1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a Prius the right car for my commute?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by highway_commuter, Jul 6, 2018.

1. highway_commuter

highway_commuter New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm new here.
    I've been reading several threads for awhile and haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what I'm looking for. I would appreciate any helpful advice that anyone may have, and thanks in advance. (y)I drive 55 miles each way to work. Pretty flat terrain. Almost exclusively highway. Currently driving between 70-75 mph. I'm willing to modify that to accommodate higher MPG's to a point. I won't be driving 55 in a 65 but I would drive 65 in a 65. :) I would also use this vehicle in other ways as well, but this will constitute 80% or more of my driving.
    FYI- The one I'm considering is a 2009 Prius. I drive an 09 Camry now and get around 28-30 MPG. ( I am aware that I would get better gas mileage at slower speeds in that as well) However, my best mileage has been no higher than 33mpg. I would like to see 45mpg or greater. Is this a realistic endeavor? Please advise, Thanks.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    70mph in a Gen 2 gets about 46mpg. Dropping to 65mph could bump it up 1 or 2mpg. A headwind or tailwind will change the mpg too.

So, I think your expectations are realistic.

srellim234 and Data Daedalus like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    an older, higher mile prius with unknown background may not get the average. some testing would be necessary, and tires are especially important.

heat and cold also affect hybrid mpg's more than a straight gasser.

finally, i would do a calculation of gas/cost savings at expected mpg difference vs the expense of switching cars.
    all the best!(y)

4. highway_commuter

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info. Just an FYI, the vehicles I’m looking at are former utility company fleet cars with low miles. Several are around 50k and one is near 100k. All 2009 models. I understand that infrequent driving is not a good thing for the battery. I’m also aware that I am assuming some risk. I have a few other vehicles in mind if any of these don’t appear to be in good condition, however, I would really like to try out the Prius. The Camry will be driven by my wife as we are selling the vehicle she drives now which happens to be my truck!! There isn’t enough time to cry all the tears it takes to do that situation justice. On a lighter note, is there anything in particular that I should look for?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2009 was the last year of the 2nd generation so it is pretty bulletproof. I think most of the TSBs/Recalls should've been done (or rather applied to the 2009 at the factory). However, just run the VIN through a Toyota dealership on the car you're interested in to see if there's any outstanding TSBs/recalls.

Try to avoid the models with HID headlights (I don't think the fleet vehicles would have it but just double check). Those have proven to be problematic.

Also there was a super base model that was introduced for 2008 MY (and carried over for 2009) that removed cruise control and heated mirrors (Among other minor items). Fleet buyers may have chosen that so keep that in mind if you want cruise control and/or heated mirrors.

Get the model with stability control (good safety feature to have) and that package will bring in Smart Key and a backup camera (so a higher resolution 7" screen).

Check this page for package features. USA is listed first. Scroll down to 2009 (note there are other countries listed so don't scroll too far down)

2G Prius (2004-2009) Standard and Optional Equipment (Some Countries) | PriusChat

srellim234 and ITBland like this.
  6. Simbaboy

Simbaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2009 also.
    It was Winter when I first got the car and was getting 38-42 MPG.
    Once the ambient temps got higher I could easily get 42-45 MPG.
    Then I learned how to drive the car to increase my MPG and got up to 44-48 MPG.
    My Wife without thinking about it routinely gets 50-54 MPG.
    I think you will get 38-42 when you first get the car but will improve.
    Simba

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You live in the snow belt in South Bend Indiana, the Prius isn't much of a snow drift buster. I had a 2008 and loved it.

8. belbert@metrocast.net

[email protected] Junior Member

It's perfect for your commute! Buy it...I have a 2007 with HID and wouldn't drive the car without them. Even if I had problems with the OEM HIDs, replacing the bulbs and ballasts would be easier with the OEM HID headlight assemblies.

9. highway_commuter

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent! Thanks for all the help! If all other things are equal...which mileage vehicle should I choose? One with 48K or something higher? I know in a standard gas vehicle I would choose lesser mileage, but doesn't the NiMH battery need a consistent charge/discharge regimen through regular driving? I hope I'm not splitting hairs but if there is a reason to avoid the lower mileage I would like to know for certain. Thanks, again.

10. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can attest it’s an excellent car for highway commute. I do about the same miles as you and I’m getting 44-46.

When I first got it I was getting 47-48 but that’s me driving to maximize fuels. Now I’m getting 44-45 driving like my regular habits which is 77 mph.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    48K miles on an 2009 is not severely low. We have 76K kms on our 2010 3rd gen), no hybrid battery problems. It sat for 15 months post production too.

srellim234 likes this.
  12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a NiMH battery ages sitting around is more of a problem than when it is new.

Personally, I'd put more stock into low overall milage, when it is that low. You can always hit the HV battery with the HA conditioning system if your HV battery starts to show signs of a weakening battery. Or just whack a new OEM battery in if if it fails completely. When the car is that low milage, it kinda makes it an easier decision.

Just my view.

Raytheeagle likes this.