1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a hybrid right for you?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Jun 25, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is a hybrid right for you?

Gas-electric hybrid cars are turning out to be hot sellers. Would it make sense for you?

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - High-rolling exotic car aficionados are familiar the idea of months-long waiting lists for new models. Now gas-sippers are joining the rubber-scorchers as waiting lists for the Toyota Prius keep getting longer.

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yup, twice.

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid
    2004 Toyota Prius

3. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    DonDNH, can ya give us a run-down on likes and dislikes of your hybrid fleet? I'm jealous, I'd love to choose between TWO hybrids, everyday! Maybe some real-drive-time comparisons. I originally liked the Civic (back in summer '03, before the '04 Prius was out). Now I see the Prius at the top, obviously 'cause I own one now! Thanks, appreciate your experiences...

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I wish I had the option of driving my choice of cars; but the Honda Civic Hybrid is in CA with my daughter at med school, so I have to suffer with the one month old Prius.

I went with the Honda in '03 because I consider the classic Prius to be un-atractive. The Honda drives just like any other Civic on the road and the IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) does indeed help with the performance with what otherwise would be anemic performance. I drove the car for the first 20K miles and averaged about 50 - 52MPG in my 90 mile daily commute.

I considered another one when the wait for the Prius started getting longer and longer. But I lucked out and actually got mine when estimated by the dealer. If the wait had gotten out of hand, I probably would have gotter another Civic.

The Prius is a totally different car. Heavy on the electronics and gadgets. I love it. SS/SE is the best option available and the HID headlights are terrific. So far my highway milage is very reasonable.

There are a few annoyances however:
    1. I don't like how the Auto A/C button flips between Auto and Off. I would like to to go into manual mode between the extremes.

2. I also would like the seat to have an height and lumbar adjustment.

3. The radio needs to have a ambient sound sensor and adjust the volume accordingly. As it is, I'm constantly lowering and raising the volume when in traffic.

4. The dreaded gas it up really slowly to get a full tank irks me. I suspect come winter when it's 20-30 below zero it will irk me even more.

5. There is a bit of wander in cross-winds or when a big truck passes.