1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IRC 30D phase-out

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Gokhan, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Simply Google Toyota 202x Qx sales Inside EVs, as I compiled them from multiple articles for different years and quarters.

Marine Ray and loaflord like this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here is the latest data.

US: Toyota sold over 52,000 plug-in cars in 2021—Inside EVs

Q2 2020 cumulative: 127,593

Q3 2020: ~ 4,962
    Q4 2020: ~ 7,000 (estimated)
    Q1 2021: 9,791
    Q2 2021: 18,738
    Q3 2021: 13,844
    Q4 2021: 10,376

Q4 2021 cumulative: ~ 192,304

So, if there were no chip shortage, IRS 30D would have started phasing out on October 1, 2021 (after Q3 2021) for Toyota. It will now start on April 1, 2022 (after Q1 2022).

This will what happen if you buy a Prius Prime on or after April 1, 2022 (after Q1 2022):

The new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit ($2,251 for Prius Prime) if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period (April 1, 2022–September 30, 2022) and 25 percent of the credit ($1,126 for Prius Prime) if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period (October 1, 2022–March 31, 2023). Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period (on or after April 1, 2023).

The new EV bill that was killed by Manchin did not have a credit for plug-ins with over 2.5-gallon gasoline tanks.

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, the bargain PP sales are now over. With a smallish $1500 rebate now and soon to be reduced tax credit or later no tax credit, I predict the PP sales will be lower this year, even if the chip shortage is over and production can pick up.

Too bad this phase-out is happening just when Toyota is releasing its very first BEV, bZ4X. That's why I put a reservation for a 2023 Subaru Solterra. I know Subie has plenty of room for the quota. I can get an AWD version of the bZ4X twin sister for $7500 less if I am lucky.

Gokhan likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you misread. There is one fiscal quarter delay, caused by the speed of bureaucracy. If the cap is reached during Q1, then the phase-out doesn't begin until the start of Q3, i.e. July 1.

That is how the Tesla and GM phaseouts worked. The IRS needs to receive the final official end-of-quarter sales figures, then issue the proper advance legal notice that the phaseout begins at some future date. Bureaucracy simply cannot do this overnight.

Gokhan likes this.
  5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Interesting. Do you have a reference for this?

6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    fuzzy1 likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hadn't looked at that particular page. But here are some other relevant IRS pages that have been posted to previous threads --

Eligible vehicles and their credits:
    IRC 30D New Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service

Tesla phase-out notice:
    First plug-in electric vehicle manufacturer crosses 200,000 sold threshold;Tax credit for eligible consumers begins phase down on Jan. 1 | Internal Revenue Service

GM phase-out notice:
    Plug-in electric vehicle manufacturer crosses 200,000 sold threshold; tax credit for eligible consumers begins phase down on April 1 | Internal Revenue Service

Tesla hit the cap during Q3 of 2018, phase-out began January 1, 2019. GM hit the cap during Q4 2018, phase-out began April 1, 2019.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It was actually right in the paragraph you quoted.

"...beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000..."

I think the BBB cut out the Prius Prime because its battery was too small, before the gas tank limit was added.

Gokhan likes this.
  9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So, how much are you paying? Above MSRP? Do you think this will be a good deal if the supply-chain problems go away next year and used-car and new-car prices plunge?

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The price has not been announced yet. Toyota's bZ4X base model (non-AWD) is estimated to be starting around $40K, but the Subaru trim I reserved is more like $45K MSRP or higher. If the sale price is higher than MSRP, I will not buy. It's that simple. If that happens, then I will just get a LEAF (provided Nissan still qualifies for the full credit). Yeah, it probably will not be as lucrative as buying a PP $10-12K off MSRP, but $7500 off MSRP on a $30K BEV is a good enough deal. I am sure I can keep the car for a few years and sell it for not too much loss. No, I am not expecting any capital gain like on a PP.

#30 Salamander_King, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    Gokhan likes this.
  11. Ovation

Ovation Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    After reading the last dozen or so posts, I’m very happy I live in Quebec. EVERYONE gets the full rebate (13,000$ for BEV, 6500$ for PHEV) deducted at point of sale. No arcane calculations or need to worry about tax liabilities, etc. Easy peasy.

There are a few rules about price range, but the effect of those is to diminish the subsidizing of luxury vehicle purchases by people who don’t need a subsidy.

vvillovv likes this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... and if prices don't plunge?

13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    ??

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ A year ago, we thought the supply chain problems would be over by now.

But they aren't. And inflation is spiking. It is quite possible that instead of prices ever falling, inflation could push the standard prices up to what people are paying now.

My crystal ball is always very cloudy, so I'm not betting for or against any particular economic path. Be ready for multiple scenarios.

15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Supply-chain issues will probably go on for another year. Inflation? No one knows, but let's hope not for long for all of ours sake. For this transaction, inflation is less of a concern because @Salamander_King likes to trade them in every year or so, and the trade-in and new car would both be subjected to it.

16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I first bought the 2015 Prius Two, my first-ever daily driver purchased new, I never thought of trading in that car after a few years to finance my next new car purchase. A long-held belief of owning a car was that a new car value always depreciates with time mostly in the first few years. That was the reason, I have almost always purchased a used car and leased a new car, prior to 2015. And if purchased, I tried to hold onto the car as long as I can until the wheels fell off. Unfortunately, in our climate, that does not take a long time. In our region, with road salt eating up the vital parts of the car, a life span of a car is about 10 years on average, 15 years top, no matter how expensive or cheap the car initially was. Any car after 7 years old is subject to rust-related repair expenses that will bring the operation cost higher toward the end of the car's lifespan.

