place. They're ubiquitous, wide-spread around the globe. They communicate via the internet. They're in our country now...don't fool yourself into thinking they're not. The war in Iraq can't possibly prevent another 9/11...and thinking it could makes us MORE vulnerable, not less. While they are certainly expending a lot of money on the effort in Iraq, I suspect it represents only a small fraction of the money they have available to them...from the Saudis, Iran, Syria, and probably many sources we've yet to discover. Most of the fighters in Iraq are Iraqi recruits...so we're making no impact in the base numbers of Al Quaida.

Your blind anger at the threat of terrorism is misdirected...at me apparently. I'm a good guy. I'm a flag waving, gun owning, constitution believing American. But I'm not stupid. I won't buy into the impossible Bushite logic of "fight 'em there so we don't have to fight 'em here"...it make no sense. If they chose to fight us here they would need only leave Iraq and fight here...they have other objectives there unrelated to future terror attacks on our homeland.