1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IRC 30D phase-out

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Gokhan, Dec 22, 2021.

1. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    Yes, degradation is much better for the 40 kWh (2018+) and 62 kWh (2019+) models. If the >100,000 made, <5 have reported losing more than 15% of battery capacity. And of the ones reported, they trashed the battery, by doing multiple DC charges daily.

The newer Leafs do not have a fan. I think the chemistry is a little different and since the capacity is bigger, there is less charging cycles. The is a van that has the fan, but I don't think it's available in the US. They should have included a fan on the Gen 2 Leaf since it's hard to DC charge more than twice in a row. The Leaf is at best a commuting vehicle with daily driving <300-400 miles.

#61 triggerhappy007, Feb 20, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You mean more than twice in a row? What happens? Does the charging time increase?

3. triggerhappy007

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    Yes. Yeah, charging time will increase dramatically.

Gokhan likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Time increases as the battery is usually at a higher temperature when it goes for the second charge.

5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This could have nothing to do with battery cooling. Rapid-charging causes lithium-metal plating on the anode, which degrades the battery, and perhaps the charging computer is limiting how often you can rapid-charge so that some of the lithium metal could migrate back into the cathode. The current lithium-ion technology isn't really suited for rapid-charging, but the manufacturers allow it anyway to be the icing on the cake.

6. triggerhappy007

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    Yes, that's true but Nissan sets a limit on the battery temperature and will limit the charging rate. I can tell with Leafspy and the limit is around 100F.

Gokhan likes this.
  7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ironically, that is well below the usual "fast rate" warm-up temperature, which is 50°C (122°F). But then again, Leaf doesn't have any active cooling and CHAdeMO for it tops out at 70 kW. So, there's nothing really relevant to "rapid charging" anymore with regard to Leaf. Western industry (Europe & North America) has moved the bar up to 150 kW for affordable vehicle DC targets with even faster as an infrastructure goal.

Priority is to first make DC fast-charging work as a standard. Currently... again, ironic... absence of battery-warming slows charging rather profoundly. Owners are discovering that the hard way in the dead of winter. Worse, some of the chargers themselves don't operate when the temperature drops to about -20°C (-4°F). Complicating matters are challenges still of how to payment/connection is made and how much the charging-session will cost.

Needless to say, we are still very much in the early-adopter stage with regard to fast charging.

8. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    QuantumScape published some data on the Panasonic 2170 cell, and it actually lasts longer when rapid-charged at 45 °C (113 °F) as opposed to 25 C (77 °F). The 100 °F (37.8 C) temperature limit could be more for safety reasons so that likelihood of a thermal event is reduced.

https://www.quantumscape.com/resources/blog/white-paper-a-deep-dive-into-quantumscapes-fast-charging-performance/

john1701a likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Which is probably why Teslas with the2170 cells will warm up the pack for fast charging.

Air only moves over the Leaf battery by convection when the car is parked. Letting the heat radiate off is literally the only way the battery can cool. Limiting the charge rate at 100F is probably to keep the temperature from overshooting that ideal temperature into the danger zone. Of course, we are assuming Nissan's cells behave the same when they are actually a different chemistry. Ironically, a proper thermal management system and more 'mundane' chemistry is probably cheaper than the pack the Leaf has now.

10. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Too bad, so sad.

The original bill was going to give a buyer the old credit until the end of 2022. Why the change?

13. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    In reading the bill. (I did not read the whole 730 pages). It appears that the country of final assembly restriction goes into effect when the bill is signed into law. All other provisions go into effect January 1, 2023. There is an exemption clause if you have a signed purchase contract prior to the bill being signed into law. I am not a lawyer but it seems pretty straight forward in the bill.

Gokhan and Trollbait like this.
  14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I must have conflated the other provisions starting with the new year to all the changes versus the original credit system, as there is language in the bill concerning how that credit is handled for 2022.

So, any plug in bought now has to be assembled in North America, and the tax credit amount is based on the previous law. There isn't a percent content limit, income limit, nor price one. Is that correct?

15. ct prius dedicated

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    So I spoke to my local chapter of CARA which interprets and gives directives to all the dealerships in my state....If you had a signed contract with deposit before BIDEN signed the new law you are grandfathered under the old law.....meaning 2250 tax credit if you take full ownership after Sep 30 of 4500 if by Sep 30. There is a question about the deposit....has to be nonrefundable. The documentation talks about 5% but according to CARA that is an example...not a requirement. They believe a $500 will suffice......

16. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That is my understanding for Tax year 2022. After December 31,2022 there are price caps and I did see a mention of income limits.