1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a "route up" (instead of "north up") navi display mode possible?

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Offline, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My wife gently harassed me again today about setting the navigation display in her v/Five/ATP to a "route up" display mode like she uses on the Garmin portable GPS she uses in rental cars.

The term "route up" refers to a navigation system display mode in which the vehicle location pointer always points upward/forward and the map continually reorients itself as the vehicles turns left, right, etc. The term "north up" refers to a navigation display where the map remains in a due-north orientation while the direction of the vehicle location pointer changes.

I have been through the navigation setup options, reread the navigation manual and searched this forum but could not find any related information including questions on this forum. I suspect this is another one of those features that have long been common on portable GPS devices but is missing from the Prius navigation system.

Anybody?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On my 2010, you select the compass in the top left corner and this changes between north up and route up. Try this and see if works on your v.

I much prefer the route up with the car always moving towards the top of the screen.

Kurt E Sanders and Offline like this.
  3. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    YES! I think we have a winner! It's a little hard to tell since the Prius is facing mostly north while parked in the garage but I could see the vehicle location pointer change to pointing straight "up/forward" when I pressed the compass icon.

Now I'm going to go back to nav manual to figure out why I could not find this setting.

Thank you again! (My wife will be happy!)

jdcollins5 likes this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep, that's how you toggle between North up and route up. ;)

Took me a while to figure it out before as well.

5. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Duh ... It's on page 2 of the nav manual and found on other pages now that I know what to search for in the online nav manual. I just now read in the Quick Reference that there is a 3rd viewing mode - will check that out ... I likely would have learned more about this car if I drove it more than a few blocks every few weeks to wash and fuel it.

Edit: OK, forget about 3 viewing modes on the ATP nav system - it seems to have only two. Maybe the online Quick Reference is for the regular nav system.

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just so you know it is exactly the same basic interface found on all Toyota and Lexus navigation systems since the late 90's. Every Lexus RX we have had (RX300, RX330, RX350, RX400h, RX450h) has had navigation and operates exactly the same way. It is just the convention Denso uses (they make the nav unit for Toyota).

So if you have a nav specific question, you can probably find the answer on any Toyota or Lexus model with navigation for the past decade+.