1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

is a special fault code machine needed for hybrids

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fna, Aug 21, 2013.

1. fna

fna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I am looking to buy a used prius. Looked at a 2008 and when I took it for a buyers check, my mechanic told me that it came back with a C2300 and C2318 (both transmission related). I passed and told the seller.

The seller took it to the dealership and the dealership said that false positives happen when you hook up a hybrid to a non-hybrid code detection machine. They are claiming that they are not seeing any codes. Not sure if he is blowing smoke up my backside. Are the machine really that different where a hybrid needs to be hooked up to hybrid specific fault code machine ?

Thanks

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The short answer is yes. The Prius has several ECU's that control the hybrid system that standard code readers cannot communicate with. You need a Prius specific scanner to read the proper codes.

Some Advance Auto and Auto Zone's can read the Prius specific codes for you. Of course the dealers have the Techstream software made for the Prius.

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to Prius Chat!

Ask the seller if you can take the car to a Toyota dealer of your choice and pay them to pull the codes and do a courtesy inspection. While they are looking at it, they can check the traction battery and other items. As said above, Generic code readers don't always pick up all of the Prius codes, plus sometimes they can misdiagnose (give wrong code). Techstream is the best (Toyota dealers). There is another code reader you can use on a laptop, but I can't recall what the name of it is.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just to add to the above, the difference is not strictly hybrid vs. nonhybrid, but just that the Prius has so many proprietary ECU's compared to other cars. I am not sure as to the root cause of the false positives returned by some generic readers, but it may have to do with the bus protocols or bus speed used in the Prius, as necessitated by all that extra traffic.

The list of Prius capable readers includes: The Torque app for Android phones, ScanGaugeII, and the miniVCI (eBay). Autoenginuity has not proved reliable for some PC'ers, but hopefully is improved by now (?). The cost of going to Toyota just for a scan makes ownership of one of these options more than worthwhile. Such is the current era's equivalent of opening the hood and checking the oil. (Which Prius owners need to do as well!)

5. fna

fna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bumping thread. to get over post limit. have a legit question but it wont let me post.