1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a TPMS Stem Service Kit Recommended When Installing New Tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Robert John, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Robert John

Robert John Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm going to install new summer tires on my Gen 2 2008 Prius (145,000 kms), the TPMS transmitters are OK (no warning light).
    Q1: Aside from finding a garage that can do the swap w/o damaging the transmitters (as discussed in this forum - thanks!), is installing them with a new TPMS Stem Service Kit recommended?
    Q2: If so, what type is best/easiest/whatever? I've noticed there are three variables: hardware only or valve stem assembly; clamp-in or snap-in; and two materials (rubber or metal).
    Your experiences & recommendations appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have the original tpms sensors from 2008, then it's best to replace them. They will all eventually fail one at a time. They normally go about 10-12 years and your set is way over that.

Good new they have come down significantly and the quality has improved a lot. You can get a set from Amazon for $45.99 at the USA Amazon website. I'm sure they have something similar if you search the Canadian site.

ROADFAR 315MHz Programmed Tire Pressure Monitoring System Sensor TPMS Sensor Fits For Lexus For Scion For Toyota 4pcs 4260706011 4260733011

SFO likes this.
  3. Robert John

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like I can get a compatible set for around $100. But, although the info with the ads say "...no need to reprogram, just trigger with tpms scan tool." it sounds like I need a special tool to get the Prius' computer to recognize even 'programmed' transmitters... and that tool is not just an OBD-II (which I have). From what I've read in this forum, getting new transmitters to be recognized can be a challenge... even if you take it to the (gasp!) dealer. Your thoughts appreciated.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As mentioned, typical battery life for an OE sensor is about 10 years (don't have enough time on aftermarket replacements to get a feel for their battery life). I usually service or replace stems with new tires. The OE is a metal (aluminum) stem, and that almost always has corrosion at the rim hole. If I'm installing an AM sensor I go for a rubber stem type- it usually has less corrosion problems.

Two options for "programming" new sensors. 1st is to have a TPMS tool that can write the IDs from the existing sensors onto the new AM sensors- ie "cloning" the old ones. There are TPMS tools that can "ping"The the existing sensors to read the ID code and pressure data. If a sensor is dead then OE sensors have the ID code on a sticker that you can read when it has been removed from the wheel. (Or you can use a high end scan tool to read the ID codes that are stored in the TPMS ecu).

2nd is for an OE sensor(or AM that already has an ID code). There you need a (high end) TPMS tool or scantool that can connect to your Prius via the OBD2 port and then "write" the new ID codes into the TPMS ecu.

That's the only ways that will work. Clone the existing IDs, or write new IDs. Both require fairly specialized tooling.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#4 mr_guy_mann, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    JahT likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you buy the OEM sensors (Denso), I believe they require you to link them to your car before they can be activated. The Roadfar ones are identical but you just have to program the sensor codes into your car. Either way, you'll need to record the sensors onto the car's ECU. I've used 3 sets of the Roadfar brand sensors and they've been perfect. Can beat $45.99 for a set of 4

JBuckPrius likes this.
  6. Robert John

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank-you everyone for your advice… I didn’t realize that putting on a new set of summer tires would be this complicated. After reading everything I could in this forum about TPMS sensors/transmitters and installing & ‘activating’ them… I’d appreciate clarification.
    Q: If I purchase a Mini VCI J2534 cable + a new set of (42607-33021) ‘pre-programmed’ AM Prius-compatible sensors, and download the latest version of the Toyota Techstream software (that appears to be V17.00.020 – and free) onto a laptop w/ Win 7… after the new tires & sensors are installed, should I be able to get my Prius’ to recognize & activate them… or am I missing something? Thanks!

7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or -- forget the TPMS. While shops aren't allowed to mount wheels onto your car that don't have tpms sensors there is nothing to stop you from having them mount the tires onto your rims and you put them on the vehicle at home. Saved me $200 on my winter tire purchase. Of course, I check my own tire pressure at least once a month -- including spare, which is not covered by TPMS anyway.

Kris

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Yeah, just live with the TPMS light through winter, a lot less grief.

9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Never owned Gen2, but TPMS sensors are recommended to be serviced with a service kit every time the tire gets changed. Assuming it is an OEM TPMS sensor, the service kit consists of grommets, nuts, valve cores, and caps. It is specific to a type of TMPS sensor, so you can not interchange. The photo below is for the TPMS service kit for Gen3 and Gen4 Prius (including PP), but you should make sure that it would fit on your Gen2 TPMS sensor.

That being said, if your sensors are from 2008, it may be a good idea to go ahead and change all four sensors to a new one, either OEM or aftermarket. The battery in those sensors does die after 5-7 years. Yours is definitely overdue.

See this thread for more info: TPMS Service Kit | PriusChat
    upload_2022-4-20_14-50-3.png

10. Robert John

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks folks... all good points. I don't have sensors on my winter rims & tires so I've learned to ignore the tire warning light. Doing the same with my OEM summer rims & new tires would be no different, (and I'm fairly conscientious about maintenance, checking fluids, pressure, etc.) Sooo...
    Q1: I'm left with several choices: a) have the garage install the new summer tires on the summer rims with the original OEM sensors, and if one or more goes belly-up - ignore the light; b) ditto, but with a new TPMS Stem Service Kit; or c) 'do-it-right' and spend approx. $150 (CAD) on a Mini VCI J2534 cable + new set of AM Prius-compatible sensors, and download Techstream onto a laptop (IF that's all I need to do the re-set/re-learn/activate myself... which is still TBD). Hmmm...
    Q2: Any opinions/experience on what’s better: a TPMS stem service kit, or a set of valve stem assemblies?

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like a plan. (y)

12. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My TPMS are still the original and still work fine -- although I don't care if they work or not. My fobs still have the original batteries and still work fine. A couple of years ago I had a lot of time for reflection and decided to stop worrying about the little stuff -- and mostly ALL of the daily stuff I used to obsess over was little stuff.

As David Lee Roth so famously said:

"There are two rules to living well. The first is, don't sweat the little s***. The second is, it's all little s***. In other words, it's all okay. We may be lost, but we're way ahead of schedule."

Each to their own path -- as long as you make way at the appropriate time. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And, of course, everyone has their own threshold. For me, I like some small challenges -- like figuring out how to get in the Prius when the fob finally dies.

kris

#12 cyberpriusII, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  13. Coasty

Coasty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Reading posts about TPMS light going on. I have a 2007 Prius Touring. It has reached the 200,000 Mike mark.
    The TPMS light came on on a Sunday. Had a gas station check pressure to be on the safe side.
    No shops open on Holiday.
    Today, I had Les Schwab check and fill all tires, if needed. They said two were “just a little” low. Last year, I had one sensor replaced at Les Schwab. I think it came to $120. including labor. Question: my tires are in good shape. But to be safe, I want to fix the TPMS light (sensors) if needed. What is a generally good price for 3 (maybe 4) sensors and labor?

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $120 for one sensor? Dang, shops are charging an arm and a leg for this.

On Amazon you can pick up 4 roadfar branded sensors for about $42.00. I would just have them install all 4 at once (better if you're doing this when installing new tires)