1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is 2024 Prius/Prius Prime imminent?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Jul 23, 2023.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might retain more value than a 23

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    We already know from the TSB (combined with people's VIN tracking charts) that the change went into production in mid-July or so. Availability as a spare in the US obviously doesn't reflect availability on a Japanese production line.

3/2023 was the start of PHEV production. Whereever that date distinction occurs in the New Car Features it seems to be as simple as "here's the original table for HEVs" and "here's an updated table for HEVs+PHEVs". I've not seen any evidence from the manual that there were any actual changes to the HEVs triggered by the PHEV production start, although there could have been. The parts catalogue is just mirroring that, I think. Browsing, I didn't find a different HEV part anywhere for pre- and post- 3/2023.

When the production line changes, they add a whole new slice of data to the databases and manuals - they don't replace the old info. Presumably there's a whole different bureaucracy path to get existing info modified...

bisco and AndersOne like this.
  3. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Re: Updated parts

I'm digging into parts numbers for interior colors and I came across one of the parts that has changed mid-model year. The steering wheels have been changed twice already(for a total of three part numbers). The first one ran from production start through April, the second version ran May and June, and the current part has been running since July. I think most of the difference has to do with an updated computer module in the base of the steering wheel that handles some of the TSS stuff.

#83 Hammersmith, Sep 13, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  4. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I believe production has now shifted to model year 2024.

TIS has been updated with the following dates:
    2023: 12/2022-03/2023 and 03/2023-09/2023
    2024: 09/2023-

Gokhan likes this.
  5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    And contrary to my dismissive "North Americans are convinced that something happens on a production line in Japan when the local dealers flip a digit on their website", there is something that happens there - they flip a character on the VIN of American cars! (Non-American cars get a fixed 0 there).

There may be nothing beyond that, but it means they are at least conscious of the boundary at the line, and if they were inclined to make a change they might align it with the VIN change.

6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Changes could be minimal and imperceivable between some model years, but when you sell your car, a single model year can make several thousands of dollars in difference. The car that was built on September 15 aged abruptly in one day by one full year on September 16 when they started producing the 2024 models as far as your wallet is concerned.

How about Prius Prime?

#86 Gokhan, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2023
    Teleplayer likes this.
  7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Over here it's registration date that counts. Some places have clearly visible year indication on the plates, others it's just on the documentation for "first registration".

Dealer did say "if you're ordering a car for December delivery, we'd suggest you arrange to pick it up on January 1..."

8. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Toyota doesn't make a distinction between the two at this level. A lot of the time the model ends up being listed as Prius Prius Prime. Yes, written exactly like that.

In the menu of the repair manual, sections that are different between versions will look like this:
    + Battery ECU (for HEV Model)
    + Battery ECU (for PHEV Model)

I actually agree with KMO's thought about it effectively just being a change in a VIN digit in this particular case, and I should have included that in my earlier post. Sometimes it's more than that, but in this case I doubt there are any real differences between the last official 2023 off the line and the first official 2024.

9. Jim Call

Jim Call Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    According to Toyota and all the car mags, zero changes for 2024 and intro of 2024 will be a non event timing wise.

10. David Chislett

David Chislett New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    According to the saleperson at the Toyota im waiting for my Prius at, he says ill definitely be getting a 2024 and that they only expect 1 to 2 more 2023s in... that was as of a couple weeks ago.

11. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Ive been checking the inventory online and havent seen a new car show up in more than a month

makes sense theyre basically done with 2023 production. Looks like ill be receiving one of the last 2023s made lol

12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The major changes in Gen 4 Prius Prime were the fifth seat (2020) and TSS 2.0 (2021)—both huge improvements.

The current Gen 5's shortcomings may or may not be addressed in the next few model years.

Regardless, the used-car buyers care about the model year irrespective of the changes as far as what they are willing to pay but don't care about the production or registration date. Of course, they also care about the odometer mileage.

I—being happy about my Gen 4 Prius Prime but living on a budget—will not get a Gen 5 Prius Prime unless I can bring down my car payments to under $150 a month. The Fed just just announced that we won't see lower interest rates until 2026.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model year is an artificial construct of the US market. Outside North America, it isn't used. Something to keep in mind when reading news from such places.

14. CornerCarver

CornerCarver New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    That may well be true but MY absolutely affects resale and trade-in value in the NA market. Plus, most manufacturers, including Toyota, use it as a point in time to implement small aggregated changes. I put a deposit with my local dealer for a Prime XSE a few weeks ago and because we're so close to 2024MY models I have it written write on it that it needs to be a 2024MY for those reasons.

Gokhan likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the 25 will get 16" wheel, more headroom and a wider hatch opening :p

daisy555 likes this.
  16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So, outside North America, they don't use vehicle ID numbers (VIN numbers)?

17. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but the 10th character that indicates American model year isn't used. I got my European PHEV yesterday, and the VIN starts JTDACCCUx03, rather than JTDACACUxP3 like an American '2023' Prime.

(The C denotes a different airbag configuration, but the production number is from the same global sequence.)

There is a precise manufacturing date on the certificate of conformity, but no-one cares about that. People care about dates for age, but go by registration. People might talk about 'pre-facelift or 'facelift' 'Mark 5' models, cos models tend to get up to one in their production life, but we wouldn't associate it with a year like you.

bisco and Gokhan like this.
  18. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    OK, you really have a 0 for the tenth digit? That is really odd. Perhaps this is a EU-only thing? I checked some other country and they use the 10th digit for model year.

19. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    0 there is universal in Europe, and always has been.

I think there's a global type-approval split between countries using UNECE approvals and US-compatible approvals, and maybe all US-type cars (the ones with the side reflectors!) get the letter.

That would mean that 10th character being zero or not indicates that fundamental type approval aspect, which isn't otherwise shown directly. (It looks like it can maybe be inferred from the airbag letter here, but that wasn't the case for some previous generations).

Gokhan likes this.
  20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I would say only in the EU—not only in the US. ;)