1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a $229+install HD tuner better than SAT for $13/mo?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Sphyrna, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I really like HD radio, when it works. I have an $80 Dual brand head unit in my old van and as long as it keeps the signal it is clear as a bell and gives plenty of content options otherwise unavailable (with noticeably fewer commercials!). But the cost to buy and install an OEM integrated tuner add-on (no way I'm pulling the original radio or having some extra box thing on my dash!) is about $279 - $325. One year of satellite is about $160 from what I've read here.

So my question is, does the satellite signal cut-out a lot less than the Hybrid Digital one does, if at all? If it does keep the signal better, I'd go for the subscription and not have to worry about anyone messing up the installation. I'm sure satellite also has more content options but I've never had a satellite radio so I wanted to hear it from someone who uses it.

I know I could just wait to get the car next week and test it for 3 months, but hey, what is this forum for if not to field these kind of questions? :D Besides someone else without the SAT option may be wondering the same thing.

2. mplsman

mplsman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

3. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's plenty of XM content available - I like it a lot. There are unregulated channels, but there is also radio Disney and other content that is specifically 'family safe'. Lots to choose from... hundreds of channels. I cannot compare to HD, since I've never had that, but I can't see how you could want richer content. As for the reception quality, that's another matter. That seems to depend a lot on the area in which you're driving. I have my share of annoying dropouts, more than with my previous standalone XM unit, so I can only give it about a 6 out of 10 on the reception question.

4. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went to hdradio.com and found this:
    HD Digital Radio • IT’S TIME TO UPGRADE!

It integrates with the existing radio, which is important to me.

I really wanted to get the HD for more news channels, and the SAT subscriptions for news channels are more reasonably priced than for the full SAT packages. So I don't think I'll go for HD right now. If HD were under $100 I'd go for it.

5. kash

kash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    you can get xm/sirius lifetime for 399 so.. just another option to add

6. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Really, I didn't see that option on the website. Are you sure it is still being offered? Can it be transferred to another car if/when you sell your current one and buy another SAT-equipped car? What if satellite radio goes away in favor of internet radio?

7. Gen2wjp

Gen2wjp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Peripheral Electronics units listed on the link above may not be compatible with XM equipped 2010 Prius radios? The application notes for Toyota mentions an "AM-SAT" button on the OEM radio. They don't address the 2010 models on their web page. Are you sure the units will work with your Prius III?

8. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  9. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I never tried it, but my radio does have the AM-SAT button. I mostly listed that because I found it quickly, but I remember the other options were all the same cost +/- $20 or so. This one looked like the most complete.