1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a EVSE box on the charging cable necessary?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Juicytree, Jun 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Juicytree

Juicytree New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I am new on this forum and about to take delivery of a new Prius Prime in the next week or so.
    The Prius Prime PHEV is about to be released here in New Zealand for the first time and I am told a consignment is presently on the water on its way here - and one is mine!
    In New Zealand here our domestic electrical system is 240 volts and the car comes with a cable with an EVSE box and with a domestic three pin plug. I am considering a second cable to carry in the car and I note that a number of public 'destination' chargers only take the type 2 16A 62196-2 plugs. The car socket is also a type 2, different from what I understand is used in the USA.
    I can source a type 2 cable with M & F plugs without the EVSE box because the cable with the 'box' will cost an arm and a leg at my Toyota dealer. I understand the 'box' gives some charging options which I believe will be unnecessary for my second connection.
    My question is, can I charge my car using a plain cable (without the EVSE box)?

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yep both different from the US models.
    I"d start looking around and getting confirmed answers
    If type 2 is phase3 only or you can use type 2 on phase 1 and if the car supports both, etc

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! our destination chargers have cables attached, ready to plug into the car, or are simple 120v or 240v sockets, which we would need the evse cabe for.
    you may want to consider adding nz/uk to your header to get more local eyeballs.
    all the best!(y)

4. Juicytree

Juicytree New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand the outlets are all single phase that are using the Type 2 sockets/plugs here in NZ. One national retailer is rolling out chargers without cables and they have a Type 2 socket, hence my question about simply plugging a cable without an EVSE box on it

5. Juicytree

Juicytree New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your welcome Bisco. I have been grateful for your input to my EV knowledge (sofar)on this forum. As mentioned in my opening post, New Zealand Toyota is only just starting to introduce their plugin hybrid Prius and I feel that dealer support and knowledge will be lagging for some time yet.

bisco likes this.
  6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry I didn't answer your question in my first post.
    Generally, one needs a EVSE to get the cars charger to switch on.
    To help you out as best as I can from where I am I'll give you a link to a site that I use.
    PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You Westhaven Retreat Collingwood NZ (northwest tip) shows three kinds of plugs available there (Two Tesla HPWC, 1 Blue Commando 16 A and 1 Wall outlet 15A )
    Most plug types I see in NZ on plugshare are Tesla - CHAdeMO - CCS-SAE

Our Primes and Prius Plugins in the US use this connector PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
    Yealands Winery Marlborough, Seddon up in the northeast has one J-1772 available.

I also did a search using - type 2 16A 62196-2 plugs - from your post
    IEC 62196-2 Type2 Male Plug 16Amp [IEC 62196-2 Male Plug16A] - $46.00 : EvChargingCables.com

At the bottom of the page you'll find
    Insert arrangements and functional definition
    which are the connections to the car the EVSE monitors while charging.

you could try to order a manual from https://techinfo.toyota.com
    that should answer your questions definitively.
    Or you can wait for your new owners manual that should also have the info you need.

bisco likes this.