1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a Prius right for me?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ojc11, Sep 14, 2009.

1. ojc11

ojc11 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am shopping for a new used car. The route I travel to work is an up and down, curvy mountain road. Would a prius give me more mpg than a honda civic?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unless your commute is very short, a Prius will give you better mileage.

Tom

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Very short" is about 3 miles or 10 minutes.

4. ojc11

ojc11 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Tom I was just reading your comment on a different post regarding mileage. I drive 62 mi. one way. I had an 02 civic sedan(gas) and it was giving me around 36 mpg. On the route in the winter time it snows up there would this decrease mpg on a prius.

5. ojc11

ojc11 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'm new to chat rooms so I am responding twice. Duh! any how my drive is 62 mi. one way. My 02 civic sedan was giving me about 36mpg. I am leaning towards a civic because it is all I know, but I like what I hear regarding the prius and it would be cool to go green or greener. My budget only allows under $10000 and I would like to get an 05 or 04 prius. The all have about 100000 mi what do you think?

6. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On winding, hilly roads the Prius has the advantage of capturing regen, which the Civic does not. At 100,000 miles, a Prius is just barely broken in. I saw an 04 advertized on PC recently for under 10k.

1 person likes this.
  7. ojc11

ojc11 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your response. I noticed that you have an 04. How has it treated you? Any recalls, problems, issues?

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For that sort of drive I would expect something in the low 50s in the summer, dropping to the low 40s in the winter. Driving technique makes a difference, so a lead footed driver can do worse, but with good technique the figures could go up to the high 40s and 50s, maybe even better.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anything that decreases mpg in a normal car decreases mpg in the Prius. It's not like the Prius magically uses more fuel while a normal car under the same conditions won't. Also, with a mountain road, you have the advantage of having the engine off on the other side of the mountain while in a normal car, the engine is still running. Also, part of the downhill part (depending on how long it is) will be done with regenerative braking which means your brake pads aren't being used. This could also save you money on brake pad replacements.

1 person likes this.
  10. ojc11

ojc11 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How does regenerative braking work.

11. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Note there are things that tend to break and need to be replaced at this mileage, for example the inverter coolant pump.

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Very Well! :pound:

At speeds over 7 MPH, when you brake mildly what actually happens is that the big motor (MG2) become a generator and stores electricity in the HV Battery. This is energy you can use later instead of gas. Under 7 MPH, the real (friction) brakes work and of course in panic stops it uses real brakes. There is are limits to how rapidly you can store energy, and how much energy you can store in the battery, when you need to disapate energy rappidly (panic stop) you use the real brakes, When you 'fill' the battery but still need to brake more consider B mode on the shifter. (It is kinda like a jake brake, it uses engine friction as a brake)