1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is an expensive Engine Replacement worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AMickeyG, May 19, 2022.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    august, if you can wait

2. Yorkie

Yorkie New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just joint this forum. I am the first owner of a 2012 Toyota Prius 2 with 240K Miles. The main battery is still original. The car has a new issue up to around 225K miles. My mechanic replaced the MAF Sensor and Inverter. A few months ago, the mileage was about 235K miles, Check Engine was on and the thermostat icon was on. My mechanic told me it needed a new engine. I also notice my Prius burned oil. I went to another shop and replaced the Prius with a rebuilt engine for $2,500 + Water pump ($25.00) so the total is about $2,750. 2000 miles later the check engine was on with P0171 code. The same shop replaced the fuel injectors for $700 but it did not fix the problem. I still get P0171. I reset the ECU and fill up with premium gas. I hope, it will fix the problem. I will bring it to a different mechanic if the problem still exists. I will not spend more than $1000.

jolana likes this.
  3. kurtscash

kurtscash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    --------- Hi AMickeyG - hope all is well... how about an update on the engine battery etc ??