1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a 1500 Watt Battery Inverter OK?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Animal Mother, May 6, 2023.

1. Animal Mother

Animal Mother New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would a 1500 watt inverter be too much to connect directly to the 12V battery? I’m envisioning using this during a power outage to keep the fridge running and some lights. I’ve seen some recommendations for 1000 watts max for inverters for older gens and didn’t know if that would apply to the 4th gen. I sure wouldn’t want to blow my fusible link in the middle of a natural disaster.

2. GoodOldBob

GoodOldBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    According to the Weber State University professor the DC/DC converter on the Generation 4 Prius has a capacity of 100 Amps Maximum. This includes all 12 Volt loads from the car and the battery. So, the answer is a firm NO to your question. Even a 1000 watt inverter would be flirting with disaster. Here is a video from the University doing a disassembly on the Prius Inverter/converter unit.

And here is a company that sells a kit to take power from the Prius's HV Traction battery to make 110 and 240 volt AC which is what you really want. HOME | PlugOut Power, Generator for hybrid vehicles | United States

I hope that helps.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ^ pretty much that.

You could use a 1500w inverter, but if you load it up much beyond the halfway point you will have problems.

If you already happen to have the 1500w inverter, you could theoretically protect yourself by using an undersized fuse to feed the inverter. That way if you goof and ask for too much, it would just pop that fuse before anything expensive got hurt.

...and be aware that online resellers are selling dangerous counterfeit fuses that don't pop when they should. Buy locally.

GoodOldBob likes this.
  4. GoodOldBob

GoodOldBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I agree 100% , the cost of "overstressing" your built-in DC/DC converter will be catastrophic to repair.... So, take the plunge.... and invest in the technology to turn your Prius into a 3KW or 5KW generator to provide some SERIOUS "JUICE" for your house in an emergency.

And realize that this advice does not stem from any favoritism for this company...just favoritism for their engineering
    approach and their ability to provide the right products at the right time.

GoodOldBob

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    And don't forget: an inverter connected to the car is just one way to do it.

"Fridge and a few lights"-scale quiet, reliable gasoline generators are under $700 these days. Zero risk to the car.

In another thread I've been tallying the days I've been at home taking care of the baby with the power out while my wife was out of town with the Prius. A generator has proven to be the right choice for us.