1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a plug-in hybrid really the best of both driving worlds?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Feb 27, 2015.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far limiting the PiP, Toyota (and Lexus) has repeatedly stated they don't think Lithium ion batteries are the big end point in the battery game. Toyota doesn't have a big investment in a Lithium Ion battery factories (they have a rather small one in Japan) and they have said there is a LOT of life in left in NiMH. If the new PiP can offer us 20 or 25 miles on EV (like the Ford Focus Energi or Ford Fusion Energi) and it has a NiMH, I would consider that an upgrade over my Lithium Ion battery based PiP. Might in some strange way make me keep my PiP as a classic since not a lot were made.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I guess we will hear a lot more in the coming months. If the Bolt announcement speaks to anything, maybe we have a lot of nice surprises coming down the pike. Maybe Toyota will even tell us relative advantages of NiMH vs. Li ... in more details than we now know.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's why i qualified it with, 'as long as they have to pick a range'. but you're right, never say never ever.:)