So, I have set the financial goals for my daily driver. The goals are that the total cost of acquiring the car to be around $20K max and the final true cost of ownership of the car to be less than $300/mo when the car is decommissioned (either sold or demolished). ~$20K budget to purchase a car is easy to stick with, but finding a car at that price to end up less than $300/mo true operating cost turned out to be rather difficult. This $300/mo includes not only amortized cost of the car purchased (or leased if that is the case), but also includes everything else spent for the car, including but not limited to fuel cost, maintenance and repair, insurance, ongoing tax and fees, and any accessories or car care goods purchased.

The first car I started this cost analysis was the 2008 HCH purchased used (3 years old) and driven for ~7 years till totaled, although the predecessor to HCH, 1998 Civic gasser also purchased used (3 years old) may already have achieved the goals. I did not keep track of the detailed cost of ownership for my cars prior to HCH. After HCH, I switched my car 4 times. Here is the comparison of all 5 including HCH for the cost analyses. For the current 2021 PP Ltd, I used the number if I sold the car right now. I also included our current midsize SUV Nissan Pathfinder Hybrid purchased used 5 years old, with an assumption if it is sold now.

As you can see, the shorter I keep the car, the better financially. That is certainly the case for all PPs for this time span. I don't think this trend will continue forever for my future daily drivers, but at least for now, I feel comfortable selling my car in a very short term as long as incentives and tax credit on a new car purchase continue to offset the depreciation.

upload_2022-2-16_8-4-21.png

#36 Salamander_King, Feb 16, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    Gokhan likes this.
  17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think Prius Prime was an exception. Priuses don't depreciate, plug-in or not. I also expect BEVs to have a lot more instant depreciation (when you drive them off the dealer's lot) as opposed to PHEVs. I quickly looked at Chevy Bolt, and it appears to depreciate $13,000 in a year. Your Subaru may be worth only $20,000 in a year.

I am at this very moment working on my tax return, and now, I wish I traded in mine for a 2022 at the end of the year for the $4,502 tax credit plus the sales-tax deduction, which is another $1,000 or so. :(

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it is generally believed that Toyota cars hold value over other makes of cars. But just comparing the actual price I got on my Prius and PP's, it is clear that they too depreciate, sometimes a lot.

2015 Prius Two MSRP was $25,250... after only 30mo, it traded in at $10,000. ~60% depreciation.
    2017 PP Premium MSRP was $30,133... after only 31mo, it traded in at $16,500. ~45% depreciation
    2020 PP LE MSRP was $28,814... after only 10mo, it was sold at $22,415. ~22% depreciation.
    The only exception is for 2021 PP Ltd with an MSRP of $35,254... in this crazy seller's market, it got an offer of $32,000 or only ~9% depreciation in 7mo.

Yes, I expect any BEV to depreciate quicker than PP or any other current Toyota car. That is the nature of rapidly developing technology. No one would pay close to the full initial price for old technology. A 3-year-old laptop, even though it was once cutting edge and still is a perfectly capable machine, will only sell at a fraction of the initial price. I think the same thing is going to happen to BEVs as the EV becomes more and more technologically advanced and rapidly improving year after year. That's fine. If the Subaru BEV which is purchased at $45K - $9.5K (I am including my state incentive) lose $10K in value for the first year. I can still sell it for $35K... making it possible for me, an ordinally true middle-income not rich nor privileged with a $20K budget for a car to enjoy the newest technology in the automobile industry for a mere $500/year. Your prediction of depreciation of $25K value in the first year (that's more than 50% depreciation in 12mo) is unlikely. Even the worst depreciation car which happens to be LEAF takes 5 years to depreciate 65% of its value. Although, I am not sure what it depreciate in the first year.

BTW, Subaru Solterra, Ford Mach-E, Kia EV6 are my "Dream Cars" all priced at ~$45K or higher (~$35K purchase price after incentives and tax credit) which I think is a way too expensive daily drive for me, and honestly a luxury. If any mark-up or other factor makes them even more expensive, then I will likely go with a LEAF SV with 150 miles EV range. This will likely cost about $20K to purchase and have just good enough features I want. In addition, I know for sure that switching to a BEV from PP is not going to save me any money in terms of operational cost and the overall true cost of ownership. The PP is by far the most economical daily drive I have ever owned and no matter how efficient BEVs are, it will not be cheaper than PP to own and operate.

So, you may ask, why switch? If I go forward with purchasing a BEV, I am not doing it to save money. I just want a new affordable BEV to experiment with. PP has served my daily driving tasks perfectly, but honestly, I am getting bored with it.

https://www.wane.com/news/the-best-and-worst-cars-for-depreciation/
    upload_2022-2-16_1-45-13.png

#38 Salamander_King, Feb 16, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    Gokhan likes this.
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Subsidies play a part in depreciation. New, the Leaf was already around $10k less than MSRP because of them. Then Nissan was regularly discounting on top of that. So what people were paying for a new car was already substantially reduced.

as for the i3, I see there are three ICE BMWs on that list. It starts off with high depreciation from the brand.

20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, that's exactly the point of the discussion. As I said, as long as full tax credit and incentives are available to purchase a new BEV, I feel comfortable selling my car in the very short term to recoup most of the depreciation even if not gaining a profit as I did with a PP.