1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is 42/40 trading tire life for MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cpwaites, Mar 15, 2005.

1. mdacmeis

mdacmeis Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is true if and only if the tire supports significantly more mass than the vehicle on which it is mounted and is more reflective of "old school" mentality. Generally, this occurs only if you have much larger tires than stock, or if you have a "performance" version of specific model that provides much larger (wider) tires than the base car. In my experience, this has very rarely occurred such that tire life is adversely affected with increased pressures. Tires provided are typically often very close in weight rating to the weight of the vehicle. As a result, more often than not, factory specs tend to underinflate the tires. Increasing pressure, as previously reported, will often decrease ride comfort and increase road noise while reducing sidewall rollover during cornering (wears outer portion of tire) and evening out the contact patch. Plus you will see 2 - 5% increased fuel economy.

Lastly, keep in mind the intent of the tire placard pressures - overall ride and handling compromise. Most manufacturers set this pressure 4 psi below what is ideal for the tires to improve road noise and reduce ride harshness from pavement expansion joints, etc. I think there is enough miles and thus data to prove the higher pressures have not adversely affected the tires on the Prius.

2. wdfoto

wdfoto New Member

Not to change the subject but still about tires. Does anyone have more information about trading OEM tires for the Comfortreds. How does a person go about exchanging.

Thanks

3. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I'm at 42/40 right now for tire pressure. Tires look new after 22K miles. I rotate every 5K mile (as well as oil change). I had them at 44/42, but summer temps seemed to inflate them too much. Now at 42/40 I feel I have a little 'safety factor' to the maximum 44 PSI. I've done great so far in the traction department (although snow has been few and far between this winter!). The ride/comfort level is 'not soft', but not 'harsh' on my butt or the car. Kinda subjective, coming from a CJ Jeep, and an old Pathfinder 4WD. I'm just glad the tires are doing better than the classics (which, sadly, is the only reason I've 2 sets of relatives whom gave up on their classic(s), but now have to be kicking themselves after seeing my new version doing so well.) Not nice to gloat, but, hey, the Prius made me do it!

4. cpwaites

cpwaites New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wdfoto\";p=\"72991)</div>
    wdfoto, all I can tell you is what I did after seeing a post about it here. I called a GY dealer and told the guy that I had OEM GYs with under 500 miles, and I heard that I could trade them in. He said that program was only for GY employees but that I could trade my tires in like any other used tires. That didn't sound so good, so I called another GY dealer. (Fortunately here in Houston there are dozens of them - both of these were within 2 miles of my office.) He said something along the lines of, "We can probably work something out." So I went in and he gave me a total price for swapping for the ComforTreds that sounded good to me. We didn't discuss the specific trade amount for the Integritys, but on the ticket it priced the ComforTreds at around $90 (which is well below the $107 retail price) and credited around $50 for the Integritys (I think I posted the exact amount above). I hope that helps.