1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is $2100 reasonable for replacing a catalytic converter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Walt153, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Walt153

Walt153 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Howdy Foax! After 246,000 miles, a main battery replacement in April 2014, and a successful emissions test in that same month here in the Great Sovereign Confederate State of Georgia, our 2005 Gen II Prius appears to require a new catalytic converter. (Engine light came on intermittently -- took vehicle to dealer for diagnosis -- result indicated new converter would be required.) Dealer wants $2100. While normally suspicious of dealerships, the technical sophistication of this automobile suggests that a component such as the CC maybe ought not be replaced by a generic aftermarket product. Your guidance, please: in this instance, is the dealer's price a reasonable one?

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For a car that old, I'd go with a generic, if one is available and allowed on Georgia.

You must be in Atlanta, because my brother lives in South Georgia, and there is no emissions test there.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. MSRP of the catalytic converter is $1,648 and you can buy it for $1,236 plus shipping from this Houston Toyota dealer:
    2005 Toyota Prius Parts - AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts

2. My guess is that around two labor hours would be required to install the cc so I'll leave it to you to decide whether your local dealer's price is fair.

3. Considering the age and odometer reading of your car, you may do well to look into an aftermarket catalytic converter. Check with local specialty muffler shops to see what they can do for you. A local shop may be able to replace the cc with a generic for $500 or so.

4. If you want to defer replacing the cc, you can try first replacing the air/fuel ratio sensor located upstream from the cc. That may help the engine ECU to decide that the cc is OK for now.

m.wynn likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe, this is legal in Georgia to replace with aftermarket catalytic converter:)
    I replaced Toyota Camry 1996 catalytic converter with aftermarket one ~$350 including labor cost at Atlanta(Buford Hwy) in 2004 to pass Georgia emission test.

6. R3PB

R3PB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    My 2006 Prius has almost 186000 miles on it, and the check engine light came on two weeks ago, with the code for catalytic converter (P0420). I ordered a replacement converter from Amazon for about $65, including next-day shipping, and had it installed for $100 at a local muffler shop. Voila! Problem solved.

PriusGuy32 and Silver bullit like this.
  7. Ashyukun

Ashyukun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What were the details on which one you ordered? I've seen several places quote different diameters for the converters...

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are these super-cheap aftermarket catalytic converters actually doing anything to reduce tail pipe emissions? What's inside them; are they meeting any spec??

9. Ashyukun

Ashyukun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd have to figure if it isn't continuing to throw a P0420 code that it has to at least be doing something right, otherwise the O2 sensors would be picking it up and complaining that it wasn't functioning to proper efficiency.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, seems plausible. But with that gulf in prices, something not adding up. Maybe it fails in a year, and the "company" long gone? Who knows.

11. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mendel, It is a quirk of CA CARB rules, in CA you can only use Approved Devices. In the case of the Prius, no one has gone through the considerable hassle of getting CARB approval. So in CA you can ONLY use a new Toyota catalytic converter. In most of the rest of the world, they can sell what works.

m.wynn likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if the same precious metals are in the cheapies, or if what IS in there is as effective? Have to say: I'm clueless as to what exactly is in there, but I understand they're semi-rare/valuable materials.

Patrick links the genuine Toyota part for $1236 (still a lot less than what OP was quoted from dealership, installed). And then R3PB get's one through Amazon for $65, with shipping?? These numbers are just head shakers.

13. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The same online Toyota parts store sell a 9006 foglight bulb for $16.85.
    Ignoring the 'sold by', Amazon sells one for $6.86

That seem similar to Toyota's price of $1236 to my quality aftermarket price of $298.27 which included 2/3 of the entire exhaust system.

Buying a bare Cat is going to involve a LOT of fabrication work and welding. Being lazy, I would be inclined to buy the other 1/3 as well, just to avoid all the rusty fittings.

m.wynn likes this.
  14. Cadenza

Cadenza Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick's link is for the entire downpipe, running from the end of the exhaust manifold to the CC, and ends before the muffler section. And since it's a genuine OEM part, expect at least 100% mark-up.

The $65 CC only from Amazon probably doesn't last more than a couple years. Amazon isn't what it was since it opened its door the 3rd party sellers.... hint, hint... knock-offs from the Middle Kingdom.

As for Cali and CARB-regulated states, I wonder if the CC is really all that different or it's just regulation to minimize low quality products from being used.

m.wynn likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah with our decades past vehicles, if it wasn't the muffler, it was the next pipe upstream, that was turning into a hunk of rust. They seem better these days: stainless??

16. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    well, cheap replacement just works :D...
    as I remember, cheap cata...replacement was not good, kind of recycling/refurbished from used part.
    this did not last long enough, hey... 4-5 years life should be good... since before that time, the car got sold already ")

17. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    DONT forget, that once you DO replace the old catalytic converter, to get the bad one back and turn it in to a recycling center for $$$$. I think they are worth $80 or so.

You can help recoop your repair that way.

I second, third and fourth the discussion to get an aftermarket cat. I would get an aftermarket cat anyways, even if my 2007's went bad at my current mileage (92,000) or at the OP's mileage (but especially at the OP's mileage!)

#18 PriusGuy32, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you can only get an oem cat in California, if needed I would drive to Nevada to get one at 80% off

m.wynn and PriusGuy32 like this.
  19. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Word.