1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is 2010 Prius safe at a car wash?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by web1b, Jun 7, 2009.

1. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't a CLEAN PRIUS make you HAPPY enough? :rockon:

2. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hallelujah, brother!

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A proper polish/wax job involves a multi-step process of washing with Dawn dish soap to help remove existing residual wax, clay barring, washing again to remove the final contaminants and soapiness from the clay barring. Then you can start your polish or wax application.

I'm still old school and us Zaino products. Some swear at them but my cars have always looked amazing with the product and it lasts a long time. :)

And as you can see, a well polished ride brings you a fan club. ;)

So guys... Break out the clay bar and start rubbin!

Attached Files:

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, that and getting to meet you would be worth it. You seem like a pretty humorous cat. Especially the Church of the Holy Prius reply. lmao!

5. STU EKSTRAND

STU EKSTRAND Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I've put hundreds of vehicles through automatic car washes without any damage to their finishes. I run an auto body repair business, and am very particular about the quality of the cleaning that is done to a completed vehicle. Years ago i might have been concerned but the new washes available are very good. Including cleaning the underside of road grime in the winter months.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Either you're prescription needs an update or you are lucky enough to have visited the newer style touchless car washes. The majority of them in my area us rollers that spin at ultrasonic speed and whip nylon diamond-tipped brushes against your paint. The is no way in heck that won't leave a mark. :eek: Haha I'm teasing

7. liverbomb88

liverbomb88 Push the Button!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah, and eventually they will all end up being the same color, so that's one less choice to worry about when buying the Gen3.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, i could wash my car i guess, but i dont (water ban... kinda weird in the Pac NW... but then again, maybe that is why we still have plenty of it) and have done the OP version of the car wash twice so far.

i do still wash the car occasionally by hand, but only when i feel reckless. unfortunately at this time of year (pollen season) one must wash the car at least once a week or it starts looking bad pretty quick

9. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    STU are those cars ones with Brushes or touchless?
    I think only one of our touchless ones has under carriage and it's like $10 per wash.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The one I go to has the undercarriage wash also. It's like $7 or $9 for the works plus RainX. So pretty similar only there are not a lot of them around.

11. nineinchnail1024

nineinchnail1024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

What's the name of the auto body repair shop I should be avoiding? Drive through car washes are hellish on paint. If you're going to defend something, focus on its attributes. For example:

"I like drive through car washes because I don't have to bend over and dip a sponge in a bucket."

12. jelle

jelle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd replace the lighting in the garage...

13. liverbomb88

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Water spots/etchings show up really well under fluorescent lighting, but not so much for swirls/scratches. Those are much more evident in direct sunlight, high power halogens, or bright LEDs.

14. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, flame much? I admit nobody in their right mind should go through a mechanical car wash, but most manufacturers recommend the touch-less washes. Most touch-less washes are easier on the car than a "sponge." I know I definitely have to go to the car wash, because my water isn't suitable for washing a car with. I just occasionally have to specifically clean the bugs manually.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sounds like exact same place i use. its $7 for basic wash. can get some sort of paint protection finish for $8 and all washes include under carriage and can add rainX for $2.

was built less than 2 years ago. does the "blow dry" finish... does an ok job for a quick clean job.

16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The new wash systems are better, but your vehicle's finishes have definately been damaged by the wash. Its impossible to wash a car BY HAND and not over time create marring of the paint...it just may not be enough damage for you to care.

bring it into my garage and fire up the halogens though...and you'll see it.

Did nobody see what I wrote? Try the Optimum No Rinse. Your water won't matter.

Touchless washes won't scratch the paint, but the harsg chemicals will do damage in other ways.

17. nineinchnail1024

nineinchnail1024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to start a flame war, but I'd never go to a body shop that recommends driving through automatic carwahes without even specifying touchless or not. The truth is, I don't care how other people wash their cars, my paint job is the only one that matters to me. I can live in peace with all the people of the forum, lol.

18. liverbomb88

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's relatively new, and it's not available OTC yet. Plus, if you look at the poll in this thread, the majority of PriusChat members have little/no desire to wash their cars (for various reasons). The only other member that I know of who has tried ONR is sdtundra.

They won't try it until they get it, and when they try it they will finally get it. Sigh...:confused:

Forgot to mention: you shouldn't take it personally. There will be those who will benefit from you generously sharing your knowledge and experience as a pro detailer. Besides, those who don't may end up one day paying you to fix all of their paint damage.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did and it seems like a great solution to my apartment problem. I'll try it out and if it ruins my paint I'm coming for you. :p

20. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I'm sorry too. I didn't mean to "escalate" the situation. :)

I have a question, I am considering a pre filter and water conditioner on the entire house. I wouldn't mind details on this rinse aid, I could use that too! I actually enjoy washing my care at home because I can take time with it, but the water in my town has degraded a lot over the past few years.