1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a Balky Rear Liftgate Hatch Actuator Problem Common?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Another, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My 2007 for as long as I've had it has had an intermittent issue with the rear hatch not opening with the outside push button. I previously noted in another post what I did to make the manual release more convenient with a lanyard and noticed the paracord solution as well. Today I decided to try and figure out what the reason is for the need to do the manual release anyway.

I've previously removed, cleaned and reinstalled the disintegrating push button with a new rubber cover.

Sometimes even when the normal button outside press method is used, there always for as long as I've owned the car seems to be a slight delay in opening the hatch after button push. Sometimes two presses are needed. I always thought that this was normal. Is it?

Anyway, when I watch the actuator from inside the car while someone else is attempting to open it from the outside, I notice that it often does not operate smoothly. There is a point at which the motion stops as the locking mechanism rotates.

The locking bar seems to get stuck about midway through its unlock arc of travel. Sometimes it eventually continues on and sometimes it does not, then it needs a manual release. The manual release does not require a lot of pressure.

The latch mechanism does not look particularly dirty or gummed up so I'm wondering if any of you folks know why the movement is not smooth. Do these actuators just fail after 15 years? It appears to be a sealed unit that would preclude disassembly, cleaning and lubrication.

Finally if needed, replacing it looks pretty easy. If I have to get a new one, would Doorman or another brand be a good choice? The Toyota part is as usual expensive and I figure a used OEM one may have the same issue as I am having as it would be as old. The car is 15 years old and so I'm not looking for something to last another fifteen years anyway.

Fred_H likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's a motor apparently these modern actuators aren't well anyway and they're not that expensive mine does the same thing I just wrapped on it a couple times and it's never done it again and I have about four spares out of several cars that I've stripped so I think I'm pretty good shape.

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you ever lubricate it? If so, with what?

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That dry spray business I don't need some new-fangled name and can I don't know some on the shelf right I just don't see it we shot some of that in there. And then I just got the idea to take my little small two durometer rubber mallet and tap on it dinkk dink. And pretty much that ended that it never did it again. And then I strip so many of these cars I've saved a couple they're over here in a box with stripped parts off Gen 2 Prii.

5. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I always thought the release needed a double push. Once to release the lock and a second hit on the switch to release a safety. Sort of like the safety latch hood on cars but electric instead of manual.

Fred_H likes this.
  6. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In my experience that is the case if the doors are not unlocked already.
    This is a different issue here. There is a hesitancy in the travel of this actuator in its arc of travel. Will look for a new used one to replace it with a used one. Three bolts and a plug. New OEM is $200+. Apparently no aftermarket options exist which is strange given that they have aftermarket door lock, just not liftgate actuators. As @Tombukt2 noted, above, the motors seem to go out.

Fred_H likes this.
  7. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So I went to a pick and pull lot yesterday as @Tombukt2 recommended to see if they had any used actuators. Had a bit of a drive but found a front end damaged 2006 Prius that had one.

The best part was that the actuator on the 2006 had obviously been replaced recently with a new OEM! The thing looked like it just came from the factory except this one wasn’t $200 to $300.

Five minutes of work and $10 later and I’m back in business.
    Works like a dream. No more hesitation when unlocking. The old one never, ever worked this well.

Also while I was there, I took the combination meter that I’ll replace the capacitor on and keep in inventory. Was $13. Best way to learn how to get to it is on a car that can’t be harmed. YouTube in one hand and tools in the other.

Need to research reprogramming methods if I eventually swap it.

Fred_H likes this.
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've popped in heads up displays in and out of my own line from 07 to '09 vehicles and have never programmed anything you just drop it in and plug it up and you know set up the kilometers or miles an hour and that's about it I don't think there's any programming if there is I don't know what it is and I have to have the late 06 to 09 type the early 06 back to the late 0405 won't fit won't plug up correctly things won't operate

9. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yep, you are correct, it is required just to put in VIN and ODO reading. Neither of which is really needed. In many states the ODO reading no longer is required to be disclosed on older cars. Anyone buying my car will definitely be past 200k or 250k hopefully anyway

10. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Supposedly the likely worn out motor as @Tombukt2 referred to on the actuator can be replaced with a new 20mm flat shaft motor that costs about $5 or so on eBay or Amazon. I’m going to try taking my old one apart, cleaning it and replacing the motor when I get a chance. That way I’ll have a spare so that in fifteen more years I can swap it. Also according to Murthy’s Law, so long as I have a spare, it’s likely I’ll never need one.

11. LuvBug

LuvBug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New from Toyota is over $200. Amazon now sells a made-in-China rear hatch trunk latch and actuator for ~$80...ebay sells previously owned ones from dismantlers for ~$40... Aliexpress or Amazon sells the actuator motors for ~$16. I opened the actuator with a utility knife/boxcutter and tried adding lithium grease and cleaning the brushes and still no go on the actuator function.

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    They're a few here off working salvage cars central NC I'm in