1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a Prius Right for Me?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by n2cars, May 7, 2007.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 10 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]439316[/snapback]</div>
    I first tried cotton gloves. They were too warm and didn't grip the wheel very well. In contrast, somewhat to my surprise, thin leather gloves are not very warm (and this is in Dallas, mind you), and they grip very well.

Actually they're just leather work gloves from a hardware store. They look dorky, but why pay more at a car toys store.

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ May 11 2007, 06:12 AM) [snapback]439840[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I might consider that if the gloves aren't too bulky. The gloves I wear in the winter are too bulky for the steering column buttons, and I have to take them off to be certain I don't push the wrong button.

Dave M.

3. kdk84

kdk84 New Member

I just wipe down the display when it gets to an annoying level of fingerprints with a dab of water and a paper towel. Fixes the "problem" in seconds. As for difficulty seeing in sunlight I just bought a display hood to help shield the display from the sun.

4. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ May 10 2007, 09:58 AM) [snapback]439140[/snapback]</div>
    I got mine fully loaded (everything but leather seats) for about $26,000.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 10 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]439295[/snapback]</div>
    It's more than just environementalism for me. I'm a software engineer and I value efficiency, usability, and technology. IMO, Toyota did a fantastic job creating one of the best engineered cars on the road.

The whole experience is great: you have a lot of luxury features like keyless entry, Bluetooth technology, GPS nav, voice command, auto-dimming mirror with Homelink, eCVT, etc., but Toyota also did some innovative things with in the way they arranged it all.

Much of the instrumentation, for example, is an inch below the windshield, right in your line-of-sight when you're driving, and the MFD is elevated above the dashboard for easy viewing. Both of these placements make it easier to check things like speed, mileage or GPS location without your eyes leaving the road. By contrast, some other cars, Lexus models included, have MFD screens located much lower, even below A/C vents in some cases, forcing the driver to take their eyes further off the road to view the screen.

Additionally, the electronic menus are intelligently designed and cleanly organized in the MFD, eliminating the need for the dozens of physical buttons/sliders/dials you'd need to replicate the controls, thereby eliminating clutter.

Most everything you'd need is controlled through the buttons on the steering wheels, the interior feels spacious even for my 6'4" frame, etc.

Evironmentalism fooey! The Prius is a well-designed and, I dare say, fun car to drive.

Oh, and regarding the fingerprint/MFD issue, one thing you can do is buy an aftermarket, "fingerprint-free" screen protector for about $15.

http://www.screenpatronus.com/screen-protector-indash.html

5. cubbyg

cubbyg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I actually am selling my Lexus GS300. I bought a Prius in January and wanted to wait and see how I felt about the change. I will honestly tell you that the Prius is NO Lexus. Having said that, it does have the engineering and forethought that makes Toyota #1. It is just FUN to drive but is not put together like the Lexus. It is light and slightly-rattly nimble drive. The Lexus is heavy responsive quiet and a pure luxury comfortable drive.

I do not drive as much as you are planning, and think that you would be much happier in a Nissan Altima hybrid. They just released the full navigation package which comes with a slightly modified suspension with an even better drive. I just drove it last week. It is a wonderful auto. Great comfortable responsive powerful drive. I think this is well worth your consideration.

6. powphilprius

powphilprius Elshawno~

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Only you can decide. I drove a thrashomatic for 4 years & saved, then I was ready for a new car & the pri was an upgrade. I have no trouble with its comfort, but I do consider it basic.