1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is 150K+ Mile 2010 Prius Still Worth It?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hunt251, Jun 13, 2017.

?
  1. Yes.

2. No.

3. I'll explain in the comments.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hunt251

hunt251 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  2. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dumb question but do you mean the car drains the battery when it's not moving but the accessories/ac are on? The battery gauge in the dash, is that for the 12V or the traction battery? I would assume it's the traction battery but why does the ICE kick on when you sit there too long with the stereo and a/c on if those are powered by the 12V?

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the gauge is for the hybrid battery, which charges the 12v. the engine charges the hybrid battery. so when you are sitting with the car in ready using accessories, all 3 come into play.

the maintainer is for when you're parked at home and the car is off. the car has systems operating that drain the 12v, most notably the sks key system.

#43 bisco, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  4. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the explanation! I was wondering why the heck the ICE turns on when battery gauge gets low if the hybrid batteries didn't power the accessories directly.

bisco likes this.
  5. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just to confirm, this is primarily for the cars that aren't driven on a daily basis? If the Prius is my daily driver, then I shouldn't have to worry too much about ways to extend the life of the 12v?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    absolutely. the 12v is being charged all the time you are in 'ready'.

it's a bit complicated, but as the 12v ages, the downtime between drives puts more stress on it.
    as i said, the batteries are small, and do not like to be severely discharged. so leaving a door open or a light on overnight can have a seriously detrimental effect on battery life.
    heat is also a killer, and south/southwestern car batteries don't tend to last as long.
    4-5 years maybe average, but i have never discharged them accidentally, and have gotten around 8 years out of them. i drive almost everyday, and a few days in between drives is probably not a big deal with a healthy battery.
    you can also turn off sks if you're not going to drive for awhile.

#46 bisco, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    AliPK and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since Toyota makes Lexus, they're both #1 & #2 in reliability :)

8. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep. Toyota does it right.

A couple of years ago, Infiniti (24) and Acura (18) lagged way behind Nissan and Honda. They've recently improved, but they still don't compare to Toyota/Lexus in reliability.

9. av8r

av8r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Nope. 75 on the highway, +5 MPH everywhere else. Careful accelerations, but I don't baby it. Just looked at a 2012 Fit auto with 56K for $5500 close by. I don't think you can buy a 2012 Prius for that anywhere.

hayden55 likes this.
  10. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good deals like that Fit are kind of random, like good deals for Priuses or other cars. Or often they have something wrong with them. Used Fits are about double that price here (2011 Fit Sport with 56K for $10K on craigslist).

11. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Several Fits on CL here cheap, but they have salvage or rebuilt titles. Makes me wonder if they were setting on a lot that went under water.

12. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well braddles pretty much summed it up.you should listen to em.

Fred_H likes this.
  13. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I saw a deal remotely similar to the '12 Fit (non salvage) you mentioned, I would be driving one now.

Most of the Fits in California were priced above their private party KBB prices- especially when they have lower than average mileage. The car you referenced likely has a private party KBB value between $7500 (good condition) and $8100 (very good condition). From a dealer, you're looking at a book value of closer to $10,000, depending on the condition.

I attached a mpg vs mph graph for a 2nd generation Fit Sport (5 speed). EPA highway estimates for the 2nd generation AT was 35 mpg, and I'd consider that to be optimistic at 75 mph.

Fit_sport_speed_gear_mpg.png

Lightning Racer likes this.
  14. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2012 fit with 56K miles for 5500 is a salvage title or scam

AliPK likes this.
  15. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius
    Fit ain't in the same league as prius but you can compare fit with PriusC.

16. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are right about 12v being charged all the time but with time,usually within three to four years it gets weak and hv battery spends most of its energy trying to keep it in optimum condition,resulting in big drop of mpg.

17. moviebizman

moviebizman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I say YES. The car is 7 years old and if it hasn't had any issues now it should be fine. It is a Toyota and people that keep telling him to buy a Corolla, first of all he did not even mention wanting a Corolla which doesn't have the same engineering behind it.... its smarter to go with a car where the manufacturer spent a lot more money in R&D and engineering. I will bet those 175,000 miles are mostly freeway miles also which on a regular Prius is high but not that bad. (I would just find out from the seller if and when he changed brake pads and rotors)
    My 2012 plug-in has 85,000 miles and has never needed anything but routine maintenance. Has not even needed or had any brake pads or rotors changed. (which is pretty standard) And I have driven mine pretty rough since it was brand new in 2012. It's also a good car to have to keep the mileage off your other cars you will own later. Thanks to my 2012 Plug-In Prius my 2010 Audi Q7 TDI only has 40K miles and my 2013 BMW M5 only has 20K miles.

18. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    +1 we drive our prius everywhere for errand type stuff to keep miles off my M2, M3 and GT3.

19. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Love the tree.

20. DrTrivia

DrTrivia Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In my humble opinion, high mileage cars are DIYers, not college kids on a budget. I made that mistake in college of buying a cheap car and within 2 months I had spent more than the purchase price getting it fixed up. Only lasted about a year. I also agree with some of the other posters that you're not going to be getting a good deal if you're only driving 5k a year. On the prius, it needs some time to warm up and work the condensation out of the system. If you're doing low mileage trips, you will actually need MORE maintenance, and get poor gas mileage. For $3k-$4k you can get a well maintained car from a private buyer off craigslist or somewhere. Same car as you get from the dealerships without the needless markup. Don't be fooled by the fact that it's a dealership, they don't give a damn about the car's condition if it's cheap. You're getting it in the same condition as they did when someone else traded it in for half the price. For any used car you need wiggle room. With a conventional car, with lower miles, and a cheaper price, spend the $3k-$4k (though DO take it to a mechanic before purchasing) and leave the extra $2000 for unexpected repairs (or even better, a tons of glorious tools!). That's just my take on it.

hunt251 and Raytheeagle like this.